PDA

View Full Version : Pressed tongue

fenderbelly
27th October 2012, 05:04 PM
Spent most of today doing pressed tongue.
Picked up two beef tongues from the butcher ready to cook, IE he had them in brine for two days.

Into the pot went 2 carrots--two sticks of celery--a rough chopped onion--8 pepper corns--two bay leaves and a tea spoon of vinegar.
simmered for three hours, skinned and chopped and into the meat press with some gelatine made by mixing a satchet with a cup full of the cooking liquid.

I couldn't reist doing a taste test while cutting it up and i have to say it was delicious.

It will be better when it's cold i think.

i think i'll have to look for a peas pudding recipe soon.

rod1949
9th January 2013, 09:31 AM
I think Braun (not sure of the spelling) is another name for this. My mum use to make this when we were kids in the 50s and 60s. It was alright until I was told what it was made from and then yuk.

Stewie D
30th January 2013, 10:28 PM
Mmmm tongue. An old fashioned delicacy that my mum used to make a couple of times a year when I was but a lad.
Tastes great as a salad meat or in a sandwich with home made chutney.
Mmmm again

You are thinking of brawn Rod and my mum used to make that too.

Stewie

wheelinround
30th January 2013, 10:50 PM
Dad used to make pressed tongue ..........my mother used to press tongue to mine usually a back hander when I stuck my tongue out.:q

Peas pudding hot peas pudding cold peas pudding in the oven/fridge nine days old.

Fred may have what your looking for recipe wise will have to look for it been sooooooooo long since having it. Sue refused to make it once she became aware of its delayed reaction.:;:B

Lets see off the top of my head bacon bones or ham hocks, split peas soaked over night, onions,

Well here ye ga lad reet from the ole toon Ham shank and pease pudding (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/foodanddrink/recipes/9795650.Ham_shank_and_pease_pudding/)

dabbler
30th January 2013, 10:58 PM
Stewie beat me to it but it's worth repeating.
Mmmm - tongue.

My preference is lamb's tongue but they're so damn fiddley I usually settle for ox / beef.

fenderbelly
31st January 2013, 09:49 AM
Dad used to make pressed tongue ..........my mother used to press tongue to mine usually a back hander when I stuck my tongue out.:q

Peas pudding hot peas pudding cold peas pudding in the oven/fridge nine days old.

Fred may have what your looking for recipe wise will have to look for it been sooooooooo long since having it. Sue refused to make it once she became aware of its delayed reaction.:;:B

Lets see off the top of my head bacon bones or ham hocks, split peas soaked over night, onions,

Well here ye ga lad reet from the ole toon Ham shank and pease pudding (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/foodanddrink/recipes/9795650.Ham_shank_and_pease_pudding/)

Thanks Ray,thats the one.

About 3 years ago a young guy i know brought two tins over from the UK.
I searched the net in Oz and found a place that does indeed sell it in tins.
They only sell it by the carton ( wholesaler ), i forget what the price was but combined with the shipping cost it was way too expensive.

wheelinround
31st January 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Ray,thats the one.

About 3 years ago a young guy i know brought two tins over from the UK.
I searched the net in Oz and found a place that does indeed sell it in tins.
They only sell it by the carton ( wholesaler ), i forget what the price was but combined with the shipping cost it was way too expensive.

:puke: from a tin Sacrilege, split pease from Coles or Woolies or even a decent Asian food store.

Stewie D
19th February 2013, 10:03 AM
Wheelinround , that page link has been deleted.

Stewie

fenderbelly
21st February 2013, 12:12 AM
Wheelinround , that page link has been deleted.

Stewie

Pretty sure it was this one.

Ham shank and pease pudding (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/recipes/9795650.Ham_shank_and_pease_pudding/)

Pilchard
21st February 2013, 01:44 AM
Pressed tongue is not Brawn, brawn is fromage de tête (head cheese) yes both are a type of terine but brawn is made traditionally from a whole pigs head, trotters for the geletin (setting agent), tongue and sometimes brain included, herbs etc.
Tongue is well just tongue, more of an english dish traditionally, so no french equivelent that i know of. Id love to be told otherwise though.

i love both :D

Stewie D
21st February 2013, 06:42 PM
Any french recipe for tongue I've ever seen has either been a version of langue de boeuf which is cooked whole and served hot with a sauce over it or just chopped up as part of a terrine as you mentioned. The Italians however do a very nice version and years ago I had it at a friends house. I'm not sure what they call it though.

Stewie