PDA

View Full Version : sharpenning thicknesser blades

Sii
28th October 2012, 11:19 AM
I have a friend who has a factory set up for cabinet making, he asked me if it was possible to sharpen thicknesser blades yourself, he recently bought a small electric wet stone for sharpening smaller tools but would consider spending more to buy something that would do wider blades. Can anyone suggest anything with a budget new or 2nd hand of up to 2k ?

NCArcher
28th October 2012, 12:07 PM
A tormek T7 and a planer blade jig will do the trick. It will be OK for touching up but grinding a nick out would take a while.

chambezio
28th October 2012, 01:57 PM
I am probably opening up for someone to broad side me. For years now I have been using my 8" grinder to sharpen the blades on my good old TOWA electric hand plane. Those blades are 76mm X 3mm. I just set the tool rest and very quietly slide the blades across the wheel until satisfactorily ground. I then just sweeten the edge with an oil stone. I really don't "sharpen" in the true sense. It has worked just fine for years. I make sure the edge is straight the whole time of grinding.
Now as regards to thicknesser blades.....I do exactly the same. The thicknesser blades are 65mm X 12mm X 300mm long. I do exactly the same as the Towa blades. It is not hard to keep the cutting edge straight. Another thing is not to let it get hot. Continual dunking seems to work for me. As I said I just go steady the whole time. when the grinding is done I lay the blade down on the bench and let it protrude a bit then run the oil stone over the cutting edge a few times and be careful not to slice your finger while doing it.

China
28th October 2012, 10:45 PM
This one has been around for awhile needs a spit and polish I have personaly vieed this machine and it is a solid machine,
he may be wiilling to haggle
Used Edwards bladegrinder knife grinder Tool & Cutter Grinders in Wingfield South, SA Price: $900 <33025> (http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/bladegrinder-knife-grinder/33025/)

Sii
29th October 2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your replies, i appreciate your input i will see my friend on wednesday and pass on the info. regards sii.