PDA

View Full Version : 40's to 60's speed boat

sinjin1111
2nd April 2005, 06:52 PM
Just wondering if anyone is building or thinking of building an early speed boat.Ie.
Such as a Riva craft. Chris craft hakcer or whatever. If you are or are thinking about it. I would very much like to hear from you. Curious as to what you have found out about the cost of the interior stuff. Not so much the cost of hull etc.
I spoke to a guy in melb who has built a hacker around laet 50's design. He had done a fabulous job of it. And picked a design that had a flat wind screen and timber surround. It had a bit of a barrel back as well so it wasn't one of the usual slab sided hackers.
Sinjin.

Daddles
2nd April 2005, 09:39 PM
TAFE last year, and again this year I think, built the David Payne Ski boat in the six month course. Lovely little craft. Ply clinker. Went together really well.

Richard

sinjin1111
3rd April 2005, 09:27 AM
Were you involved,,,or you saw what they were doing..
Sinjin

Daddles
3rd April 2005, 12:29 PM
Were you involved,,,or you saw what they were doing..
Sinjin

I was working on the 6m Motor Boat next to them ... so you could say I was an observer. Still, that meant I spent six months watching what happened, wandering over to make offhand comments, taking secret satisfaction at watching them make the same mistakes we'd made when doing the short course (we built by Yellowtail, not the ski boat), etc. She's a lovely boat, that little ski boat.

Richard

STEPHEN MILLER
7th April 2005, 02:06 PM
Douglas Mawson TAFE at Port Adelaide are running the same course on the same Ski Boat in the second half of 05 you should see if they run anything the same in Vic :)

tyronsea
14th April 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi Sinjin,

I an seriously looking at building a boat whose plans I have found on this web site:

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RunaboutsInboard/riviera (http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RunaboutsInboard/riviera)
It's a 17' "Riviera" which is very Chris Craft like but with more sweeping lines like a Riva. I am currently drawing the frames etc in AutoCAD to allow me to scale them to then build a scale model to see if it all fits together.

Gordon

sinjin1111
15th April 2005, 12:18 PM
yepp looks great!...are you going to go a little bigger than the 17' The one that i saw very up close and personal on the bay was 19' and used a 350chev.
It was just stunning to look at and the guy said it cost him about 60k to build.
Like you i very much like the Riva craft, Infact the one i like the most is the Super Aristine. But there is way to much chrome work to build something like that. This one is saw on the bay (PortPhillip) had very little chrome and had a full wooden flat screen and even though the boat had lots of barrel back the flat screen still looked great. I can't start anything for a year maybe two even but it is on the must do list. Let me know how you get on with yours i would be very interested. tell me are drawing in 2D or 3D. I use Pro-engineer full time.
Sinjin.

tyronsea
15th April 2005, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I'm using AutoCAD 2000 in 2D. Sadly I have no experience in 3D. I am extending the boat by 10% so it should end up being arounfd18' 6".

I am also going to increase to beam at the stern so that I can rear mount a small block chev and use a V drive. As this design is quite old I plan to model the boat to check how it looks in the flesh and to see that my modifications don't stuff it up.

I am drawing all the frames full size in AutoCAD and then scaling them down to 1:4 when printing them. I would really like to find someone with a CNC Router to cut the frames out so that I can get them correct first time.

Do you know anything about CNC routers and small (very small in this case) jobs? (anyone can feel free to hop in with some advice here!)

If the model looks OK then I would like to build the full size boat. I estimate the cost to be around 30K over a number of years. I have built another boat but it is only small. Here is a link to a web site that shows it : http://users.bigpond.net.au/oozs7011/splinter/default.htm

regards
Gordon

Daddles
16th April 2005, 01:02 AM
That's an impressive build Gordon. Hope the engine's ok after that cooling drama. Give us a ride next time you bring her to SA eh? :D Please :D

Cheers
Richard

sinjin1111
16th April 2005, 08:38 AM
Just so happens i'm in charge of our wookshop...we just happen to have an 8'x4' router..
sinjin

tyronsea
17th April 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Sinjin,

I know nothing about CNC Routers but think that having the frames cut out accurately would be fantastic - especially as there are a lot of curves on the sides and deck.

I am keen to build a 1/4 scale model after I have drawn the frames etc in AutoCAD. What sort of data does a router need to cut the bits out and how small a job can it do? Most of the frames at 1/4 scale are only 5mm thick.

I have also started drawing the boat in 3D! I have done the transom and it looks really good in 3D.

Gordon

sinjin1111
18th April 2005, 08:34 AM
Hello TY, we can go back and forth for some time trying to explain 3D abd routing.
But if you would like to mail me at [email protected]. I can you give you my number and i can explain what i know. Most people using NC routers are really doing what is called 2 1/2 D routing which means the cutter follow a single path around the shape you require. 2 1/2 D just means the router my only plunge into the job a certain depth do some cutting then change heights and then cut more. True 3D for wood requires a very serious sized machine. And generally a lot more axis's than most machines on the market.
The machine we have can do real 3D however as much as we would love to use the capability we just don't get enough work to use the software. So we just do 2 1/2 D 100% of the time. Drawing your boat in 3D is for sure better than 2D. But to of real advantage you need surfacing capability. What this will do for you is allow you to draw your sheets in there caurved form and then unwrap them into a flat form. From there you go direct to your router and it cuts it out.
As exciting and this sounds once you get into this sort of technology you have to follow from the very start. And means you have to be so accurate in everything you do. To route parts like your frames particularly near the bow or anywhere you start having compund curves you need a true 3D machine. Anyway gladly talk to you more about if you like.
Sinjin