PDA

View Full Version : Metal Band saw

iron bark
29th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Afternoon all,

I am still in the process of acquiring tools and machinery for my workshop, with the eventual aim of building a NSWGR live steam C32 class locomotive, and will therefore need to cut metal. I am wondering if any body has had any experience with this saw
New 5" Industrial Portable Variable-speed Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Taiwan) | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5-Industrial-Portable-Variable-speed-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw-Taiwan-/380492132388?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item5897193024)
advertised by Ozmestore in Adelaide.

It won't be doing a lot of work, but I still want something that is up to the job and last for a while at least.

Any advice/experience along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ned

Michael G
29th October 2012, 09:40 PM
Have a look at Tongleh's "Which Bandsaw" thread - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/bandsaw-160798/
As we have just discussed this topic.
I have an old model 4" version of an ozmestore saw (see the link in "which bandsaw"). Just by the looks I think I'd prefer the 4" version as it has the cast base where as that one looks to have a pressed metal base. I can't see it mentioned in features either but the one you are asking about does not say it has an automatic cutoff. I find that nice as I can set a cut going and then do other things (mark out, drill holes etc) while it is cutting. The 5" saw does do a 60 degree angle though where as the 4" only does 45 degrees.

Michael

iron bark
30th October 2012, 08:15 AM
Have a look at Tongleh's "Which Bandsaw" thread - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/bandsaw-160798/
As we have just discussed this topic.
I have an old model 4" version of an ozmestore saw (see the link in "which bandsaw"). Just by the looks I think I'd prefer the 4" version as it has the cast base where as that one looks to have a pressed metal base. I can't see it mentioned in features either but the one you are asking about does not say it has an automatic cutoff. I find that nice as I can set a cut going and then do other things (mark out, drill holes etc) while it is cutting. The 5" saw does do a 60 degree angle though where as the 4" only does 45 degrees.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I missed that one, so will check it out

Cheers,

Ned

bosox
31st October 2012, 02:53 AM
What are the specifications of

New 5" Industrial Portable Variable-speed Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Taiwan)?

iron bark
31st October 2012, 08:54 AM
What are the specifications of

New 5" Industrial Portable Variable-speed Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Taiwan)?

Here are the specs as per his Ebay site.

5" Portable Vari-speed Swivel Head Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Taiwan)
*this is a high quality professional portable swivel head variable speed metal cutting saw (made in Taiwan), it is in light weight machine and high standard security & safety, with easy carry handle, suitable carry to any work sites, it can cut different shape of material, mitre scale for angle cutting can reach 0-60°, this machine comes with 5" positioning vise, swivel head, magnetic on/off switch, built in with trigger switch, feed rate by handle with trigger switch when you cut.
*cutting capacity
90°: round 125mm, square 120mm, rectangle 120mmx120mm
60°: round 40mm, square 40mm, rectangle 65mmx40mm
45°: round 77mm, square 77mm, rectangle 120mmx77mm
*motor: 300w/240v/50hz/single phase/varible speed
*blade variable speed: 25~75MPM
*blade size: 13x0.65x1440mm
*packing size: 73x39x48cm
*shipping weight: 28kgs

bosox
1st November 2012, 12:36 AM
COnsider those aforementioned specs, you think it's worthy to buy that bandsaw?

Michael G
1st November 2012, 07:19 AM
G'day Bosox
The bandsaw that Ned is interested in is a horizontal machine for metal cut off - if you click on the link in the first post of this thread you should be able to get a picture up. I know you've spent some time in the woodworking section looking at what they use (vertical) bandsaws for there, but usually at this end of the forum they are the start of the process (cutting to length) rather than towards the end (producing a final shape).
Personally I think that it's not a badly spec'd machine and although there could be better out there, it will probably do what Ned wants without a drama.
For most of us these machines are hard to beat and while there are always improvements that can be made they are remarkable machines really - I've had mine for around 10 years and all that I've needed to do is replace the blades every so often.

Michael

bosox
1st November 2012, 07:57 AM
Pretty smart of you.
I didn't think that it is a badly spec'd machine. I found it real fine.

Afternoon all,

I am still in the process of acquiring tools and machinery for my workshop, with the eventual aim of building a NSWGR live steam C32 class locomotive, and will therefore need to cut metal. I am wondering if any body has had any experience with this saw
New 5" Industrial Portable Variable-speed Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Taiwan) | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5-Industrial-Portable-Variable-speed-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw-Taiwan-/380492132388?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item5897193024)
advertised by Ozmestore in Adelaide.

It won't be doing a lot of work, but I still want something that is up to the job and last for a while at least.

Any advice/experience along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ned

----- If you think this is the one you need , you can go for it....