PDA

View Full Version : What do i do now ???

spankingpigeon
31st October 2012, 05:27 PM
well i was half way through turning this bowl and had to leave it for a few days and in that time the weather went from around 18 up to 33 and as a result the bowl has cracked quite badly.
So my question is can i fix it (fill with CA ) or do i throw it in the fire:?

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/spankingpidgion/IMG_2467-1.jpg
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/spankingpidgion/IMG_2468-2.jpg
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/spankingpidgion/IMG_2469-1.jpg

dai sensei
31st October 2012, 06:55 PM
Pretty nasty cracks :o Although not continuous, some continue a fair way, so unless it is extremely valuable timber I'd burn it. If valuable, you could use thin CA then medium CA, but leave for a at least 24hrs to ensure set before turning (very cautiously :rolleyes:)

Kev Y.
31st October 2012, 06:57 PM
I would be tempted to fill the cracks with some coloured resin and then finish turning.

smiife
31st October 2012, 07:06 PM
hi spankingpigeon,
personally i wouldn't bother with it unless it is some rare timber:no::no:
i have spent too many hours trying to ''fix up '' cracked timber like this
only to be dissappointed with the finished item,:~:~
just my 2 bob's worth,
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Brett Hammond
31st October 2012, 07:26 PM
If the timber is worth keeping, rather than CA try 5 min Araldite. You can mix some colour in if you wish. Give a day to dry and away you go. I have used it and never had a problem.

Regards
Brett

spankingpigeon
31st October 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
No its not rare it is weeping myrtle but i might try some Araldite with some colour.
what would you use to colour Araldite ?

Brett Hammond
31st October 2012, 08:36 PM
I use black as it looks like gum veins in the timber. Then again I really need to use it when I am turning a really open burl.

Brett

ian thorn
31st October 2012, 09:12 PM
you can buy colur powder but i would use it as a planter, fill it with food for the birds or use it to keep warm in the winter

Cheers Ian

Tim the Timber Turner
1st November 2012, 06:58 PM
Chuck it and start again with some decent timber.

Life is too short to turn crap timber or drink bad wine.

Cheers

Tim:)

wheelinround
1st November 2012, 07:09 PM
I use coffee grounds and epoxy or even some times slow CA. it would look good and worth trying for the effect it will give.

dai sensei
1st November 2012, 10:42 PM
Trouble with epoxy or using fillers is that you will not penetrate for the full depth of the crack, and as some of those go a long way, I wouldn't risk it :no:

tea lady
2nd November 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
No its not rare it is weeping myrtle but i might try some Araldite with some colour.
what would you use to colour Araldite ?
Not that I'd bother with this one, you can colour resin with anything dry. Dry powder poster paint. Ceramic stains. Coffee grounds. :shrug: I have also been experimenting with nail polish. You could even get the proper resin colouring stuff. But as the consensis seems to be, I wouldbn't keep struggling with this one.

Next time put half turned things in a plastic bag if you have to leave it for a while, or even in a bucket of water. (not with the face plate on it obvously. :doh: ) Just turn it to th epoint where you can get jaws onto it again later. :cool:

spankingpigeon
2nd November 2012, 05:02 PM
thanks again every one for commenting guess ill have to throw it in the fire, ahh well just another learning experience then lol

spankingpigeon
4th July 2013, 10:40 PM
ok well i had a bit of spare time today and noticed that i still had this wood so i thought ahh why not:- as a lot of the splits had come back together and this is the end result ( finished with eee and carnauba wax)
Not the prettiest bowl but i saved it :yippee::clap2::woot::hapy::fingerscrossed:275632275633275634275636

chuck1
4th July 2013, 11:37 PM
nice save! well done! I think it came up nice!

Drillit
5th July 2013, 04:09 PM
Me thinks - burn. Too many cracks and I think dangerous to turn. A very catch and doomsday could erupt. Drillit.