PDA

View Full Version : Seeking for Cheap Nursery in VIC

Wes2008
3rd April 2005, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to landscape my garden for a newly built house. The money in my pocket is running low. I have been to "Chris and Marie's nursery", but they are not as cheap as they sound. I was wondering anyone know a nursery selling plants and soil that is cheaper than average in VIC??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Wes

Gumby
3rd April 2005, 11:11 AM
I think the only way to get a garden started cheaply is to buy small plants, some of which will grow quickly. I have some of those 'neighbours be Gone' trees from Chris & maries and they have taken a while to get goingh but have done well the past year. I recently had to landscape a unit I had built and the Knox Council specify the plants as part of the permit. I know what you mean, it isn't cheap. Check out Presti nursery in Ferntree Gully rd. I'm not sure of the number but it's near the corner of Ferntree Gully and Ashton Rd, FTGully. They are smaill but cheap - been there for years. Apparently Chris & marie are closing down anyway.

Sir Stinkalot
3rd April 2005, 12:22 PM
Apparently Chris & marie are closing down anyway.

I think that they are closing a few stores ... not all .... but that is only what I have heard.

Kev Y.
3rd April 2005, 12:55 PM
I have it on good authority the Chris and marie are not closing down.. just re-scaling..

("Lust of my life" used to work for the adertising company they dealt with)

Couldnt you do what every one else does?

Take a walk around your neighbourhood and "borrow" pieces of plants you like the look of?

Sir Stinkalot
3rd April 2005, 01:10 PM
http://www.diversityplants.com.au/scripts/default.asp

duckman
3rd April 2005, 01:23 PM
I think that they are closing a few stores ... not all .... but that is only what I have heard.
They have been stating in the ads. that Emerald and I think Hoppers Crossing are closing. I've trained myself to tune out when their ads come on, but I'm certain that Emerald is closing but not so sure that the second is Hoppers Crossing. :)

Dan_574
4th April 2005, 02:00 PM
I used meredith nursery and got about 200 plants (tube stock) for about $1.30 each delivered. Have a look on there website r give them a call and see what they have got. I think there all natives but if you do your homework it will turn out well. I've planted about 300 tubestock on my acre and most are going really well, I only watered them in when first planted for about a week and then have left them to there own devices. Some have gone absolutely berserck. If you were to water them all the time in a normal garden environment they would grow great. They say tubestock grow twice as fast as larger plants. There are heaps of nurseries that sell tube stock, so go that way if you want a cheap garden. Another cheap alternative for mulch is to ring a tree lopper and see how much they sell there mulch for, it doesnt look as good but it does the job and its cheap, I got about 10m3 for $100.

Eastie
4th April 2005, 02:35 PM
Check your local/shire council as a few of them have their own nurseries that propogate area indigenous tube stock and sell to the public (normally open one day a week). The prices vary from free to $2 per tube.