PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Levels

Metung
3rd April 2005, 07:19 PM
I'm about to embark on the owner builder journey and erecting the frame looks like being part of it. I am obviously going to need an excellent level but the range available with respect to length, placement of levels and construction material is rather extensive. Can anybody make a recommendation as to what would best satisfy my requirements. Thanks in anticipation.

ozwinner
3rd April 2005, 07:22 PM
Stabila.

Al :)

bitingmidge
3rd April 2005, 07:34 PM
Al,

You surprise me!

Stabila!! Treated nicely will last a lifetime.

Do you have any of those gelatine bubbles that other brickies of my acquaintence put in their levels to assist in getting a true reading??

Cheers,

P :D

ozwinner
3rd April 2005, 07:37 PM
I dont need a level Midge, I do have one which I check occasionly for accuracy on my work. :D

Al :p

Metung
3rd April 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks all but the advice I was seeking was regarding what brand, length of level, material it is made from, bubble placement etc.

ozwinner
3rd April 2005, 08:10 PM
Ok.

You cant go past a 1.2 Metre Stabila.
Will cost you about $80-100.
You wont have to buy another lever ever if you use it for part time work.
I use Stabila levels as a brickie, and they last about 2 years, but I do abuse the ( insert 4 letter word here) out of them.

Bubble placement is totally errelevent!!

Al :D

boban
3rd April 2005, 08:19 PM
Ok.

You cant go past a 1.2 Metre Stabila.
Will cost you about $80-100.
You wont have to buy another lever ever if you use it for part time work.
I use Stabila levels as a brickie, and they last about 2 years, but I do abuse the ( insert 4 letter word here) out of them.

Bubble placement is totally errelevent!!

Stabila can handle almost anything.. Just watch a brick for an while and you'll know what Al is talking about. Just follow what Al says here and you wont go wrong.

Unlike the Stabilas, most cheapies are not spot on out of the box. Just test them and you'll see what I mean.

johnc
3rd April 2005, 08:51 PM
The stabila is hard to beat however there are other quality brands available but up Metung way you will find your local hardware should have a 4' version kicking around. Unlike brickies your vials should remain free of mortar, just make sure you don't drop it they get really cranky when that happens. JohnC

journeyman Mick
3rd April 2005, 09:04 PM
Gotta disagree on the Stabila, I always look after my levels, had clips to hold them in place in my toolbox, never dropped them and the bloody things would end up being out. I don't mind paying top dollar for top notch stuff but I'm no longer impressed with Stabila.

Next level was a Pommy one, "I" beam construction with replaceable and adjustable vials (can't remember the brand, but Betts rings a bell). Great, thought I, be tha last level I'll have to buy, unfortunately I didn't notice till after I bought it that the bubble was way too small for the reference lines in the vial, had about 3mm either side, so you had to guess when it was centred.

Current level is a BMI, German made, double box section (box section has extra web inside), can't fault it. My next door neighbour (block layer) has one also and prefers them to the Stabilas. The BMI to get is coloured orange (trade use) whilst the silver one is for handyman use.

Whatever you get, for general construction work, you need a 1200 level with 1 level vial and 2 plumb vials. Steer away from ones that have vials at 45deg or adjustable vials for finding pitch (unless it's around $100 or more) as it will be junk. Don't be tempted to get a cheapie, you may end up with a very crooked building because of it. Everyday before use (and anytime you drop it) check it. To check: put against wall and level, draw a line, end for end it and check, it should sit on the same line and show level. Repeat for both plumb ends.

Mick

ozwinner
3rd April 2005, 09:24 PM
Everyday before use (and anytime you drop it) check it. To check: put against wall and level, draw a line, end for end it and check, it should sit on the same line and show level. Repeat for both plumb ends.

Mick
Gees mick your really going to confuse him. :confused:

Hes probably in IT, and gets lost without his keyboard.

echnidna
3rd April 2005, 09:55 PM
Well if hes in IT he'll just have to write a program for it.

soundman
3rd April 2005, 10:47 PM
If hes one of those techno dudes He'd probably like a digital level. :D
I know a bloke who has one & its great.
Absloutely accurate (after you've gone thru the calibration routine). Starts beeping within 5 deg of level, plumb or 45. Beeps faster as you get close and continuously when its spot on. Thats when you pull the triger on the nail gun. :)
You don't even have to see it.
Great for installing kitchens by yourself.

johnc
4th April 2005, 12:25 AM
Mick,

I recently replaced an old stabila with the Betts 1200mm, can't say I've had any trouble reading the bubble/lines on the vials. It does seem a better level than the previous stabila although the adjustable angle vial is not something I use so that counts as a gimmick for the use I put it to.

John

Dan_574
4th April 2005, 09:40 AM
I built my own house last year and I bought a 2.4m level, I dont know which brand(but I know its red) BMI sounds familiar. Any decent brand will do, its all about price and personal preference. As long as you treat it well it will last a life time. I tell you that the 2.4m was invaluable when checking the frames that we put up and anything else we did that required a level over a long distance. If you are doing your frames get the longest you can, then get a shorter one for other work. Another thing I found when building was spend a little extra get quality and get the right tool for the job, even if your only using it for a couple of times. The right tool makes a huge difference.

Metung
6th April 2005, 07:29 PM
This was my first post and I thought I was joining a woodworkers forum but it is fairly obvious that I have joined a pshysic's forum instead. I was in IT but the poor old brain couldn't keep up with all the new technology - I became redundant!!!! I went to Bunnings today looking for a BMI but they didn't have any so I bought a 1200mm trade Stabilia instead. I hope to bloody hell that those frames go up vertical and no doubt I will be seeking more good advice in the future. Thanks again. And soundman - shouldn't it be 'us' techno dudes.

soundman
6th April 2005, 10:00 PM
Ok I must confess to being a techo dude. But a "techno dude" sorry I'm not into that style of music. :D