PDA

View Full Version : New Turner-To-Be Already In Trouble!!!

Morbius
4th November 2012, 01:09 PM
Good afternoon All!

I just picked up an old Carba-Tec lathe from eBay, and after a couple of repairs, it's ready to roll.
It is fitted with an unknown, possibly third party 80mm chuck.

I've included a picture of the chuck. Despite the deceptive holes around the rim of the chuck, it looks like they aren't for allen keys.

So, my question is this, how do I adjust the jaws?

Thanks,

Craig

DJ’s Timber
4th November 2012, 01:18 PM
Are there any holes on the front half of the chuck?

Have a look at page Seven of this PDF (http://www.vicmarc.com/downloads/4%20Jaw%20Chuck%20Manual%20Aug%2010.pdf), whilst it's not the same chuck it should hopefully sort you out if it's the same type of chuck.

A Duke
4th November 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi,
As a non turner it looks to me like a form of scroll chuck.
You hold the back part firm with a rod in one of the holes and turn the front part and the job backwards and forwards to tighten or loosen the jaws.
That's my guess.
Regards

Morbius
4th November 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi,
As a non turner it looks to me like a form of scroll chuck.
You hold the back part firm with a rod in one of the holes and turn the front part and the job backwards and forwards to tighten or loosen the jaws.
That's my guess.
Regards

Gents,

I don't know what blood type you guys are, but it is worth bottling! That worked and I can now get the whole thing working :)

Thanks very much,

Craig

Jonzjob
5th November 2012, 02:43 AM
The biggest problem with that kind of chuck is that you need three hands, especially if you are mounting anything largish! It would certainly concentrate my mind too with those jaws rushing round?

Once you have made sure that turning is for you it may well be worth looking around at single handed chucks. I started off with a double handed jobbie and it was a real relief when I changed types. I can't say whay would be a good un for you because my experience is restricted to my Axminster K10 chuck and I doub't that you could get it down your way. There are some very good and not too expensive chucks on the market and I'm sure someone will come up with some info for you..

Welcome to the slippery slope of turning by the way. I'm sure you will get as hooked as the rest of us :D

Tim the Timber Turner
5th November 2012, 10:18 AM
Hi John

Welcome to your new journey you have embarked on.

Here is some very serious advice.

Remove that chuck from the lathe and hide it somewhere, or better still chuck it in the rubbish.

As a new turner you probably have very little experience of the dynamic forces involved here.

If you use this chuck :oto hold wood, there will be very little wood to jaw contact, so very little holding strength, especially with soft wood.

Should you decide to use this chuck there will be 4 jaws, protruding and revolving at high speed, in the same area as you are going to put your fingers.

If you used this chuck in a Workplace, OH&S would have a field day with you.

Should you accept any lesser level of safety in your own workshop?

Enjoy your new journey, but please think of the safety aspect.

Cheers

Tim:)

BobL
5th November 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not quite as negative as Tim is about the chuck jaws being able to hold something provided nothing more than about 25 mm in diam is being held in those jaws, and chances are they won't open up much further than that anyway.

However, I do agree with Tim and Johnzjobs that the jaws represent a significant danger ie knuckle remover and tool catcher, and should have the outer corners removed and rounded over.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=239586&stc=1

Jim Carroll
5th November 2012, 01:23 PM
Good afternoon All!

I just picked up an old Carba-Tec lathe from eBay, and after a couple of repairs, it's ready to roll.

I've included a picture of the chuck. Despite the deceptive holes around the rim of the chuck, it looks like they aren't for allen keys.

Thanks,

Craig

Alright as a paperweight not much else.

Check your blood group so you know what to quote when in the hospital

These eat flesh and bone :D

Morbius
5th November 2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks very much fr all the advice.

I didn't realise I was purchasing a finger mincer!

So,

Can anyone here suggest a reasonable replacement?

Thanks,

Craig

Christos
5th November 2012, 05:30 PM
That question has been asked before and different opinion can caused quite a long discussion. :rolleyes:

How about I start by saying look for a chuck that you can loosen and tighten by one hand. I am also a beginner and have two chucks at present but I suspect that the more turning I do the more likely hood that I will acquire a couple more.

The PDF attached in this thread gives you one brand to consider.

ian thorn
5th November 2012, 09:11 PM
Check out the tread above yours on chuck advise it may help

Cheers Ian

ian thorn
5th November 2012, 09:18 PM
No one has asked is that the only set of jaws with the chuck if you are near or going to carba tec take the chuck with you i cant tell what make it is but Nova ja
ws may be compatable to get you started without spending to much other wise i agree with the others paper wieght or door stop And join a club if you can they give good advise and help

Ian

Paul39
6th November 2012, 09:49 AM
Craig,

As you do not show the latest multi-thousand $ lathe, I assume you are trying to turn with moderate expense.

Your chuck has two piece jaws so that the outer ones may be removed and replaced with others. As pointed out above there may be chuck jaws from other chucks that may screw right on or may be modified by drilling a hole or holes.

Even if you get a new chuck immediately do not discard this one. I can be fitted with large 1/4 circle jaws that can be used as a chuck for finishing bowl bottoms.

If nothing else, the chuck can be fitted with a 150mm round of steel plate and make a nice stout face plate.

If you wish to use the chuck as-is to hold spindles, paint the ends of the chuck jaws a bright color so that the phantom image it makes while turning is quite visible.

Rule Number One: Do not stick fingers or hand into any rotating or fast moving object.

Working with power and hand tools can be dangerous. A lathe can and has killed people. I have been working with wood and metal power tools for 58 years starting at age 15. I have all of my fingers.

Join a men's shed or get some instruction from an experienced turner. Do a Google search about lathe safety and follow the rules.

Have fun with your lathe. Welcome to the addiction.

Morbius
6th November 2012, 10:25 AM
Craig,

As you do not show the latest multi-thousand $ lathe, I assume you are trying to turn with moderate expense.

Oh yeah! Definitely on a budget :)

I blew my budget on the lathe, postage and the repair to get it working :C

I just looked at the GPW site and drooled, but will have to prove to my adult supervisor that this was a wise purchase before spending anything significant. Thanks for the frugal advice - much appreciated. As you will see from the attached pic, not the latest and greatest, but a start :)

Craig

old pete
6th November 2012, 10:42 AM
Good afternoon All!

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig,

Another respondent has given you the correct advice on how to operate the scroll chuck. From what I can see in the image it looks like an old Vicmarc though I have never seen that pattern of jaw in a Vicmarc scroll chuck.

I'd do another two things with your set up that influence fundamental safety considerations. I'd get that belt completely enclosed for starters. That's a very dangerous set up the way it is now. The next thing I'd do is to shift that on/off switch. It will be invisible under shavings within seconds of commencing to turn and well placed for turning either on or off accidentally. Whilst about moving the switch I'd replace it with a magnetic drop out switch so the machine can't turn on again in the event of a power outage and restoration for whatever reason.

Welcome to the world of turning. It's a steep learn curve at the outset but you should be getting there and feeling more confident and competent after 40 or 50 hours practice.

Incidentally you don't need three hands to operate that chuck. I've got two of those rod operated Vicmarcs and you soon get the hang of getting the work secured quickly and accurately although I admit that the type operated by the large Allen key is certainly more convenient for many holding solutions.

Cheers Old Pete