PDA

View Full Version : Offcuts in Melbourne?

sjm
5th November 2012, 02:26 PM
Can someone please recommend a place in the west/north of Melbourne that has a range of offcuts of various metals?
I'd like to be able to dig through a bin and pick out pieces that interest me. I don't want full sheets or long lengths, just small bits of plate, tube, bar etc.
Thanks!

doug3030
5th November 2012, 02:35 PM
I buy steel from Maloof steel at brooklyn. they have a scrap bin. contents variable. I think its $5/kg

Stustoys
5th November 2012, 02:57 PM
Metal recyclers are worth a try, some will sell you stuff by the kg, others arent interested.
Pays to know your prices though, for heavy stuff new can be an option, on the other side of that light stuff that is almost free.

I buy steel from Maloof steel at brooklyn. they have a scrap bin. contents variable. I think its $5/kg

$5/kg for steel? except for very small stuff it would be cheaper to buy new.
If my tables are correct 1m of 20*3mm flat black weighs 0.483 kg/m and costs $1.39/m inc.
50*10= 4.029kg/m $11.24/m inc.

Stuart

Brobdingnagian
5th November 2012, 03:06 PM
It has been a while since Ray and I have been there but Sims metal in Broadmeadows is where we get our ingots of various types of Aluminum and Bronze, last time I was there they had drums and drums of various metals like Tin, Zinc and Copper I cant recall seeing any scrap iron or steel though.

sjm
5th November 2012, 06:43 PM
Great, thanks for that. I had a look at Malouf's web site, and they will cut to any length. That's perfect.

nearnexus
6th November 2012, 10:08 PM
The scrap steel price is currently 15 cents a kilo. I took a half a ton down the recyclers last week.

So at $5 a Kg they are making a fortune.

I'm not in your area, but I find that the demolition merchants are a good bet for used steel.

Many of the local steel merchants only have light gauge stuff.

Rob