PDA

View Full Version : little money pot

michael_m
5th November 2012, 09:25 PM
Pocket money is the order of the day in our household at the moment, with our eldest (5) starting on the round of jobs-for-coins. My middle child is only 2 1/2, and doesn't quite understand the concept, but will often demand (and receive) a coin as well. The problem for her is she has nowhere to put it, other than in my eldest's moneybox.

So, because I'm the wonderful father that I am, I've made her one. And being the efficient person that I am :p I thought I would use it as an opportunity to try out the mighty midget hollowers I bought on ebay a while ago.

This is what I came up with:

I intend to put a slot in the top tomorrow, but I may just leave it like this (and my daughter can go without for a little while longer :D) The midgets took a bit of getting used to, but I was starting to get the hang of them in the end. The wood is (I think - it was a roadside pickup) Pacific or Silver Fir.

And with the lid off. The lid is about the size of a clix or jatz cracker, and the pot itself is only 8cm high.

You can just see a crack in the lid where it almost split in 2 just as I was almost finished sanding - thank goodness for superglue!
The finish is EEE ultrashine with Shellawax Glow on top.

dr4g0nfly
6th November 2012, 07:06 AM
Now the only thing I can see wrong with it (once you've added the coin slot) is a way to lock it and keep the 'little fingers out!

Thanks for posting, I always find it interesting to see where inspiration comes from, the needs of a young family, I like it.

Paul39
6th November 2012, 09:58 AM
Michael,

Nice piece of timber and very nice shape. I would not make the coin slot as it might weaken the lid. Little ones like opening and closing things and it is good practice for them.

chambezio
6th November 2012, 12:05 PM
100% :thewave: What he said :2tsup:

hughie
6th November 2012, 12:11 PM
I like the timber what great colour and grain. :2tsup: Finish looks superb and the decor grooves, all in all a fine piece.

artme
7th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Nice work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

michael_m
7th November 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks all :B.

Zoe has been running around the house carrying and shaking it all day yesterday. I think she said "Sank you" to me about 20 times, so I think she likes it.

Christos
7th November 2012, 05:23 PM
I like this one. Well done.

Jonzjob
9th November 2012, 10:09 PM
That's a lovely little box MM. I'll bet she likes it and now you are going to have to find lots more coins to fill it too :C. If you did decide on a slot for it then it would be easy to put one in one of the rings at the top of the body?

What you need to do now is to make a HUGE one and send it to the Greeks to help them save some cash and get out of the hole they've dug for themselves :D:D:D