PDA

View Full Version : giving the Woodfast a work out

hughie
6th November 2012, 10:27 AM
14" Silky Oak green by about 80mm or so. This is one of the those rare blanks that was actually balanced right from the word go :2tsup: amazing :o I don't get many like this.

Its a bowl for the DIL as per her request.... umm... orders.... :U Its due to be ready for Christmas.

BobR
6th November 2012, 10:54 AM
Watching.

rsser
6th November 2012, 11:03 AM
Some nice colour in that lump Neil.

Ain't unique gifts one of the real plusses with turning.

Wood Nut
6th November 2012, 12:00 PM
I can't wait to see the final result Neil.
I'm sure it will be stunning as usual.
Cheers, Paul

hughie
6th November 2012, 12:07 PM
Ain't unique gifts one of the real plusses with turning.

..and what I love about them Ern is that they come out of nowhere so to speak. :2tsup:

Progress wont be as fast as I like, as the boss will view it this coming Saturday, and no doubt have a suggestion or two. :U

wheelinround
6th November 2012, 12:34 PM
Watching over the fence.

Christos
6th November 2012, 08:26 PM
.... the boss will view it this coming Saturday, and no doubt have a suggestion or two. :U

I was going to make some sort of cleaver remark but I think you done it for me. :D

Willy Nelson
6th November 2012, 08:48 PM
I too am looking forward to see what you produced. But what cracks me up is the dimensions you gave, a mix of imperial and metric in the one sentence, Ha Ha. Sort of like saying 'drive for 45 miles and then another 500 meters, turn left and follow that road for 3 furlongs and a chain'
Willy

14" Silky Oak green by about 80mm or so. This is one of the those rare blanks that was actually balanced right from the word go :2tsup: amazing :o I don't get many like this.

Its a bowl for the DIL as per her request.... umm... orders.... :U Its due to be ready for Christmas.

TTIT
6th November 2012, 10:04 PM
I too am looking forward to see what you produced. But what cracks me up is the dimensions you gave, a mix of imperial and metric in the one sentence, Ha Ha. Sort of like saying 'drive for 45 miles and then another 500 meters, turn left and follow that road for 3 furlongs and a chain'
Willy :roflmao: Children of the sixties! Bought up on both and still use either or a mixture myself :B

Cliff Rogers
6th November 2012, 10:09 PM
Ready for Christmas?

Which Christmas?

My experience is that it will shrink & warp like a bugger.

Some of the stuff I roughed out wet is now too bent to go back on the lathe, I'll have to carve it to finish it.

powderpost
6th November 2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like it has potential Hughie. You are better than me, I would have to add a bit of banding or a segmented ring top, something. :wink:
Jim

dr4g0nfly
7th November 2012, 07:05 AM
Hughie, just remember, the customer (DIL) is always right, maybe not aways correct and sometimes need gentle guidance to understand, but I'm quite sure you will make it a piece to remember and please her no end.

Watching with interest, hoping this will be a WiP.

'drive for 45 miles and then another 500 meters, turn left and follow that road for 3 furlongs and a chain'

My Favourite measurement was always 'Furlongs per fortnight!'

Cliff Rogers
7th November 2012, 08:26 AM
Looks like it has potential Hughie. You are better than me, I would have to add a bit of banding or a segmented ring top, something. :wink:
Jim

Or a thread. :D

Paul39
7th November 2012, 01:19 PM
Hughie,

I like the look of your shed. It looks as though work is accomplished there.

I am suspicious of sheds where every tool is in place and one can eat off the floor.

Mine is somewhere between messy and appalling.:oo::oo::oo:

Sawdust Maker
7th November 2012, 01:48 PM
finished yet?

Hughie,

I like the look of your shed. It looks as though work is accomplished there.

I am suspicious of sheds where every tool is in place and one can eat off the floor.

Mine is somewhere between messy and appalling.:oo::oo::oo:

You can eat off the floor in my shed - the sawdust etc is additional fibre!

artme
7th November 2012, 03:12 PM
Nice blank there Hughie! Waiting to se what you produce.

I am a Silky Oak phan. Love the stuphph.

bench1holio
7th November 2012, 04:43 PM
DIL requested silky oak???....she obviously hasnt seen any of those lacey burl peices you do! :cool: :)

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2012, 12:18 AM

Mine is somewhere between messy and appalling....

Mine is a little below 'messy and appalling' :D

wheelinround
9th November 2012, 08:56 AM
Hughie howd the shed hold up in yesterdays storm?

hughie
9th November 2012, 11:21 AM
howd the shed hold up in yesterdays storm?

Fine, although I just came up the Campbelltown Rd and there's tree down all a long it

wheelinround
10th November 2012, 08:18 AM
Might have to talk to a mate who's on acerage along Camden Valley Way and go halves in a container for storing wood eh Neil. Just a thought.:roll:

Sawdust Maker
10th November 2012, 09:16 AM
Fine, although I just came up the Campbelltown Rd and there's tree down all a long it

better get the chainsaw out :2tsup:

wheelinround
11th November 2012, 08:18 AM
better get the chainsaw out :2tsup:

Camden Valley/ Old Hume Highway would have been fine pickings for weeks widening the road all the way along so trees down the length between Casula and Narrellen

hughie
11th November 2012, 09:22 AM
A lot of it would be fire wood, but there were quite a few burls on the various trees

wheelinround
12th November 2012, 08:04 AM
There's two I am still watching not come down yet as far as I know. Its funny watching the weekend firewood gatherers they must think its Christmas.

Paul39
12th November 2012, 08:16 AM
There's two I am still watching not come down yet as far as I know. Its funny watching the weekend firewood gatherers they must think its Christmas.

It's Christmas anytime there is free firewood. We are now coming into the heating season. Two doors down a church is being gutted for remodeling and stove sized blocking is being thrown into the dumpster. I have rescued a pile the size of a full sized van.

On the way home from church today I saw a pile of door frames and 2 hollow core doors at the side of the road, all kindling along with hinges, knobs and decent deadbolts for the shed.