PDA

View Full Version : Termite Ideas?

John99
3rd April 2005, 10:10 PM
Hi all

Just throwing around some ideas about termites on the next stage of my extension project.
The old part of the house is about 45-50 yrs old built on piers with ant caps to keep out the termites the new extension is also built on piers with ant caps.

What I'm trying to sort out is the front veranda is what I would call suspended concrete.
I'm going to extend out the lounge room into this area.

I will be raising the level of the floor up about 65mm so that it is the same level as the lounge room floor, by using battens with particle board flooring

Just wondering how or what I should do as far as termite protection goes? or what products or methods I could use on the veranda part of the house so that the termites dont have easy access ?

Has anyone has any suggestions or ideas I what I could do?
Thanks John99

ptrott
3rd April 2005, 10:19 PM
John, check out this stuff. http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/termidor.htm
It is THE BEST termite controll on the market. You can buy it (Not restricted) and apply it yourself as long as you are not doing it for monetry gain and you use it as directed.

I have researched it and am going to do my stumped house with it.
Phill.

Mowy
4th April 2005, 02:41 PM
Where could you buy this product in oz? It seems they only deliver to canada and US.

Mowy
4th April 2005, 02:50 PM
Where could you buy this product in oz? It seems they only deliver to canada and US.

glock40sw
4th April 2005, 03:23 PM
G'day.
After having read the MSDS for the product, I'd say it would be a prohibited import unless you are a licensed timber preserver supply comany or a pest eradicator.

It contains fairly Potent shlt.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

P.S. I treat timber.

capedcrusader
4th April 2005, 03:32 PM
Make sure the edge of the slab remains exposed for visual inspections

Ross
4th April 2005, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately in this country you need a pest control licence to use any of the chemicals that kill white ants/termites.

Ross

echnidna
4th April 2005, 07:30 PM
does that include flyspray coz it kills termites

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 07:53 PM
Yes Bob!!!!!!!
Hand it over.
You know its a weapon of mass desruction!!!

Al :eek:

echnidna
4th April 2005, 08:15 PM
It'd wanna be.
with all the crawlies etc that find their way outa the bush here,
Spider bombs kill, to name just a few
Cockroaches
silverfish
flies
beetles.moths
spiders
scorpions
etc

echnidna
4th April 2005, 08:16 PM
dunno if they work on centipedes or leeches
yet

ptrott
4th April 2005, 11:35 PM
John, I have done my homework on this stuff. In W.A. it is OK to use for yourself ONLY. Not for reward or gain. The Health Dept. told me it is not restricted in any other way, except that it is not to be used for any purpose not stated on the label.
It has the same active ingredient (Fipronil) as Frontline flea control for pets. Frontline (Drops) contain 100 grams / litre, (10 percent), many many times stronger than Termidore, which is applied at 0.06 percent.

It is available from most Pest Control suppliers. The one in Western Australia is GARRARDS. 08-94444474, 21 Gordon Rd. Osborne Park. www.garrards.com.au

It is very safe to use as it is not sprayed. It is poured. It is the only stuff that lasts for a very long time in the soil. The same ingredient is used in Pasture spray to control insects. That is an indication of how safe it is. (cattle and sheep EATpasture grass) Product is REGENT 200SC and is once again many many times stronger than Termidor.

If you have any trouble getting it where you are I would be happy to send you some from here. (It aint cheap though)
Regards,
Phill.

John99
5th April 2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas I did find some information at http://www.bestpest.com.au/site/index.php?d=pestcontrol&p=termidor based in sydney and also the APVMA http://www.apvma.gov.au/ has been carrying out further study on the fipronil and its effects

ozwinner
5th April 2005, 07:47 PM
It is very safe to use as it is not sprayed. It is poured. It is the only stuff that lasts for a very long time in the soil. The same ingredient is used in Pasture spray to control insects. That is an indication of how safe it is. (cattle and sheep EATpasture grass) Product is REGENT 200SC and is once again many many times stronger than Termidor.

Isnt this what they said about Thalidamide (sp?) and asbestos to name a few ?????

Al :confused:

ptrott
5th April 2005, 11:33 PM
Well I would not suggest drinking it (like thalidomide) and I also would not suggest praying it into the air in a mine where you are working daily (like asbestos).

Used in accordance with instructions and burried in the ground, something that we pour on our dogs 3-monthly in a dose over a hundred times stronger than this stuff ahhh... how SAFE do you need?
You should be wondering about getting into your car after it has been parked in the sun and is full of cacinogens from the upholsery, trim, steering wheel, dashboard etc. getting heated up and pumping these things into the cab.
:-)
Phill.

maglite
6th April 2005, 12:11 AM
Personally i agree with Phill on this one.

There is an endless list of stuff that we all use in our daily lives that could be considered on par with the chemicals in the product that Phill suggests.

If the smoking, drinking, eating fatty food, drinking chlorinated water, using spray deoderants, inhaling wood dust, exhaust fumes or rock dust, using cca treated timber to name just a few dont end up killing me............then it might just be the Termidor that throws me over the line.

Moo73
8th April 2005, 03:44 PM
built on piers with ant caps to keep out the termites

I thought ant caps were there so that on visual inspection the trails into the building could be seen, rather than to keep the termites out?

Xterminator
27th July 2006, 10:15 AM
You can get Termidor on ebay for about 60 US dollars (search worldwide) and about 20-25 USD for postage.

Garrads refused to sell it to me since I wasnt a professional pest control person, and referred me to the label that says to be used by professional pest controllers only (to that effect). I contacted info pest at the Qld dept health, said the label was binding but referred me to the federal APVMA body who make up the labels.

They said that even if not really in this really toxic catagory the label sticks and is binding, and that its based on both toxicity and the OHS implications of using such chemicals, which is their bases for two manuals that stipulate what the public can use and what they cant.

I backed them into a corner regarding fipronil and frontline flea control, but they wouldnt back down on the label. Well I guess sometimes you have to think global.

Incidentally a pest control treatment costs about $600 in WA, and about 2-3000 in NSW. I have no idea why but it makes the average family guy hurt a little more over here. And then you have to find an honest pest control company using the right products at the right strengths.

Ebay is great!