PDA

View Full Version : NEW Swarts tools 305mm 12" sliding compound mitre saw drop saw

Pages : [1] 2

Xanthorrhoeas
6th November 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm a newbie so please excuse any clumsiness in this post.

Forum members might be interested in the new cheapo tools on the market through eBay - Swarts brand. I recently found myBosch GTM 12 combination mitre and table saw, although a high quality machine, did not have the capacity that I needed to cut tapers on some 90 mm Huon Pine table legs for a table that I am making so I upgraded to a Hare and Forbes SB-12 and decided to sell the GTM-12 (would be nice if the ebay buyer would pay me!). That potentially leaves me without a drop mitre saw so I started looking around. Now, I am a hobbyist so spending a lot of money is not sensible and having purchased a new table saw I thought that I should look for an inexpensive mitre saw. I read about the 909 and read the review by Jordswoodshop but was concerned that the supplied blade is quite coarse. A better blade for fine work adds at least another $100 so the saw cost goes to close to $400.

The Swarts tools 305 mm saw on eBay, however, comes with a 100 tooth blade. I emailed the seller and asked if the saw cut true and if there was any wobble in the blade (a real problem I had with a past Ryobi table saw). He said the blade ran and cut true on his saws. The saw has similar (not quite as good but OK for my use) spec to the 909 saw except that it only offers one sided (left) bevels instead of both sides. It lists at an eBay "buy it now price" of $275 including freight. I decided to be cheeky and made a "best offer" $50 lower. To my surprise that was accepted and the saw arrived very promptly via Couriers Please.

So - what is it like? The basic build quality seems OK but the finishing of unimportant items like decals is poor. Out of the box the set-up was poor to non-existent. The fence was crooked and the stops on the bevel angle were wrong. Don't even think of using this saw without going through a setup routine. BUT, the good news is that the machine is more easily adjustable than many more expensive saws (e.g. the Bosch) and can be set to make accurate cuts. The blade does run true as far as I can tell so far and certainly makes lovely smooth cut surfaces. The laser guide is a bolted-on battery operated one but does seem to be pretty good and at least is in-line with the blade, unlike the Bosch as supplied which needed to be adjusted with a very clunky setup.

Overall, a cheapie but a goodie for a weekend warrior that knows how to check their angles.

Xanthorrhoeas
14th December 2012, 05:45 PM
A bit of an update for you on the saw. It's still going, but overall I think that its a good example of "you get what you pay for" and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I guess I shouldn't be given the price, but I have had some trouble getting it to keep correct cutting angles so a fair bit of fiddling around required. I bought a digital angle finder to help and that has improved things, but my earlier review was a bit too positive I fear.:- Live and learn, at least I still have the Bosch as the eBay buyer defaulted!:(

Swarts Tools
14th December 2012, 08:52 PM
A bit of an update for you on the saw. It's still going, but overall I think that its a good example of "you get what you pay for" and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I guess I shouldn't be given the price, but I have had some trouble getting it to keep correct cutting angles so a fair bit of fiddling around required. I bought a digital angle finder to help and that has improved things, but my earlier review was a bit too positive I fear.:- Live and learn, at least I still have the Bosch as the eBay buyer defaulted!:(

I understand your concerns about the saw, alot of manufacturers would not like this but we welcome it. We are only new in the market and are still working to make our tools perfect. We constantly strive to make our tools better and I am happy to inform the readers that the problem has been solved and our Australian quality control team will work harder to make sure it doesnt ever happen again. We double check all the angles in our Australian quality control and adjust accordingly. As readers would know it is important to be able to adjust the rip fence, as sometimes you need to do that unique cut but now we make everything perfect before it leaves so you dont have to. It was a simple problem with an easy fix. It is only loosening 4 bolts. Please note to all future customers we do have a 30 day money back garuntee if you are not satified and a full 2 year warranty, not that you will need it. We have one of the lowest return rates in the industry.

Thank you
Swarts Tools

spbookie
15th December 2012, 10:43 AM
I have not bought or used a Swarts tool and have no connection to the company in any way. I am however really impressed with this thread.

The original poster Xanthorrhoeas posted a good clear review and then kept it current with his experience. The vendor then clearly accepted his comments and addressed them. Going into detail on how the issue would be fixed ongoing.

What a great example of an effective product review that can only occur on an independent forum like this.

Kudos to both of you.

Spbookie

ubeaut
1st July 2014, 09:49 AM
New information coming.

:U

Swarts Tools
2nd July 2014, 09:49 AM
I'm a newbie so please excuse any clumsiness in this post.

Forum members might be interested in the new cheapo tools on the market through eBay - Swarts brand. I recently found myBosch GTM 12 combination mitre and table saw, although a high quality machine, did not have the capacity that I needed to cut tapers on some 90 mm Huon Pine table legs for a table that I am making so I upgraded to a Hare and Forbes SB-12 and decided to sell the GTM-12 (would be nice if the ebay buyer would pay me!). That potentially leaves me without a drop mitre saw so I started looking around. Now, I am a hobbyist so spending a lot of money is not sensible and having purchased a new table saw I thought that I should look for an inexpensive mitre saw. I read about the 909 and read the review by Jordswoodshop but was concerned that the supplied blade is quite coarse. A better blade for fine work adds at least another $100 so the saw cost goes to close to $400.

The Swarts tools 305 mm saw on eBay, however, comes with a 100 tooth blade. I emailed the seller and asked if the saw cut true and if there was any wobble in the blade (a real problem I had with a past Ryobi table saw). He said the blade ran and cut true on his saws. The saw has similar (not quite as good but OK for my use) spec to the 909 saw except that it only offers one sided (left) bevels instead of both sides. It lists at an eBay "buy it now price" of $275 including freight. I decided to be cheeky and made a "best offer" $50 lower. To my surprise that was accepted and the saw arrived very promptly via Couriers Please.

So - what is it like? The basic build quality seems OK but the finishing of unimportant items like decals is poor. Out of the box the set-up was poor to non-existent. The fence was crooked and the stops on the bevel angle were wrong. Don't even think of using this saw without going through a setup routine. BUT, the good news is that the machine is more easily adjustable than many more expensive saws (e.g. the Bosch) and can be set to make accurate cuts. The blade does run true as far as I can tell so far and certainly makes lovely smooth cut surfaces. The laser guide is a bolted-on battery operated one but does seem to be pretty good and at least is in-line with the blade, unlike the Bosch as supplied which needed to be adjusted with a very clunky setup.

Overall, a cheapie but a goodie for a weekend warrior that knows how to check their angles.

Hi Everybody,

Just a note from us hear as Swarts Tools.

Please not that the saw mentioned in this forum has not been sold in over a year. It is referring to an old model.
We launch our new Belt Driven SW1045 model over a year ago now. Our new machine far surpasses the old in features, quality and accuracy. We have had it on the market just over a year now and are glad to say we have a 0% return rate. We also have a new method of checking the accuracy during our Australian quality control where it is all digital now.

Xanthorrhoeas
2nd July 2014, 04:47 PM
I am really glad to hear that the new model is much better than the one that I bought, as it has been relegated to its carton and sits gathering dust in a storage shed. If you would like to swap me a new model for the old one I'll gladly update my review for you!:D

Handyjack
3rd July 2014, 08:32 PM
I have just looked at the saw on this page Swarts Tools 305mm 12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw Belt Driven Double Bevel Drop Saw (SW1045) - Swarts Tools (http://www.swartstools.com.au/product/20) A user review would be worth while.
At face value, having a horizontal clamp is something I have not seen on any other compound saw. It comes with a 100 tooth blade and will bevel left and right and has a reasonable price to boot.

Diddums
29th March 2015, 08:43 PM
I came across this thread when researching for a SCMS and I was a bit off put by it. Until I spoke to Sam and had a look at his range in person.

So I bought one of the NEW Swarts tools SCMS and I'm very happy with it.
It was well set up out of the box and didn't need any adjusting except for the guard trigger, which was very easy to fix.
All of the issues listed in the Original post have been fixed with the new model.
I'm using it at the moment to build a bookcase out of laminated particleboard and it's great.
The 100t blade makes nice clean cuts and doesn't chip the laminate.
I also bought the mitre saw stand and that is another great product. It's very sturdy and makes using the saw a breeze.

Anyone looking for a good, cheap SCMS, I recommend you take a good look at these.

I am not affiliated with Swarts tools at all, just a happy customer attempting to turn this thread around.

Binary01
31st March 2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the update on the new model Diddums.
I'm tempted to push the button on one of these via Ebay - on back order currently but still accepting orders.
I'd be coming from a Maktec compound mitre saw (non-sliding) and the main gripe with this one is that a small amount of side-ways pressure on the handle during cutting can change the cut angle by several degrees - I've tried to improve the amount of flex in the whole setup but to no avail. It may have been abused by a previous owner. Using the table saw for cross cutting long lengths is cumbersome.
Can you comment on the rigidity and repeatability of the movement with this saw? I happy to do an initial setup.

I'm in two minds about whether I should be saving for a Bosch Blue / Hitachi in the long distant future, or try my luck with another cheaper saw like this one / 909 / or Bosch Green. My current Maktec is almost useless for woodworking.
Edit: Sorry, can you also tell me if the dial for the mitre angles is metal or a paper sticker? I can't quite tell from the photos.

Handyjack
31st March 2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the update on the new model Diddums.

I'd be coming from a Maktec compound mitre saw (non-sliding) and the main gripe with this one is that a small amount of side-ways pressure on the handle during cutting can change the cut angle by several degrees - I've tried to improve the amount of flex in the whole setup but to no avail. It may have been abused by a previous owner.
My current Maktec is almost useless for woodworking.

I also own the Maktec and do not like that the trigger switch can be operated by a single action.
The blade guard does not cover the whole blade so that could also cause a hazard.

Being non sliding it is limited as to what it can cut, but as I move it in and out of the workshop and car weight is a factor as is space in the car.

I have had no problems with it accuracy of cutting, just an understanding of what it might be able to do.

Binary01
31st March 2015, 10:34 PM
I also own the Maktec and do not like that the trigger switch can be operated by a single action.
The blade guard does not cover the whole blade so that could also cause a hazard.

Being non sliding it is limited as to what it can cut, but as I move it in and out of the workshop and car weight is a factor as is space in the car.

I have had no problems with it accuracy of cutting, just an understanding of what it might be able to do.
At the risk of taking this thread off topic, I do suspect my maktec unit is worse than others with free play, and for this reason perhaps even another less expensive saw like the swarts would be improvement enough. Tightening the main bolt on my maktec at the pivot enough to improve the free play makes the drop action too tight.

bassbuddy37
20th April 2015, 06:29 PM
First time poster, long time reader.

Looking into one of these Swarts machines myself and couldn't resist chiming in! This SCMS model is like a UK companies with their 'SIP 01504'

check out their video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQaTTFsrX0w

in response to Binary01's questions regarding the dials for the mitre angles being plastic or not from the video its very likely plastic and the needle pointer is its only adjustable part. Im almost convinced its actually a sticker

At a distance the SIP version 'locking mitre' post and bevel angle display look identical to, if not, very similar to the Bosch PCM 1800 SD. The Swarts version does have a slightly different base so the video probably doesn't help clarify if the mitre angle guide as first thought.

Hope this helps someone else take the plunge to road test one of these! Diddums I would love a little more information how your mitre saw is now going. Can you confirm the plastic mitre angle indicator plate? any dramatic slop or lateral movement in the blade?

Im very curious myself how close to a wall you can put this thing. whats the measurement from the front of the working fence to the back of the guide posts?

tdrumnut
20th April 2015, 09:19 PM
One interesting feature of this saw is the 3 year warranty. :U

Xanthorrhoeas
22nd April 2015, 10:12 PM
One interesting feature of this saw is the 3 year warranty. :U

Aldi have a 3 year warranty too, but in their case if you raise a problem (have just done this) they just send you a new unit. Swarts do not do that.

My Swarts version had a two-year warranty. I thought that impressive at the time, but despite my early positive view of the gear now I find that I am stuck with a dud in a carton in a storage shed. That original unit was a crude machine with significant accuracy problems but Swarts was not prepared to replace it when the model was found to be faulty compared to its replacement version. I haven't been able to bring myself to offer the machine for sale as I would feel guilty if someone were to buy it.

Swarts are keen to rescue their reputation and boast about their new gear but are not prepared to replace their earlier (by their admission) dud. What does that tell you about them? I'll leave it up to you, but I am not impressed and will never deal with them again. OK it was only(!!!) a couple of hundred dollars (still hurt$ when a total waste), but a dud product is a dud product (even if later versions are claimed to be better) and poor support is poor support. A decent company would replace or refund for a dud, not obfuscate, like they have. IMHO there is no excuse for that.

I have some really good gear (Hammer, Minimax etc.) so I know what quality is. But, for less-used gear I usually buy less expensive stuff. I am only a hobbyist after all. I still expect goods to be "fit for purpose" under Australian law. Swarts failed that requirement for me and did not come to the party when I invited them to.

If others wish to purchase Swarts then do so at your own risk and good luck to you. I hope that you have a better experience with Swarts than I have. I would recommend that you spend a bit more and buy better quality gear. In my experience the quality pays off long after the pain of the price is forgotten.

Swarts Tools
27th May 2015, 07:31 PM
Hi everybody,

I would just like to thanks the people who have left us good reviews for the saw.

I would just like to clear up some misconceptions from the post before mine.

1. We never called the saw a dud. You can check that at the start of the thread. We simply upgraded our saw as every brand does. That is not an admission of a bad product it's simply updating them. If brands never updated we would all still be using Stone Age tools.

2. The customers saw was never replaced under warranty because it was never faulty. The problem was in our quality control not the product. The saw was simply sent out without the accuracy being checked. A problem that was dealt with immediately we now spend 10 to 15 minted on each saw making sure they are accurate.

3. I would also like to mention to you that nearly every other brand on the market are not dead accurate straight out of the box. Any experienced wood worker can tell you that. So all you do is spend 20 min actually cutting wood and adjusting the fence. To make it perfect. This is because before they leave the factory we are not aloud to cut things otherwise we would be selling second hand tools.

So to the very upset customer I think you need to calm down a little and stick to the facts. I don't believe personal vendettas and exagerations belong on a reputable forum. Not only does it hurt the forum and its readers it does a massive amount of damage to the brand you are bagging. There is nothing wrong with leaving a bad review as long as it is true and fair.

You say we don't stand by our product but you have no idea what you are talking about. You can ask any other Swarts customer that has had a problem and they will assure you that is not the case.

I urge all people reading this review to not let 1 person change your mind and to seek out other reviews. You are also always welcome to just call me for a chat if you have any concerns. My personal mobile number is 0423313798 please feel free to call me day or night even on the weekends.

Sincerely
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

KBs PensNmore
28th May 2015, 01:17 PM
Not having had anything to do with the product, I like the idea of being able to set the depth of cut, making it a Radial Arm Saw of sorts.
Sam, is it possible to mount dado blades on the saw, say a max of 19 mm, so that trenching can be done in one hit, rather than multiple cuts? Just thinking of the neighbours, regarding noise!:D Just to make a good sounding product, even better.
Kryn

Swarts Tools
28th May 2015, 01:50 PM
Hi Kryn,

Thanks for your question.

Yes with the depth stop it certainly makes trenching alot easier.

No im sorry but you can only use a single blade on the saw. Main reason being it that the blade is housed in a guard, if you put a Dado stack on it it would hit the guard.

As far as I know the are no mitre saw on the market that can use Dado sets.

It is a really cool idea though.

Please let me know if you have any other question. You can also email me directly at [email protected]

Sincerely
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

KBs PensNmore
30th May 2015, 12:45 AM
Thanks Sam. How much work would it be to put a larger guard on it, as you would then have a very unique piece of machinery. I always look at machinery and try to work out how to make more functional/ diverse. Just my sick mind.
Kryn

Swarts Tools
1st June 2015, 03:01 PM
Hi Kryne,

Yes it would be a very unique saw.

Unfotunetly the dies to change large aluminium parts like the guard cost in the tens of thousands. Generally when changing these things to you find is affects other parts of the saw and it opens up whole new problems. Its a great idea though. Im sure who ever has the funds to design it would probably make alot of money.

Its really great to think outside the box though.

xgrain
21st October 2015, 11:19 AM
Anyone offer a review vs its Ozito SCMS-1812 or 909 305db or Triton XT305SCMS(which looks remarkably like the Ozito) counterparts?

Both on the cheaper side of mitre saws for sure, however the next step us around the $800-$1000. If one was comparing these lower end type of units would one come out any better than the other.
For example are spare parts available for the Swarts?

Swarts Tools
22nd October 2015, 02:50 PM
Anyone offer a review vs its Ozito SCMS-1812 or 909 305db or Triton XT305SCMS(which looks remarkably like the Ozito) counterparts?

Both on the cheaper side of mitre saws for sure, however the next step us around the $800-$1000. If one was comparing these lower end type of units would one come out any better than the other.
For example are spare parts available for the Swarts?

Hi xgrain,

Thank you for your interest in our saw. Yes we keep a full range of spare parts in stock in our Sydney warehouse. We also have a 7 year parts guarantee in which if we for some reason discontinue a line we will stock the parts for a minimum of 7 years after or we will refund your original purchase as we know there is nothing worse that buying a new tool then finding out a couple of years later you cant get parts for it. In saying that though we wont be discontinuing this saw any time soon as its a great seller.

As for the review I will leave that up to other forum members to give you but I can assure you through high quality manufacturing, Australian quality control and personal customer service our saw far surpasses the Ozito.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

DaveTTC
22nd October 2015, 05:36 PM
I have looked at this aw closely over the last 2 years at the eood shows. I have not used them but am very familiar with scms's as it is a daily use for me onsite. My current one is a Dewalt 12" and an 18v makita for smaller jobs or no power.

If my dewalt were to pack it in I would strongly consider the current model. This saw is not recommended for trade use but from what i see it looked good. Sorry to hear about the issues the OP had with his saw.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

xgrain
23rd October 2015, 08:27 AM
thx guys I appreciate the comments.

djbarrie
3rd November 2015, 09:37 PM
Hi Sam. I'm considering buying a SW1045. How much clearance is there under the saw? I'd like to cut half way through a 175mm round pine log. Do you think it will fit under the saw?

DaveTTC
3rd November 2015, 10:27 PM
Going off my dewalt I know sometimes i slide the saw forward (towards me) and out a larger piece in behind the blade. Then pull the triger and ease back into the wood. Not sure the largest i have done.

On an old Hitachi i removed the height lock and it would go up 90° but i know Sam would never recommend or endorse that. I think Sam may still be overseas and just got engaged so not sure how soon he may see this and reply.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

djbarrie
4th November 2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks Dave, I think I'll go ahead and get one.

Becephalus
12th January 2016, 01:02 PM
Based upon user reviews and Samuel's comments regarding extended availability (7 years) of spare parts for discontinued models, I placed my order for an SW1045. The following morning, I was offered the associated stand for less than the advertised price. As I have a CMS station, I had no need to take up the offer. Okay, it was an effort to generate more business, but which vendor doesn't wish that? Plus, the reduced price was a nice touch!
Why does OP believe he was sold a dud? Is not almost every machine subject to development and refinement; e.g. Toyota Camry, iPhones (now iPhone6 - SIX). Simply because an updated model is better engineered or more refined than the original does not indicate the original was a dud. However, OP is entitled to his opinion.
My son-in-law, a cabinet-maker, will check my saw's setup. After a few days bulk cutting for picture frames and small projects (pen & business card holders, desk clock frames, etc), I hope to give the thumbs-up to this unit - stay tuned!

DaveTTC
12th January 2016, 01:04 PM
Will you use a sacrificial fence for the small stuff?

Let us know how you go. I'm keen to see the current model as Sam was talking about some further changes last I saw him.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Becephalus
12th January 2016, 01:25 PM
That's my intention Dave so hopefully the fitted fence can be removed. If not, my son-in-law will have a workable solution.

Xanthorrhoeas
12th January 2016, 04:05 PM
Why does OP believe he was sold a dud? Is not almost every machine subject to development and refinement; e.g. Toyota Camry, iPhones (now iPhone6 - SIX). Simply because an updated model is better engineered or more refined than the original does not indicate the original was a dud. However, OP is entitled to his opinion.

How kind of you to so graciously allow OP his opinion! Perhaps if you read the full original post you would see why the original machine is a dud. Your logic is flawed, the fact the original is a dud has nothing to do with anything that came after it? My opinion is confined to the machine that I purchased and that you have never seen, nor used. That original machine is so not-useful it sits in a dusty box in a storage yard. I have not tried to sell it as I would not be so unkind.
I have no opinion on the latest machine, nor on the supplier as a whole, so have offered no further comments but, since you stick your oar in I will do so now: perhaps novices could keep their opinions to themselves about machines they have no experience of!

Becephalus
13th January 2016, 12:35 AM
Sir
"How kind of you to so graciously allow OP his opinion" then "since you stick your oar in I will do so now: perhaps novices could keep their opinions to themselves ..."! When posted on a public forum for all and sundry to read, your remarks are rude and should have been directed to me via PM! We are BOTH entitled to our opinions and MOST IMPORTANTLY the freedom to express them.

As this is my first and final communication with you, the last word is yours - make it good! :brava

Swarts Tools
30th January 2016, 12:17 AM
Hi djbarrie,

Im very sorry I did not see your post come up, usually I get an email saying that the forum has been updated but nothing came through.

How did you go with the log?

Swarts Tools
30th January 2016, 12:29 AM
Hi Dave,

I hope you are well and are coping with all that has happened last year you have been in mine and Meliss's thoughts.

Thank you for answering the questions on the forums.

Yes I have just made a change that you suggested in the mitre saw arrow and lowered it so it only sits a mm or so off the bed but we couldn't do the holes in the fence. We have also designed a more dust proof laser housing.

In saying that we are gearing up to launch our newest model 255mm mitre saw in a few weeks which as you suggested has holes in the fence so you can fix a sacrificial. fence. I really appreciate the suggestions you made on the saw, it makes a huge difference. Let me know if you would like to be one of the product testers as your opinion is always very valuable.

I have a couple of new product that will be launching in march that im sure you will be interested in seeing that are right up your ally.

Thanks
Sam

DaveTTC
30th January 2016, 12:36 AM
Be more than happy to test it for you

Thankyou for your thoughts

Good to see Swarts continues to move forward.

Gave the multitool a workout on a recent job. It worked a treat. The other guy had a bosch. I had to fix his mistakes. Not sure if it was the tool or the user. Think it may have been the user but Swarts came to the rescue. Therea a floor thread in here that mentions it.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

digamma
31st January 2016, 09:03 PM
Does anyone else notice the handle gets quite warm after the saw has been on for a while? I have to remember to turn it off at the end of the day or the handle is hot the next day. All that is in the handle is the switch for the laser.

DaveTTC
31st January 2016, 10:49 PM
i have heard of something like this but it was another brand. Cant say for certainty but think it was a ryobi and yes something to do with the laser

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Lee1952
15th May 2016, 03:45 PM
Hi Dave,

I hope you are well and are coping with all that has happened last year you have been in mine and Meliss's thoughts.

Thank you for answering the questions on the forums.

Yes I have just made a change that you suggested in the mitre saw arrow and lowered it so it only sits a mm or so off the bed but we couldn't do the holes in the fence. We have also designed a more dust proof laser housing.

In saying that we are gearing up to launch our newest model 255mm mitre saw in a few weeks which as you suggested has holes in the fence so you can fix a sacrificial. fence. I really appreciate the suggestions you made on the saw, it makes a huge difference. Let me know if you would like to be one of the product testers as your opinion is always very valuable.

I have a couple of new product that will be launching in march that im sure you will be interested in seeing that are right up your ally.

Thanks
Sam

Just wondering when you will be releasing the new saw

regards Lee

dentree
2nd September 2016, 10:04 PM
I bought one of these 12" compound mitre saws from Swarts, my main concern at the time of making the decision to buy from these guys, was the fact that they are certainly NOT in my local shopping centre, but I took the punt everything would be OK, well the saw arrived in double quick time, after about a week after unpacking I noticed the calibrated decal on the pivot was peeling, I sent Samuel Jones the manager an email, I received a reply within the hour, notwithstanding the message I sent was at about 8 pm, the next morning another message saying new Decals in the post! 3 days later they were in my hand! This guy is amazing and extremely diligent, so full marks for that one.

THE SAW

It was "almost" good to go out of the box, nothing major just a few minor tweaks, having done those, the saw was sitting idle for 2 months at which time I had it outside in daylight and noticed a "tiny" hairline crack in the casting at the rear of the baseplate, so once again I contacted Samuel, sent a photo for him to assess, the very next morning a new baseplate was in the hands of a courier, 3 days and it was here, have since fitted the plate and dine an alignment and all is good, have spent the last week using it quite extensively, for what these saws cost I personally think it is a complete "Steal" it is accurate, effortless to use, quite user friendly, give excellent clean cuts in both hard and softwoods, all the functions on this saw are working perfectly with NO slop/PLAY in any of it's modes, the only "gray" area if any on this saw is that unlike my previous saw the casting is somewhat thin, however I do not think that under "normal" use this saw will ever fault, I am sure it is quite strong in it's construction, however if you chuck it out of an upstairs window into your ute below, then possibly you may encounter some issues !, otherwise, buy with confidence, if for no other reason Mr Samuel Jones is a great guy to deal with, and I am well pleased with the end result.

Mr Brush
3rd September 2016, 02:31 PM
You must have bought one in the brief instant that they were actually available. Every time I look at their webpage it says "Out of stock" for this saw.

What's the go Mr Swarts?

Kuffy
3rd September 2016, 03:44 PM
noticed a "tiny" hairline crack in the casting at the rear of the baseplate, so once again I contacted Samuel, sent a photo for him to assess

Hi, could you please upload a photo of the hairline crack in the baseplate. Thanks

foodpre
5th September 2016, 05:22 PM
do you have any pics of hairline crack?

dentree
6th September 2016, 10:37 AM

OldGrain
6th September 2016, 04:48 PM
Howdo all.Well I bought one of these Swarts 12" blade units a couple days before moving to Tassie. Been using it to cut wall frames & seasoned 80 y o blackwood floor boards. 2000W motor & double bevel made doing these jobs easy compared to using my `04 Triton circular saw which I love using also. gordo

desbromilow
10th September 2016, 05:23 PM
I came in based on a search for Swarts reviews. I've jsut ordered 100 cut off wheels and will report back on how those fair compared to the flexovits and smith and arrows I've been using (mostly flexovits)

Alby123
20th September 2016, 09:37 PM
This has been an interesting thread which I have been following for some time. Today I took the plunge and bought one off ebay, due to the fact that they are out of stock and waiting for the next shipment to arrive they still allow you to place an order with the bonus of paying $379.00 and free shipping within Australia.
Swarts Tools have advised me that it will be shipped to me around the 10 October 2016; so once I have the machine I will put it through it paces and follow up with a review.
Cheers until the review.

gabstarrr
5th October 2016, 06:02 PM
G'Day All,
Well, I ordered a SCMS yesterday fromSwarts in Sydney and received it today in Victoria, great turnaround. I unpacked it and set it up and it was square to .1 of a degree right out of the box, I am a bit of a pain in the bum about 'square' so I'll just bring into exact 90.0 degrees when the need arises, the fence was 90.0 to the top, unbelievable, I have had a few of these saws and I haven't seen this kind of accuracy out of the box. Hooked it up to my shop vac and it removed a fair bit of the dust. My shop vac is a home made cyclonic unit attached to a rather weak karcher shop vac. All in all a great unit, the test cut pieces were as smooth as, requiring very little if any sanding depending on the job. So far it looks like great value for money. Will add some more comments down the track as an update. Hope their other tools are just as good, looking to buy their linisher/disc sander unit.

desbromilow
5th October 2016, 06:11 PM
UPDATE - REVIEWThe 100 125 x 1mm cutoff wheels arrived last week - minimalist packaging, and everything OK.The wheels are comparable to the flexovit ultracuts I was using on the job just before - in fact I took one cut on some 1" heavy wall galv pipe with the flexovit, then changed the wheel/disc for one of the swarts discs and made all the remaining cuts using that...the wear rate, and cutting effort seemed pretty similar.I did get a pinch and blow one wheel apart - NOT swarts fault, and noticed the internal construction (weave of the mesh, etc) was similar to some of the other wheels I've broken over the years.so, based on my anecdotal (unscientific) testing, I'd say the swarts 125mm x 1 cutoff wheels are comparable to flexovits, and priced quite well. I will be buying more of them in the future.Des
I came in based on a search for Swarts reviews. I've jsut ordered 100 cut off wheels and will report back on how those fair compared to the flexovits and smith and arrows I've been using (mostly flexovits)

Swarts Tools
6th October 2016, 10:50 AM
Hi Mr Brush,

Im sorry for the late reply, I didn't see the message come through the forum.

Yes we have had a few back orders lately on the saws, the demand for the saw is rising I believe a lot to do with the great reviews the people have been so kind to write on this page. We are catching up with the demand but a couple of set back in the manufacturing process and then extended lead times got in the way a bit.

We do have them in stock now though and they are available for immediate delivery.

If we are ever out of stock though some of our stockists may still have them like Timbecon in Melbourne and Perth.

Sincerely
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

Swarts Tools
6th October 2016, 11:00 AM
Hi Gabstar,

Thank you very much for your review, I`m really glad you are happy with it.

Yes as you noticed it was pretty accurate out of the box, that something that we pride ourselves on. Many people don't realise as very few companies do it anymore but every single tool whether it be a $5 Multi-tool Blade or a $399 12" Mitre saw is pulled out of the box and given a full quality control here in our Sydney warehouse. We spend about 15 minutes on every single Mitre Saw setting the accuracy and checking the quality before it goes out for delivery to the customer. This is the only way we ensure that we have one of the lowest failure rates in the industry (currently at about 0.01%) as well as supporting the Australian economy by creating jobs.

Thank you
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

Swarts Tools
6th October 2016, 11:09 AM
Hi Desbromilow,

Thank you for your review, I'm really glad to see you are happy with them.

We put a tremendous amount of work into the testing of our abrasive discs and its great to see it paying off, we pride ourselves by not on being one of the highest quality discs on the market but also one of the cheapest.

Be sure to keep an eye on our Metal Fabrication range as its growing rapidly by order of popular demand. Just in the last 3 months We have released #40, #60, #80 & #120 Grit Cubic Zirconia Flap Discs, 4.5" and 9" Ultra Thin Angle Grinder cutting Discs and 4" & 5" 6mm Thick Angle Grinder Grinding Discs.

Thank you
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

Swarts Tools
6th October 2016, 11:17 AM
Does anyone else notice the handle gets quite warm after the saw has been on for a while? I have to remember to turn it off at the end of the day or the handle is hot the next day. All that is in the handle is the switch for the laser.

Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I didn't see your post.

That's perfectly normal, there is a transformer in the handle of the saw the turns the 240V electricity to 12V to power the laser. It will stay warm as long as the saw is plugged in even if the laser is off as the transformer is wried in before the laser switch. There are similar transformers in most saws with built-in lasers they are just in different spots. The heat will never do any damage. It great that you checked though.

Thank you
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

DaveVman
18th November 2016, 06:13 PM
I want a SCMS for workshop weekend use only. I want it to be easy to get v. accurate cuts.

I have been saving up for one of these 2000W 305mm saws from Swarts. (Was thinking about buying their sander at the same time). However now Bunnings has a Bosch (green) 1800W 254mm sliding compound mitre saw with a laser, metric gauges, clamp, extensions and other features I was looking for. It is $373.

From my point of view they both seem to do everything I want.
The price is basically the same. $389 for the Swart, $373 for the Bosch.

I was impressed with the customer service and reported accuracy of the Swarts SCMS on this thread.
I haven't tried this Bosch but I have owned plenty of other Bosch (green) tools over the years and have always been happy with them.

Pros and Cons:

The Swart has a 305mm blade, the Bosch is 254mm.
This translates to a 102mm cut depth for the Swart vs a 80mm cut for the Bosch. (According to specs).

I trust Bosch and I have always had a good experience if I ever returned anything to Bunnings - even many months after purchase without a receipt (which if course costs me nothing to do).
Returning something to Swart is obviously going to be expensive, with no guarantee they will accept it as a warranty claim.

I wanted the 305mm blade but the ease and confidence of being able to address any warranty issue puts the Bosch in the lead for me.
So now I'm trying to decide how important that extra depth of cut really is......

Anyone tried out a Bosch PCM 1800 SD for accuracy?

Please let me know if Swarts lowers their price on this saw because that would obviously change my calculations.

Swarts Tools
19th November 2016, 02:05 AM
I want a SCMS for workshop weekend use only. I want it to be easy to get v. accurate cuts.

I have been saving up for one of these 2000W 305mm saws from Swarts. (Was thinking about buying their sander at the same time). However now Bunnings has a Bosch (green) 1800W 254mm sliding compound mitre saw with a laser, metric gauges, clamp, extensions and other features I was looking for. It is $373.

From my point of view they both seem to do everything I want.
The price is basically the same. $389 for the Swart, $373 for the Bosch.

I was impressed with the customer service and reported accuracy of the Swarts SCMS on this thread.
I haven't tried this Bosch but I have owned plenty of other Bosch (green) tools over the years and have always been happy with them.

Pros and Cons:

The Swart has a 305mm blade, the Bosch is 254mm.
This translates to a 102mm cut depth for the Swart vs a 80mm cut for the Bosch. (According to specs).

I trust Bosch and I have always had a good experience if I ever returned anything to Bunnings - even many months after purchase without a receipt (which if course costs me nothing to do).
Returning something to Swart is obviously going to be expensive, with no guarantee they will accept it as a warranty claim.

I wanted the 305mm blade but the ease and confidence of being able to address any warranty issue puts the Bosch in the lead for me.
So now I'm trying to decide how important that extra depth of cut really is......

Anyone tried out a Bosch PCM 1800 SD for accuracy?

Please let me know if Swarts lowers their price on this saw because that would obviously change my calculations.

Hi Dave,

This is Sam Jones- I am the owner and General Manager of Swarts Tools. I saw your post come through so I just wanted to see if I could answer a few of your questions straight from the horses mouth.

They are both great saws. I am very familiar with the Bosch saw, as they are made by the same factory and I work with the same design team that Bosch used.

You had a concern about the warranty process which is always important. I want you to know we never ever leave our customers out of pocket- I think it is absolutely horrible that some companies make their customers pay for a fault caused by the factory. The only time you would ever have to pay return costs is if after you returned it we found either it was not faulty or you misused the saw.

If you were to have a warranty you can either ring me up or email me and I will immediately arrange a Toll Ipec pickup to collect the saw from you, at our expense. We then generally repair or replace the warranty within 24 hours of receiving it and then send it right back. In saying that, warranties are not very common because of our strict Australian quality control. I haven't had a single saw come back under warranty in the last three years.

We are also very flexible with our warranty process and approach each case individually. We focus on you, the customer, to suit your requirements because one size does not ever fit all.

We also have a longer warranty than Bosch as theirs is 24 months compared to our 36 month.

I thought I would also point out a few key features that our saw has that the Bosch saw does not.

1. Double Bevel: The Swarts saw you can bevel to the left or the right making repeatable cuts easily without needing to always flip or spin your timber.

2. 100 Tooth Blade: Our saw has a ultra fine cutting 100 tooth TCT saw blade that gives a brilliant finish.

3. Front Mount Vice: The saw has a unique front mount quick set horizontal vice like a metal saw so you can very quickly secure your job.

4. Internal Sliding Mechanism: As you would have seen in the pictures, our rail slides are quite unique. They are fixed and the swing arm moves along them meaning that you can put the saw on a bench right up against a wall and not have the rails coming out the back hitting the wall. The rails stay in one place and only the swing arm moves.

5.Cutting Capacity: As you mentioned, we have a larger cutting depth however we also have a much longer stroke at a massive 340mm which I think is very important.

There are plenty more great features like these but I will not ramble on. They are all listed on our website though.

I hope that my post will help you make your decision and please feel free if you have any further questions to email me on [email protected] or write back on the forum.

P.S If you email me and are interested in both the sander and the saw I can put together a great package deal for you to lower that price a bit.

Thank you
Samuel Jones
General Manager
Swarts Tools

DaveTTC
19th November 2016, 09:55 AM
Point 4 is a big win for me.

I do not have the swarts SCMS for fact that I already have the DeWalt 12" with a max depth of about 120mm.

Having zero clearance on a wall is a big big win especially if you have limited space. I had considered the bosch glider (high end and expensive) but it is too heavy as an everyday user to take in and out of the vehicle.

One day when my DeWalt has had the gong I will revisit the swarts. I have other tools from them and as yet have no found one Inwould not personally recommend.

Point 1 led to me returning a saw I was allowed to test prior to purchase. It only laid over in one dirrection

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

woodPixel
19th November 2016, 11:02 AM
I think it's AWESOME that a manufacturer and importer is on the forum supporting the products they sell.

Its a neck to strangle if there's a problem, but it shows confidence. There wouldn't be a person here who doesn't want to support a local player.

I've been considering an SCMS for some time. I've hesitated as its a nice-to-have, but after rereading everything here, looking at the ebay offer and thinking about how trivial $379 is in the big picture, I'll be buying one.

Thanks to DaveTTC too. If any bloke knows the daily use of an SCMS its him. Big vote there.

DaveVman
5th December 2016, 06:40 PM
Looking into this more closely.... The Swarts SCMS comes with a 100 tooth blade. The Bosch comes with 40 tooth blade. I hadn't noticed that when I first compared them.
The stroke at 340mm vs 335mm is the same on both but they are not the same saw of course. The Swarts is 305mm and the Bosch is 254mm. Which translates into 105mm depth for Swarts SW1045 vs 80mm for the PCM 1800 SD. I keep thinking that cut depth will eventually be important to me.

Binary01
9th January 2017, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but the Swarts SCMS is available for 20% on Ebay for a short period ($320 delivered until Jan 15) using code CSITE20. I don't have a need for one (already have a SCMS) but it sounds like a bargain to me so thought it worth posting in case anyone was considering a purchase.

DaveVman
9th January 2017, 03:48 PM
I just bought mine in time for Xmas. I am happy with it. I will write up a review with some pics later.
In the meantime I can recommend this SCMS. Definately value for $320.

DaveVman
11th January 2017, 04:29 PM
As promised here is my review of the 305mm SWARTS Tools SCMS. I have no conflict of interests or advantage/disadvantages with discussing any tool manufacturer/supplier.
In a perfect world I would have bought a top of the line 305mm Bosch Blue Glide Saw with double laser. These have come down in price and are now $1029. However both the 305mm Swarts SCMS and the Bosch 235mm PCM 1800 SD are about one third of that price and actually in my budget range. There may also be other similar ones but I liked the features of these two. You can read my earlier post about comparing these 2 saws.

In the end I did not want to do without the 100+mm cutting depth of the 305mm saw. However what sealed the deal for me was when Samuel at Swarts pointed out something I had initially overlooked. The Swarts tools machine comes fitted with a 100 tooth blade. The Bosch PCM 1800 SD comes with a 40 tooth blade that I would want to swap out. This in effect makes the Swarts tools machine actually cheaper yet it is 305mm saw versus the 235mm Bosch. I also got a small discount by ordering the saw with another tool. I’ll write a review of the shop vac separately.

The Swarts SCMS has fixed rails that the saw slides on. Other saws in this price range have the rails moving. When mounted in a workshop, this gives the Swarts machine an advantage because you’re never in doubt about how much space is required behind the machine.

I finally ordered my tools the week before Christmas. The process is easy, efficient and there are different payment options. Samuel was very helpful. He was out of stock and his new stock was held up in Customs. He explained this to me immediately. He didn’t take my money until he was sure that he could supply the items promptly. In the end Customs released the container earlier than expected and I got my new machines in time for Christmas.

The courier Swarts uses is fantastic. The guy not only waited for us to answer the door but he had a quiet word with my wife before I could come to the door. He said he didn’t want to come rolling down the drive with the boxes in case it was a surprise Christmas present.

The saw is very well packed. In fact I wish I had the space to keep the box and packing in case we move house. In my case the slider on the saw was not locked. This meant when I first lifted the saw up, the entire thing slid back and put a lot of strain on my bad back as I lifted it out of the box. It is possible that in the rush to get this to me in time for Christmas somethings were overlooked.

The instructions and setup adjustments are clearly documented. Some people have reported the saw being accurate right out of the box. Mine was accurate on one axis but not the other. I needed to adjust the vertical alignment. Unfortunately, that particular adjustment requires a very long 4mm Allen key down 2 long slots to some hex keys that you can not see. The Allen key supplied with the saw is not long enough. Fortunately I have a tool that does this but others might not be so lucky. The adjustment screws are down the holes at the back of the machine as indicated on the pic.

Everything else seemed to be in alignment so I didn’t need to make any other adjustments and went ahead and made some test cuts. They were all fine so far.

When I was deciding which saw to buy, Samuel from Swarts listed their extra clamp as an advantage. I took little notice of this at the time. However right from the first moment I used the saw I realised the advantage of this unique clamp. The SCMS comes with a vertical clamp like other similar saws. It also comes with a horizontal clamp as shown on the left in the picture above. This is a quick release clamp and so it is very fast and easy to clamp your work piece this way. It also ensures the work is hard against the fence. I hadn’t noticed my scrap wood in the photo was not square until I put it in this clamp. Both clamps can be mounted on either side.

The laser is on a separate switch than the blade so you can take your time setting up your cut. You have to remember to turn the laser off but this is not an issue for me, since all tools get turned off at the end of the day. The laser can not be adjusted. This is my only disappointment with this saw. I would have liked to micro adjust the laser to allow for the thickness of the blade. Not being able to do this diminishes the purpose of the laser in my view.
The saw comes with a dust bag, which is about as useful and any of these kinds of things. Which is to say, it is more of less a waste of time just like on all the other similar tools. Here it is after some test cuts and inside it is basically empty.
However there is some good news. The bag can be pulled inside out. It is only held on with a replaceable zip tie.

This zip tie can be cut and you are left with a perfect fitting that includes a wire support for a 50mm flex.

I bought a large 50mm flex with my cyclone and it fits perfectly onto this fitting with a band clamp. I can then plug or unplug this assembly from the SCMS. The wire sits inside the hose and stops it drooping immediately when it leaves the saw.
Of course, like all SCMS most of the dust is kicked out by the blade and not caught by this dust port but that is another topic entirely.

I have been able to run my shop vac, radio, fan and this saw at the same time on a single 10A circuit without any problems. I’m not sure that would be the case if I was cutting 100mm hardwood but so far so good. I have picked it up and moved it around a few times but in my case this is not normally necessary. It weighs 21kg. You can buy a stand for it from Swarts if you work on site but I bought it to live in my workshop.

The pictures you see here are me testing it on my assembly table. It lived there for a couple of weeks. I have now set it up on it’s own table that is on large casters so I can easily move it around the shed or even outside. The front casters are lockable. (I like to work outside in the car port but it is not flat). At some stage I might build a special cabinet for it.

The cuts are accurate and smooth. I have been using it as a drop saw and cross cut saw on pine, MDF and plastic. The 340mm width capacity has been helpful already. I’m very pleased with the saw thus far. I have various mitres and bevels to do soon so it will get a real test over the next 3 months or so.

As mentioned, Samuel from Swarts Tools is a pleasure to deal with and I wish all our deliveries came from the courier they use.

I am no expert on SCMS but this is definitely better than the cheaper ones my family and friends have. At the time I did my research it was the best value for money in my opinion. I’d recommend it to you.
So I hope this review is useful. I’ll try to remember to come back and give you an update once I have done those projects where I need various mitres and bevels.

skot
22nd January 2017, 10:05 AM
I only found this thread yesterday due to my Electra Beckum SCMC having a problem. Blade would stall and stop spinning when applied to the timber and the blade seemed to have a very minor delay time from turning it on until the blade started spinning...only very small delay but perceptible. After the usual checking that the blade was seated properly & Arbor nut was tight, I proceeded to take it apart.

I discovered that with the blade off , I could apply pressure to the spindle with a piece of timber while it was spinning and I could stop it spinning with a minimum of pressure while the motor happily kept going.

Removed the motor and checked out the spiral thread gear on the motor and that look ok. I can only surmise that the gear/cog inside the spindle assemble is stuffed.

So either I look for parts to fix it or purchase a new SCMS...the EB went under in the 2011 flood through my shed but I resurrected it and has been a great little saw....which brings me to here.....I checked out the Makita LS1016 at Trade Tools and that looked a fine machine but price wise it is in the upper level. It has a 250mm blade. I will have a look at the Swart website and see if their SCMS checks out OK for my needs.

It would be a big jump up in blade size from the EB, it's blade is only 210mm

DaveVman
22nd January 2017, 12:01 PM
The larger Saw blade obviously has a deeper cut capacity. It might well have a larger cross cut capacity than yours. From memory the 305mm SWARTS has 340mm and the 235mm Bosch has 335mm but I think most 235mm saws have less capacity.

I have come to suspect that a decent 305mm saw also produces a finer cut on these wider bits of wood. Perhaps someone with more experience than me can comment on that.

Whatever you go for use an 80 or 100 tooth blade unless you are just cutting framework. The difference in cut quality is dramatic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

skot
22nd January 2017, 01:43 PM
My current EB only has 255mm cross cut capacity

DaveVman
29th January 2017, 07:02 PM
I got a PM about some of the dimensions of the SWARTS 305mm saw. The site kept crashing when I tried to reply so I'll put some pictures up here for those interested in dimensions.

skot
2nd February 2017, 05:58 PM
OK ....decided to give them a go.

Ordered 1 today so will let you know when it arrives then I'll give it a run and post my opinions.

gabstarrr
2nd February 2017, 07:54 PM
OK ....decided to give them a go.

Ordered 1 today so will let you know when it arrives then I'll give it a run and post my opinions.
You won't be disappointed. Cuts like a dream. Hardly any sanding required.

skot
3rd February 2017, 03:03 PM
Step 1....Great service

Ordered the saw yesterday and has just arrived 1 day later.

Off to a good start

skot
4th February 2017, 02:48 PM
OK....First initial opinion

Out of the Box - Initial Checks

1) Blade is square to fence...maybe minor adjustment required.

2) Bevel adjustment

The Blade is a couple of degrees off 0° when in locked 0° stop position, so I have to adjust.
Minor annoyance with this adjustment is that the allen screws that need to be loosened to allow the adjustment are located inside the rear housing and only accessible through 2 holes in the casting and are approx 45mm down the hole. The supplied 4mm allen key is only 50mm long so 1st you have to prod & poke around in the hole to engage the shank of the key. When engaged the angled section of the key is only JUST outside the back of the saw. This does not allow too much leverage to hold the key in place and loosen the screws, I will have to source a longer 4mm allen key with possibly a T handle on the end (similar to lathe chuck keys) for easier adjustment.
I believe I will only have to do this once so not a HUGE problem.

3)Laser.....

Laser works but there is a VOID area that the laser does not reach that is the laser does not project down to 0,0 which is where the table meets the fence which is not required because otherwise you would be cutting a human hair BUT the void area is a triangular section approx 65mm x 65mm. I have attached a file to roughly illustrate the geometry. I will check more about this this afternoon but at the moment it appears that the laser will not strike the face of the timber under my "65" rule (lets call it "65" rule for the moment). This means you add the width of the 2 sides of the piece of timber that you wish to cut....eg a 35x75 wall stud = 110.....19x12 molding = 31 etc. IF the resultant answer is under 65, then the laser will miss the timber and not show any line. If the answer is JUST over 65, the laser will clip the top edge but not show all the way across. Obviously if the timber is 65mm high you will get a full laser line across the face.
Remedy for future model upgrades would be to lengthen, in a downwards direction, the hole in the casting which the laser projects through BUT this would require a changed mold in the factory and may not be viable unless a new mold is required for future upgrades of the saw.

4) Cut
Did a few test cuts and very impressed. The 100 tooth blade produces a magnificent finish on the cut. The cut surface looked like it had been finely sanded or polished....my previous SCMS could not produce such a lovely finish.

Well that's my initial opinions....now it's back to the shed to do the bevel adjustment and see if anything else pops up.

Cheers

Scott

skot
4th February 2017, 07:28 PM
2nd Instalment.......

I have now had a better play with my new saw and want to add/clarify some of the items from my earlier post

1) Blade square to Fence in 0° locked cross cut position ?....as mentioned this was not the case out of the box but it only needed a minor adjustment.

The misalignment may not have been noticable on smaller pieces of timber but this machine can cut a width of 340mm. Over that distance any misalignment will show up by the end of the cut.

NOTE: To Sam (Swart Tools)..the booklet that comes with the machine covers adjustment for blade to the table BUT NOT blade to the fence. As much as quality control may insist that the saw & fence are square in the 0° position...where ever a component is fixed by bolts/screws, there is the possibility of misalignment.

Although the book didn't cover the realignment, I was able to work it out quickly. The fence is fixed to the table by 4 x 6mm bolts with allen heads (2 each end of the fence...see pic below) access from the top of the fence.Those black holes that you can see inside the slot.

a) Engage the fence into the locked position at 0°
b) Slightly loosen the 4 bolts
c) Using a square against the fence, rotate the fence until the other face of the square is parallel or flat against the blade's face
d) Carefully tighten the bolts and check that the blade is still square to the fence
e) Re Zero pointer on the protractor on front of machine.

2) Bevel Adjustment

The adjustment worked perfectly as per the Instruction Book's directions but as mentioned the allen key provided is not the easiest tool to use due to the location of the adjustment screws and the size of the key. I took a quick trip to my local Autobarn Auto shop and purchased this set of 8 metric hex spanners for $25....worth every cent....the 4mm spanner was easy to manoeuvre into position and the bolts were easy to loosen. I just add this to my growing collection of tools and they can be used for other jobs (the 6mm one was used for the adjustment above)

3) Laser

Now that the blade is adjusted to the table & fence, it was time to check the laser . It is spot on....I scribed pencil lines onto some test timber using both my 90° square & 45° mitre square and tested against the laser.

Laser line was spot on and the left hand side of the blade came right on top and along the laser line....Very happy bunny

405614 405615 405619 405620 405616 405618

4) Cuts

As mentioned previously , the finished cut is very nice.

NOTE:

a) This is not a soft start machine.....with a 2000w motor spinning a 305mm dia blade it gives a little kick on startup. Pull the trigger let it find it's resonance & balance for a millisecond then move into the cut.

b) As mentioned by a previous poster on the forum....the handle does have a tendency to heat up due to the laser transformer located inside the handle. It is not so hot that you can not touch it but you will notice it's warmth. Only time will tell over the years whether this heat will affect the plastic handle.

Conclusion:

Although I have only worked with this saw for 1 day and it's long term endurance is yet to be tested, I believe for the money (mine was $379 delivered to my door) it is a very good saw with capabilities to match the $800 - $1000 range saws.
It's finish may not be as "polished" as the high ends and some of the castings may not look like the quality of Festool or Makita high end product but for the outlay it may just be worth the punt.

This is purely my impression after the first day , some adjustments were needed and the laser's void area could have been fixed by a 3mm slot at the bottom the the laser window so that it catered for smaller timber pieces but all and all I think I can live with it.

PS. The attached pic at the bottom ↓ of this post is after the cut was performed...the laser line appears along the cut line.

Cheers

Scott

DaveTTC
4th February 2017, 10:03 PM
As you lower the blade does the laser swing in towards the fence?

DaveTTC

Turning Wood into Art

skot
4th February 2017, 10:08 PM
Dave,

If I remember correctly...No

The laser is attached to the stationary body of the machine so as the blade lowers it starts to block the laser line. I will have to check that again tomorrow but I think that is what happened.

Pic 1 is looking from front of machine ...you can see the laser at the back and the rectangular hole in the body for the beam to pass through

Pic 2 is looking down from above the laser ...just near those glide rails.

Laser & the hole for the beam do not alter position

DaveTTC
4th February 2017, 10:10 PM
I should also have asked as you slide the saw along the rails how does this efffwct the laser. Personally I dont know that I would ever use a laser for cutting but you raise some valid points for those who do or would

DaveTTC

Turning Wood into Art

skot
4th February 2017, 10:17 PM
My previous SCMS was an Electra Beckum and I never had a laser on that machine and that was in use for over 15 years.

It may be a bit gimmicky but I can see that instead of constantly lowering and raising the blade to check the blades location against a pencil line....the laser tells you straight away where the edge of the blade will hit the line on the timber.

The blade may not block out the laser but the line stays in the same position.

As I mentioned earlier, this laser lines up with the LH face of the blade so you can still see the laser line while the blade cuts along it.

skot
4th February 2017, 10:21 PM
If I have time tomorrow , I will make a short video of a cut in action with the laser line so it makes it clearer.

I should be able to post it tomorrow arvo some time.

skot
5th February 2017, 12:44 PM
3rd Instalment

I hope I am more attentive to my projects them I am to the workings of this saw......

DaveTTc,

The Laser is not fixed to the stationary body...it is fixed to the sliding saw section.

This now means I have to take back my remarks & comments about the 65 x 65 void area. The void does occur when the sliding arm is in the full back position. If the slider was fixed by the glide adjustment screw and used as a type of fixed chop saw without the slide... the void exists. Once you start to slide the arm forward, the laser clears the section of machine body where the beam window exists and then creates a beam down into this previously void area BUT this is fleeting as you continue to pull the saw forward, the laser then passes in front of the fence and the line disappears from the work piece.

The laser line disappears and reappears on the work piece depending on the location of the sliding arm and whether there is anything between the laser and the work piece which stands to reason and is a no brainer.

As you mentioned Dave, the laser is not an essential element...it is nice to have for aligning the line of the saw blade with the desired cut location. It does not enhance a cut or make a cut any straighter.....it is a rapid alignment tool , nothing else. If the table & fences & saw blade are set up correctly, that is the main thing.

DaveTTC
5th February 2017, 12:48 PM
Thx for the update skot

DaveTTC

Turning Wood into Art

skot
5th February 2017, 12:58 PM
A couple of short vids showing the laser line changing position & the cutting.

Sorry about the video quality........if I was a quality cameraman, I'd be working in the movie profession.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.brackstone.5/posts/10208868265207140?notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1486259665973075

skot
5th February 2017, 01:11 PM
Can people see those videos?

I uploaded to facebook by mistake and not to YouTube

Not sure if my settings for my facebook are set for public viewing of these vids....I will upload to YouTube and post another link

skot
5th February 2017, 01:22 PM
OK.... YouTube links to the above mentioned videos

Cut...... https://youtu.be/a3v1VHIzZ-o

Laser... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfq-c0yzKCE

Let's try this way

DaveTTC
5th February 2017, 03:49 PM
That's better. Watch it as soon as I get home

DaveTTC

Turning Wood into Art

DaveVman
6th February 2017, 06:33 PM
How did you get the laser to be beside the cut line?
Mine is right on the cut line which means that the blade takes 1mm off past the laser line.

skot
6th February 2017, 07:53 PM
It was delivered that way

skot
11th February 2017, 01:53 PM
Difference in size from my old broken Electra Beckum to the Swarts

406044 406045

but I only had to drop my recessed section of the bench for the SCMC by 5mm for the table of the SCMS to be the same height of the adjoining benches

skot
11th February 2017, 06:31 PM
This is a direct statement from Swarts Tools website for the SCMS........

"New to the Australian market our saw boasts internal bar ultra-smooth ball bearingslides. These allow you to put the saw right up against a wall or at the very the edge of a bench without the slides extending out the back of the saw like other models."

This statement is correct in respect to the saw being able to placed up against the wall UNLESS you want to use the supplied dust bag. If the bag is used it protrudes approx 100mm past the rear of the machine when in the full back position. So the SCMS would have to be pulled away from the wall and take up more bench space if the dust bag is utilised. The saw would be able to be back against the wall if a shop vac or DC was attached with an elbow on the exhaust duct on the saw.

Cheers

Scott

aldav
11th February 2017, 09:50 PM
Wow, a bit off subject, but you certainly haven't wasted too much time filling up that new shed. :D

skot
11th February 2017, 10:19 PM
I have had that "new" shed for over 11 years

skot
11th February 2017, 10:38 PM
Equipment sure is getting cheaper

I just had a look at posts from people that had bought the same model Electra Beckum as mine.

Discovered a post by a British woodworker who was extremely pleased that he got a discount on his and paid £269 back in 2002. I knew I paid a far bit but can not remember the amount. That was about $500 in 2002 dollars. You can pick up similar machines for $200-$300 now.

aldav
12th February 2017, 08:31 AM
Whoops! Getting my forum members crossed up. I guess it's a byproduct of ageing. :B

DaveVman
12th February 2017, 10:35 AM
My Swarts has gone off square. The blade is no longer square to the fence. I thought it was originally but now I am cutting wide boards for real work I see it is way out of square. Perhaps something is loose. I'll have to refer to the manual to figure out where to adjust that.
Yes you can cut quite wide boards on this beast. These boards are about 300mm.

skot
12th February 2017, 12:57 PM
Dave,

If you look at one of my earlier posts you will see that squaring the fence to the blade is not in the manual but easy to adjust...just need a 6mm allen key

skot
12th February 2017, 01:00 PM
1) Blade square to Fence in 0° locked cross cut position ?....as mentioned this was not the case out of the box but it only needed a minor adjustment.

The misalignment may not have been noticable on smaller pieces of timber but this machine can cut a width of 340mm. Over that distance any misalignment will show up by the end of the cut.

NOTE: To Sam (Swart Tools)..the booklet that comes with the machine covers adjustment for blade to the table BUT NOT blade to the fence. As much as quality control may insist that the saw & fence are square in the 0° position...where ever a component is fixed by bolts/screws, there is the possibility of misalignment.

Although the book didn't cover the realignment, I was able to work it out quickly. The fence is fixed to the table by 4 x 6mm bolts with allen heads (2 each end of the fence...see pic below) access from the top of the fence.Those black holes that you can see inside the slot.

a) Engage the fence into the locked position at 0°
b) Slightly loosen the 4 bolts
c) Using a square against the fence, rotate the fence until the other face of the square is parallel or flat against the blade's face
d) Carefully tighten the bolts and check that the blade is still square to the fence
e) Re Zero pointer on the protractor on front of machine.

yaegunp
8th May 2017, 12:49 AM
My first post on this forum so I hope I don't cop a beating for being an employee of Swartz tools. I purchased the SCMS based on the reviews in this thread and received it on the 31st March.

First and foremost I would like to say I experienced the best after sales support in my lifetime from Samuel at Swarts Tools. True I did experience a problem with the saw but it was quickly sorted out and with no extra cost to me for postage and such. Really couldn't have been more helpful and fair.

That said I did have to do some re-aligning of the saw, but since then I have it cutting square to my liking. The blade does a fairly good job with little chop out, so I would say that I'm very happy with my purchase especially for the price and the 3 year warranty.

bueller
10th June 2017, 09:29 PM
So are people happy with these machines after a bit of adjustment and use? I'm going to buy one in the next day or two unless someone says otherwise, doesn't really seem like there's much competition without spending 2x the money.

DaveVman
10th June 2017, 09:37 PM
Yes I'm very happy with it.
However ask them if they now come with new stops. They promised new stops in the 2nd half of this year so just ask. If not, check the accuracy of the stops when you get it. Especially after changing angles.
As you say anything better is going to be 3 times the price.

bueller
10th June 2017, 09:39 PM
Cheers mate, will do.

custom_chippy45
14th June 2017, 03:17 PM
Having used nearly every drop saw on the market and found problems with everyone of them, I took a chance on buying a Swartz 12" slide compound saw. I'm actually very glad I did. Service was first class and extremely fast. Over all this punches well above its tiny price tag. There was no issues adjusting the fence to a perfect square and operations are very smooth. Adjusting angles is not a positive exact lock/clic, but once I remembered to chech the angle indicator it wasn't a problem. Having already dulled the blade it came with I installed a quality thin cut type blade and the saw really performs better again. Several other chippies onsite have already dumped their expensive awkward droppys in favourer of this new beast. I can't fault this saw at all.

bueller
14th June 2017, 03:24 PM
That's good to hear. I've got one on order now but just awaiting more stock, excited for its arrival!

Gassito
1st August 2017, 01:58 PM
Bueller, any new feedback on your new Swartz?

DaveVman
1st August 2017, 02:23 PM
Just a quick update about my Swarts saw after using it for a few months. I'm very happy with it.
After a few uses it seemed to go out of square. I emailed SWARTS and Sam called me back and talked me through adjusting the saw over the phone. He also gave me several other tips. Try getting service like that for a $300/$400 tool from anyone else. The problem was that the positive stops are not positive enough. Once I realised this was the issue I just had to adjust it to make sure 90 degrees really is 90 degrees. Now, even when I cut an angle and then move it back to square it cuts square.
For example the other day I cut some mitres. Then last night I switched it back to square and cut some 240mm boards square - no problem at all.

Apparently they plan to improve these stops in the future and also issue a retro kit for existing saws.

I make a cut just outside my line and then work up to it to get a sub-mm perfect cut so I have only been using the laser to tell me very roughly where the blade is. In the manual is says the laser can not be adjusted. I talked to Samuel about this and he told me it can be adjusted and they should change the manual. I haven't got around to adjusting the laser yet because I don't rely on it but Sam has explained to me how to do it so I'll try this at some point when I get around to it because it would be handy to line things up faster.

Incidentally I also bought a shop vac from Swarts and this has been running just fine also.

Gassito
1st August 2017, 03:53 PM
Thank you DaveVman!