PDA

View Full Version : Microplane's

wheelinround
7th November 2012, 08:39 AM
Here's a good video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRsAlvgf8E)on the series/types of Microplanes available and some new ones I had not seen before for fitting to hacksaw frames. Video was done for Axminster (http://www.axminster.co.uk/) in the UK.

Only place I have seen these here is Carbatec but limited range.

dai sensei
7th November 2012, 08:32 PM
I have had a few for years. I got my first handled ones from SEQWoodworking for carving details on the bowls etc, then bought some more cylinder type ones from?? at last years WWW show. The work really well on the softer stuff, haven't tried on the hard stuff

Jonzjob
8th November 2012, 12:14 AM
We have a couple of those in the kitchen. Very efficient at shredding all sorts nd I've often wondered what they would be like on wood?

I don't think I will push my luck with the OHs tools though:C:C

wheelinround
8th November 2012, 08:04 AM
We have a couple of those in the kitchen. Very efficient at shredding all sorts nd I've often wondered what they would be like on wood?

I don't think I will push my luck with the OHs tools though:C:C

I have a couple of the kitchen ones ideal for drawing towards as thats the nature of the cut. LOML has her own set.

hughie
8th November 2012, 09:12 AM
I have got a couple and use the for roughing out, bit too coarse for fine stuff tho'. I wish they would make a fine cut version.
I have noticed our hard timber will take the edge of the plane, but all in all its a good tool.

wheelinround
9th November 2012, 08:24 AM
I have got a couple and use the for roughing out, bit too coarse for fine stuff tho'. I wish they would make a fine cut version.
I have noticed our hard timber will take the edge of the plane, but all in all its a good tool.

Mine are fine Neil.

Christos
10th November 2012, 09:01 PM
I purchased one when it was on special from Carba-tec.

The Microplane was nice to use as it takes off waste from the piece of wood very quickly. I also ended up purchasing something similar from Aldi store that was advertised as a kitchen utensil. The Microplane from Carba-Tec works by pushing and the Aldi one works in the opposite direction.

dr4g0nfly
11th November 2012, 08:09 AM

They were invented for using on wood, I even remember a TV cooking show where they said that they had got one from a hardware store and they were great for cheese etc.. Since then sales have gone up and more are sold as kitchen items than wood planes.

The small gas torch wound up as a kitchen accessory the same way.

Still, at least the greater volume of sales increases their availability and decreases the per unit cost.