PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Indexing ring

torchwood
8th November 2012, 12:22 PM
Hi all, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with removing this indexing ring and replacing it with a large wheel to make hand turning easier. The lathe is a Poolewood PW 28-40.
There doesn’t appear to be any grub screw or anything else holding it on to the shaft. Short of using a grinder, can anyone offer a suggestion for removing it. Cheers Harry

Big Shed
8th November 2012, 12:51 PM
Harry, if that was my lathe I would be inclined to leave the indexing ring on and turn up a larger handwheel with a hole in it sized to press fit over the indexing ring. Plywood (19mm?) would probably do the job.

After all, even if you did take the indexing ring off, you would still have to attach the new handwheel to the shaft.

If you really do want to take the indexing ring off, I would have a go with a pulley puller, I am assuming it is pressed on.

artme
8th November 2012, 02:42 PM
By the look of where the motor is mounted it seems that any solution will be a headache.

wheelinround
8th November 2012, 03:43 PM
Harry it appears to be screw threaded most likely. If its never been removed soak with DW40, lock the other side of the headstock and unscrew I reckon a bar or large monkey wrench maybe.

I agree with Arthur but not entirely, use of an indexer can have its benefits.

I'd make a handle to fit, so you had a mortise fitting over the index section and screw through the wood into the indexer face.

chambezio
8th November 2012, 03:51 PM
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
With the indexing ring on the left side.....if its screwed on to the shaft, it would most likely have a left hand thread.
Not trying to be a smart ars... I have been caught before in a similar situation.

orraloon
8th November 2012, 04:46 PM
I would see if it unscrews but as it has been on there a long time it may be pretty hard to undoo. Have a try but stop short of damageing anything. If it wont shift then as others have said make a wood wheel to fit over it. If it was my lathe I would leave it on as I find indexing a very handy feature.
Regards
John

torchwood
8th November 2012, 05:12 PM
Hi again, since putting up this post I have learned that it is screwed on. I put WD-40 on the end and made a half hearted attempt to loosen it, but I chickened out, I didn’t want to break anything. I will do what some of you have suggested, and fit a wheel over the ring. Thanks for your help, Harry.

Jonzjob
9th November 2012, 12:01 AM
With the best will in the world WD40 is not what you need to shift a locked screw thread. What you need is penetrating oil. Something like this sounds quite Aussie :o

DAE " Freeze Your Nuts Off !" (http://www.automaintain.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=71&Itemid=1)

WD40 was designed just as a water displacer, hence WD. It may work, but there are much better jobbies.

Happy amateur
9th November 2012, 12:42 AM
I would suggest you logonto www.poolewood.co.uk (http://www.poolewood.co.uk) and send Terry Davis a query.
He should be able to advise

Fred

Paul39
9th November 2012, 07:15 AM
Torchwood, See post of Oct. 22, 2010 3:36PM in the below thread: Poolewood 2840 : Wood Turning - Lathes - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/poolewood-2840-t45405.html) If you go here, you may magnify the images to actually read them: https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=607&q=poolewood+2840+lathe&oq=poolewood+2840+lathe&gs_l=img.12...1930.10088.0.12383.20.9.0.11.11.0.108.855.6j3.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.jag_CxyGcsQ

hughie
9th November 2012, 08:58 AM
[]With the best will in the world WD40 is not what you need to shift a locked screw thread. What you need is penetrating oil. Something like this sounds quite Aussie :o

DAE " Freeze Your Nuts Off !" (http://www.automaintain.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=71&Itemid=1)

Dunno never any of these products that successful :no: as to penetration WD should work and or Kero.
If its been there a long time then the whole process will be over days not hours or minutes. Big Sheds idea is the way to go, all over done and dusted in no time and your back turning. :2tsup:

Jonzjob
9th November 2012, 09:08 AM
I have to admit that I like the index ring I fitted on my chuch, ot on the lathe, and I wish it were on the lathe. So I too would fit a bigger hand wheel and leave it there..

Paul39
9th November 2012, 10:44 AM
Below is my version. The Hegner has right hand threads on both ends, but provides a set screw on the outboard side. It is 33mm X 3.5 thread. My neighbor discarded a motorized child's jeep. The hand wheel is the steering wheel. The inside diameter of the hub was just a bit bigger than the 33mm of the spindle. To see how it worked, I put a couple wraps of duct tape on the spindle and forced the hub on. It has been like that for 6 months and is most handy.

torchwood
9th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks to Big Shed and all who replied, this seems to be working fine. Harry

Paul39
10th November 2012, 02:02 AM
Very nice! When you next have a piece of half worn sandpaper about 150 grit, run the lathe and apply it to the rusty part of the index ring until it is nice and shiny. Then with a rag that has some of your rub on finish left, rub over the shiny. Not only will it look nice and not rust if you have damp conditions, but will be easier on your hand or knuckle if you rub against it at high rpm.

smiife
11th November 2012, 07:27 PM
Below is my version. The Hegner has right hand threads on both ends, but provides a set screw on the outboard side. It is 33mm X 3.5 thread. My neighbor discarded a motorized child's jeep. The hand wheel is the steering wheel. The inside diameter of the hub was just a bit bigger than the 33mm of the spindle. To see how it worked, I put a couple wraps of duct tape on the spindle and forced the hub on. It has been like that for 6 months and is most handy.

paul that version of hand wheel surprised me
have you never worried about catching
a finger in the spokes:o:o:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Paul39
12th November 2012, 05:10 AM
paul that version of hand wheel surprised me
have you never worried about catching
a finger in the spokes:o:o:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

I had not until a couple of days ago, when I did stick a finger between the spokes. No damage, but it did get my attention.

As I do not reach over there unless the lathe is turned off and coasting down, or off and I am turning the spindle by hand, I'll leave it for now.