PDA

View Full Version : YAY for the day goes to

ozhunter
8th November 2012, 06:54 PM
Some of you may have seen this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/problems-off-tool-finish-160980/), where I found difficulties with spirals appearing on the work piece.

Lots of folks replied with useful info that I took note of.

I got a PM from about the time he was stuck in Barcaldine. He offered to divert to my place on his way home to give me a few first hand tips.

Yesterday was the allotted day. He lobbed at 8.30am and left a bit after six.

This post is to say a very big thanks to for going out of his way to help a forum member.

The day was a booming success from my point of view. 's instruction style is easy follow. I was able to digest his instructions and put them to use.

We then got onto sharpening. I bought a Tormek T7 at the Sydney WW show. It was still sitting in the boxes as I hadn't had time to unpack it and set it up. Well, in about three minutes flat we had all the boxes unpacked and waded into setting it up. My plan was to use the traditional grinder for shaping using the Tormek grinder set-up, and then use the T7 for final shaping and finishing, and thats what we did. The two systems worked well together.

What a difference really sharp tools make. My old system, whilst very basic was adequate. I have to recommend the Tomek system, it does a really good job.

After left, for the first time since I got my lathe, I was able to roll three beads without even looking like getting a catch. They look a bit wonky, but I never got a catch and you can tell what they are supposed to be.

So, again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.:2tsup::brava:2tsup:

If you are in need of a bit of instruction with regards to turninespeciallylly using the skew) or sharpening, and the opportunity arises, I strongly suggest you seek out . The day was worth every cent of the thirty four and half gallons of tea. I learnt a heap and as long as I do my part and put in the practice, the results of the day will come through in my work.

_fly_
8th November 2012, 07:35 PM
I also was lucky enough to get training from .
He's really good at teaching, easy to understand and the progression thru each lesson is understandable.
I was having a play today and thought, mmm beads, get the skew instead of the gouge ( would be happy).

Now its practice, practice, practice.

My neighbour had some rubbish tree cut down and I use that to practice on, Sometimes I wind up with something I can keep, Sometimes it gets skewed till there's nothing left.

Glad you enjoyed it and now feel confident to go forward.

So agreeing, if you want instruction on the lathe, Get .
Come to Melbourne, Or see when he's going to be in your area.

hughie
9th November 2012, 08:51 AM
Some of you may have seen this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/problems-off-tool-finish-160980/), where I found difficulties with spirals appearing on the work piece.

Jeez, you know how long I spend trying to make spirals on mine ? :no: :U

Mulgabill
9th November 2012, 09:07 AM
Yep! That's the sort of guy is:2tsup:

RETIRED
9th November 2012, 09:24 PM
My pleasure, glad we got it ll sorted.:cool:

powderpost
9th November 2012, 11:06 PM
Jeez, you know how long I spend trying to make spirals on mine ? :no: :U
Isn't that what a skew is used for? :doh:
Jim

ozhunter
11th November 2012, 05:46 PM
Well the proof is in the pudding. Got my turning tools way sharper than I have ever had them using the Tormek - so sharp that I find myself shaking my head at how sharp they are.

Attacked some wood today. Using 's tips, the below pic shows the result. Not perfect, but waaaaay above anything I've attempted in the past. The next piece I tried didn't come out quite as good, but the cause this time was carelessness on my behalf with the skew. I wasn't taking enough care with tool placement and managed to drive the long point into the work.

The kindling hereabouts will be funny shapes for a while.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/beads.jpg

ozhunter
11th November 2012, 07:59 PM
One last photo. I wanted to make something. I tried to copy the legs of a very old Australian Red Cedar table that's been in my family for ever. The first pic is the result.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/legs.jpg

One quick question. What tool wouyld be best to get into a tight spot like the area just below what is supposed to be a mushroom - if that's the right term?

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/mushroom.jpg

I tried several diffewrent ways, but couldn't get it and ended up with a catch from a spindle gouge. That's why the mushroom is sorter than it should be.

I'll leave you alone now.

RETIRED
11th November 2012, 10:47 PM
Good effort Adam.

For that type of foot a spindle gouge is what I would use. It is nearly half a gothic cove with a steep side.

_fly_
11th November 2012, 11:02 PM
Got to be happy with those results.

Cliff Rogers
11th November 2012, 11:17 PM
Now here is a tip... keep practicing until you can do it in your sleep. :wink:

ozhunter
11th November 2012, 11:28 PM
Very happy, fly.

I have other things that need attending to in my sleep Cliff :wink:, but I'll definitly keep up the practice and make a few things.

Thanks , some of the instruction must have sunk through my thick skull.