PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Colour

pommyphil
12th November 2012, 01:30 PM
Hi, Got a heap of very colourful green ( unseasoned :rolleyes: ) camphor.

What is the best way, the best finish to retain as much colour as possible ??

Thanks Phil 240521

wheelinround
12th November 2012, 01:44 PM
Thats a brilliant camphor colour well done.

Spray it with Satin light coats might darken a little.

dai sensei
12th November 2012, 03:28 PM
I'd use an oil when finishing, to bring out the colour, like DO, BLO or something.

ticklingmedusa
12th November 2012, 03:35 PM
I don't have much experience with camphor but with some species
vibrant colors will last longer if finished pieces are kept out of direct sunlight.

smiife
12th November 2012, 07:00 PM
hi phil,
i would have to agree with neil,DO oil is the way to go,
i finished a similar platter on the weekend with DO.
put on plenty of DO.and sand off with 400grit ,dry it off
and then ,eee and glow and the colours are great
cheers smiife:2tsup:

hughie
13th November 2012, 01:29 PM
At the end of the day theres not too much we can do stop the process. There is one product from Ciba-Giegy called Lignostab. But its not available herein Oz and the management here are B... useless about communication. I tried for awhile but nobody would speak to me.

ogato
13th November 2012, 03:01 PM
At the end of the day theres not too much we can do stop the process. There is one product from Ciba-Giegy called Lignostab. But its not available herein Oz and the management here are B... useless about communication. I tried for awhile but nobody would speak to me.

A quick checkup with Dr Google indicates that BASF Group has taken over C/G. Also found a link that seems to allow requests for samples. Maybe worth an enquiry . . . . .

LIGNOSTAB® 1198 by BASF Resins - Paint & Coatings (http://www.innovadex.com/Coatings/Detail/479/188040/LIGNOSTAB-1198)

Jeff

rsser
16th November 2012, 12:21 PM
Oils vary quite a lot in depth of colour. There was a review of them a few years ago in AWR that covered the variation in this and other respects.

Oil can with some timbers 'pop' the figure beautifully. Eg. Blackwood in most cases.

Most timbers are going to darken anyway with UV and oxidation. But IME CL isn't really bad in that respect.

If I want the min. of finish darkening I use nitrocellulose sanding sealer well-diluted, at least 2 coats, and then finish with ubeaut Trad Wax. I'd imagine that white shellac would work as well.