PDA

View Full Version : Piano Stool Resto

martrix
4th April 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi guys,
just finished making a new seat lid for a relatives family heirloom. I only made the new seat lid, so dont judge me on the rest of the piece as it is a little questionable and very old. Had to stain and match the color of new timber to the seat, which i think came up all right. The upholstery was a new thing for me and was not as easy as i thought! Has any one else had experience doing this style of upholstery? Do you think charging $230 for this job is reasonable ($40 materials)?
cheers Tim.

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 05:24 PM
$230!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

I wouldnt get that much for the whole thing in me shop..

Al :confused:

Finger Dicer
4th April 2005, 05:56 PM
If you took it to a professional restorer I would wager it may well have cost more. I dont know how much time you took to do the job...but the average hrly trade rate here in NZ if $40 - $60 per hour depending on where you live, I would say they got a good deal.

5hrs x $45.00 for example would be a minimum I think. Taking into account its an OLD Family Heirloom, price generally isnt an issue.

However the Scotsman in me would no doubt be running off down to Ozwinners shop to see what he had :D :p

RufflyRustic
4th April 2005, 06:19 PM
Great work on the stool, both the upholstery work - very neat!!! and matching the colour. I think the owners will love what you've done.

It's worth whatever you can get and are comfortable asking/getting for it. Good work is worth the money. It's your work & there are certain costs to recover, but I think the real question is how do you value your time?

Me - being a novice - I don't charge much per hour, if at all. However, it really depends on the piece, what it cost me to make, and how long I spent making it, how many splinters I had to remove...

Cheers
RufflyRustic

martrix
4th April 2005, 06:24 PM
$230!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

I wouldnt get that much for the whole thing in me shop..

Al :confused:
Hi ozstriker,
what kind of things do you sell in your shop?

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 06:43 PM
Ohwww, this and that..

Al

Gumby
4th April 2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Al, how much for that little vacuum I see in photo 2. Mines on the way out..... :)

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 07:27 PM
$600.

What, what..

Al :eek:

Gumby
4th April 2005, 07:36 PM
I'll bet it's just like new. Not much use, low km's, still on it's first bag :D :D :D

ptc
5th April 2005, 11:10 AM
Al
Show us a pic of your favorite piece in your shop.
please.!

ozwinner
5th April 2005, 08:02 PM
Il get the missus to take the camera to work tomorrow.

Al :)

Kris.Parker1
6th April 2005, 11:43 AM
Looks good, nice job...

ozwinner
7th April 2005, 07:26 PM
Al
Show us a pic of your favorite piece in your shop.
please.!As promised, some of my fave items in the shop at the moment.
A Blackwood buffet.
A Blackwood oval table with four BW chairs.

echnidna
7th April 2005, 07:29 PM
nice

outback
7th April 2005, 08:07 PM
As promised, some of my fave items in the shop at the moment.
A Blackwood buffet.
A Blackwood oval table with four BW chairs.

As new, only eaten at by a little old lady on Sundays. On its first table cloth. :D

Harry72
7th April 2005, 10:13 PM
Nice work on the stool Martrix