PDA

View Full Version : New motor

KBs PensNmore
13th November 2012, 08:01 PM
I have a Variable Speed Woodlathe of unknown make. The motor is shot, :(( it is approx 80mm diameter, 150mm long with the shaft 8mm dia and about 40mm long, it has 2 wires plus an earth. Anyone have a lathe with this size motor, if so what make is it please, so that I can try to obtain a spare.
Thanks
Kryn

Paul39
14th November 2012, 01:32 AM
Sounds as though you have a mini lathe. Go to Google Images and put in "mini lathe" to see if a close approximation of your lathe shows up. Then you can contact the maker to see if a motor is available. There are manufacturers
who make the same lathe in various colors and nameplates for many different sellers.

Unless you are positively sure the motor is shot, ie: you have seen the magic smoke come out, it is likely the controller has died.

You most likely have a DC system as opposed to a Variable Frequency Drive, which turns single phase mains current to 3 phase. If you find a DC voltage printed on the motor, apply that or less from a battery and see if it turns.

If the motor turns, open the controller and look to see if anything is scorched or blown, usually the power SCR - usually a black plastic chip screwed to a heat sink. An electronics shop or yourself can replace that.

KBs PensNmore
14th November 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Paul, unfortunately the motor has no markings on it at all, the person that gave me the lathe was told the motor is cactus???? That is all I know about it, will check out the control panel and see if any thing is burnt in there. Thanks for the heads up.
Kryn

Mobyturns
15th November 2012, 08:23 AM
Kryn,
A while back the DC VS on my small Nova Mercury lathe started playing up, hunting for speed, no power etc but electricians could not diagnose the problem. My brother in law is an industrial electrician with extensive experience in <st1:stockticker>PLC</st1:stockticker>'s etc couldn't sort it either so it had to go as Teknatool stopped manufacture and did not support parts.

I got hold of a small DC VS unit from SE Qld Woodworking supplies, I think it’s off either the Jets or similar small lathes. Unfortunately the motor shaft dia was too large for the drive pulley. The Mercury has a very small drive pulley so could not be rebored to suit which meant a trip to a local machinist who easily reduced the motor shaft dia to suit plus modified the motors mounts to suit the lathe as well. Not that cheap really, I think all up a touch over $300, but the lathe was worth keeping.

vk4
15th November 2012, 09:23 AM
Kryn,

In these situations , a picture is worth a thousand words, I would suggest that you talk to your local wood turning supplies, as they may have catalog's from manufactures that will give you an idea as to the make & model.

Jeff
vk4

KBs PensNmore
15th November 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Everyone, the motor looks very similar to the Jet 1014VS (according to parts drawing) but the dealer hasn't answered my inquiry, so was hoping that someone could tell me if it was from a Jet or some other make. I know it is not a Woodfast as their motor is a lot larger in size, so that it won't fit underneath.
Regards
Kryn

dabbler
15th November 2012, 08:12 PM
Kryn - why not talk to an electric motor rewind service ? They may want to see the actual motor before committing and are unlikely to tell you anything about the lathe itself, but they should be able to repair or suggest a suitable replacement. Knowing the original manufacturer will only help if it's not some sort of orphan and "genuine" replacements are available.