PDA

View Full Version : machine screws

aljenit
4th April 2005, 06:34 PM
Can machine screws be used in woodwork? :confused: I have 3 boxes of Sutton steel screws like the large one pictured and don't know if they are worth keeping.
Sorry about the attachment size Computer newbie at work :o

echnidna
4th April 2005, 06:47 PM
Cut a small mortice in the job so you can fit a nut on the end of the screw. Square nuts work better than hex nuts if the mortice is a snug fit.

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 06:52 PM
There are all sorts of inserts you can get also that take metal threads.

Al :)

Ross
4th April 2005, 06:55 PM
Never throw anything away, remember within a week of throwing something away you'll need it.

You will always find a use for them.

Ross

bitingmidge
4th April 2005, 07:08 PM
You can just screw or tap them straight in, (as in tap a thread not tap with a hammer).

Tests seem to indicate that screwing them straight into a suitably sized hole will give slightly higher holding than using a tap first.

The January/February issue #182 of WoodenBoat magazine has an article on the use of machine screws and refers to testing done by Leonard Lee of Lee Valley which shows they have a greater holding power than wood screws. The caveat is that they are best used to hold two pieces of timber together (rather than pull), and are excellent for mounting hardware.
Cheers.

P

bsrlee
4th April 2005, 11:02 PM
What bitingmidge said!

You can find the reference info in Lee Valley's catalog & web site too - they sell 1/4"-20tpi taps & screws for just this purpose.

smidsy
4th April 2005, 11:29 PM
Twenty years ago my father worked at a fastener factory here in Perth and use to bring stuff home all the time - I am still to this day using those bolts and screws he brought home twenty years ago.

Never throw out this sort of stuff.
Cheers
Paul

ptc
5th April 2005, 10:53 AM
I left all my, save it ( will come in handy) in Qld.
do i regret That. YES!
But the local Timber does make up for it a bit.

bitingmidge
5th April 2005, 11:51 AM
I left all my, save it ( will come in handy) in Qld.
do i regret That. YES!
But the local Timber does make up for it a bit.

Yes, I can sympathise with how regrettable leaving Qld must have been.....

P
:D :D :D

bitingmidge
5th April 2005, 11:55 AM
After quite a lot of searching !!!!

Here is one reference on the Lee Valley Site http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40057&cat=3,41306

I can't for the life of me find any others, but as noted above, the tap is not strictly necessary.

Cheers,

P

aljenit
5th April 2005, 01:58 PM
The lee valley site is very interesting. It looks like I won't be putting these screws in Buy,swap & sell just yet. I will have to try and find a project to use these screws in rather than the other way around :rolleyes: Thanks again