PDA

View Full Version : Dogs for Woodturners

Colin62
15th November 2012, 03:25 AM
I've recently adopted a dog whose owners had to move and were unable to take her with. I've never really thought about it much, but I've realised that some breeds are more suitable for turners than others. My great dane has always had a spot near the door where she can lie and watch me work, as did her predecessor, but things got a little complicated with the new dog. She is a husky, and she got absolutely covered in shavings, which all stuck to her long fur, and some got dragged back into the house. I can see that I am going to need to brush her at the end of a turning session, whereas the older girl just gives a quick shake and all is back to normal.

dr4g0nfly
15th November 2012, 07:35 AM
Yep, short haired dogs sound like the order of the day, at least to maintain the harmony in the home.

wheelinround
15th November 2012, 07:51 AM
There are a few members who were on here who have Huskies/Mallamute PTC in Tassie and Woodlee in Katherine the latter being more into metal shavings than wood shavings. Myself a short hair foxy not often a visitor to the workshop as he stays out the back.

tea lady
15th November 2012, 07:58 AM
:U A quick blow with the air compressor? :doh: Mine would try and eat the air. :rolleyes: She always wants to sit in the car rather than even sit in the shavings. A jackie though. Dirt seems to fall off her. :cool:

hughie
15th November 2012, 11:22 AM
:U My Burmese just picks a high spot and watches and at then end of the day cleans herself down pretty well.

bench1holio
15th November 2012, 01:12 PM
i used to have a red nose american pitbull terrier that would lie under the lathe getting covered in shavings while i was working! :)