PDA

View Full Version : Bobwoodworks lathes

BobWoodworks
18th November 2012, 11:55 PM
Tealady,

As promised hear are some pics of my set up. I've been commercial turner and teacher for twenty years. After seeing Robbos thread on his new Wadkin I can tell him that he is going to love it, as I do mine.

RETIRED
19th November 2012, 07:14 AM
Very impressive. Looks like you have the 8" Wadkin. Mine is only the 6" one.

A couple of questions.

Does the bowl lathe have a hydraulic speed adjuster?

Does the rail on the floor get in the way of your feet on the long one?

dr4g0nfly
19th November 2012, 08:00 AM
That's an impressive collection and workshop you've got there.

tea lady
19th November 2012, 08:22 AM
:2tsup:

BobWoodworks
19th November 2012, 09:29 PM
Very impressive. Looks like you have the 8" Wadkin. Mine is only the 6" one.

A couple of questions.

Does the bowl lathe have a hydraulic speed adjuster?

Does the rail on the floor get in the way of your feet on the long one?

Yes, Mine is the 8 footer. Its the same lathe that I learned how to turn on 23 years ago when woodturning was still considered a trade. Hunter TAFE had four of them and when they shut down the woodturning section, I jumped in and bought it. I also have the outboard pedestal and the carriage (they are rare).
Yes, the hydraulic gearbox is shown in the photo, You can dial up 0-about 4000 RPM, excellent for large stuff. I mainly turn circular architraves on it (pretty much the only one doing it in NSW) but it great for large platters and bowls. With the Wadkin pedestal its agreat unit. very stable. This lathe was made at the BHP Newcastle and came out of the carpenters shop. It originally had a 3.0 bed before I turned it into a free end turning lathe. It came with a set of solid brass toolrests.
No, not that I have ever noticed. My feet can fit underneath and sometimes its comfortable to rest your feet on when doing multiple smalls. It has a 650 Suzuki gearbox with five gears fast and slow, thats 10 speed, forward and reverse. I have mounted a tailstock on a pedestal so that I can turn longer than 4.5m. The longest was a replica ships mast for the MSB, 250x250 oregan 8m long. I also turn flagpoles.

RETIRED
19th November 2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for that. Henry was supposed to be hydraulic drive but we ran out of time and I haven't got around to it.

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2012, 08:23 PM
Nice shed

hope you don't mind a visitor next time I'm up Newcastle way?