PDA

View Full Version : Carba-tec 1hp dust extractor for workshop.

bfilmer
10th September 2001, 04:41 PM
I have read the old posts re cheap dust extraction. I notice that Carba-tec are offering a 1hp dust extractor for only $209.. that seems cheap!
My question is, for a small home workshop where noise is an issue is 1hp through 4" pipe enough for genric pickup from the router / jig saw / floor clean up? Has anyone bought a small two bag 1hp extractor and found it lacking?
Thanks in advance Brad.

Rod Smith
10th September 2001, 09:59 PM
G'day B
I have an elektra beckam 3/4 hp 1000m3 per hour (580cfm by my calculation). This seems perfectly adequate for single machine use. I also have a 1400cfm woodfast 2hp 3 ph unit with a wizz bank filter, must put it to use one day. I have compared the 2 with non scientific tests, seems they both provide the same amount of air flow/suction. However the woodfast can do it x 2 or 3 connections at a time. And or I imagine it will provide the grunt for a ducted system one of these days? It would pay to check about the bag and its micron size. The ideal I think is to have a fairly course bag, but located outside the workshop so that the fine particles are not released inside.
Cheers
Rod

bfilmer
11th September 2001, 05:40 PM
Ta muchly,
Hmmmm! Perhaps then, for my application, single machine type work at this stage, this might be suitable....
I will keep looking though and maybe check the salvage yards perhaps I can find a decent sucker and DIY.
Cheers
bradf

barrysumpter
20th September 2001, 04:32 PM
You can get a really decent reconditioned vacuum cleaner for $129 - a triton dust collector or about $40??? - and build your own filtering as you see fit. I've built a box for my vacuum with heaps of air holes to dampen the noise.

I've got a really long extention hose on mine and I'm happy with the pressure.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Iain
20th September 2001, 05:43 PM
Thats what I did Barry but I picked up a secondhand Miele at a garage sale for $5.00
They thought it was funny because the hose didn't stay on but a quick dismantle and reaasemble and it just like a new one. That is only for the sander and little things. I am still waiting for the big one.

bfilmer
21st September 2001, 06:41 PM
Accoring to Carba-tec. A 1hp will only do max 2m of 4 inch tubing for one outlet at a time. And forget any smaller appature piping.
2hp is better and the review as mentioned in a previous post is very insightfull and points the way to a more expensive solution at 2hp minimum. What's the moral...
You cant buy cheap tools. ;-)

thanks all for the posts.

JackoH
22nd September 2001, 06:29 PM
Doorstop.
Get yourself a Triton Dust Collector bucket thingy and put between your vacuum cleaner and the dust collection point. Doesn,t block up the vac and collects a surprising amount of dust and shavings. Costs about $37 from Bunnies, or probably $60 in Mt.G.
Regards. John H.

Roger Peine
24th September 2001, 10:08 PM
I run a generic brand 1HP collector in my shop. It is great for single machines, ie: Thicknesser, buzzer, spindle moulder or saw bench. Forget running ducting though, not near enough grunt. An old Vac' as stated in prior posts, is the go for hand held tools.

John Saxton
8th October 2001, 05:46 PM
A point here relative to the subject is that a small dust extractor can have more than one outlet/inlet with the provision that each outlet/inlet has a blast gate and all joints are thoroughly sealed to retain efficiency in operation.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno