PDA

View Full Version : My first pen...

PoPnBuG
5th April 2005, 05:33 AM
It's rough, the grain is not aligned, the clip is a bit "out", but it is still my first pen! I know it needs work, but the next one will be better...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=1162&cid=1256

oges
6th April 2005, 02:16 PM
See what you mean about the grain, but still doesnt look too bad to me

Kris.Parker1
6th April 2005, 05:00 PM
Nice looking pens, well done.

JackoH
6th April 2005, 05:14 PM
Not bad for a first attempt. It looks to me that you may well have turned one half of the blank around when assembling. In other words the end with the clip on it should be in the middle, or the end with the point should, - If you see what I mean! :confused:
(Well I know what I mean! ;)
As I have said on this subject several times in the past: Do yourself a favour and beg, borrow, or steal a copy of " Pens From The Wood Lathe" by Dick Sing.

PoPnBuG
8th April 2005, 02:35 AM
I have Sing's second book, which was very helpful. This pen was done before I had any book at all!!! I'm looking for the first book, the second book is great!

I'm getting my second pen finished now, and it looks better. I'm thinking that the hand saw kerf between blanks is not allowing them to line up "perfectly". I was able to find a more "significant" alignment in this first pen, so when I take my next picture, it will look a LOT better!

I'm in the process of applying finish to the second, and notice that this one doesn't line up very well either. I think there is quite a separation when cutting the blanks in half, then trimming them to the tubes... another lesson learned!

Overall, however, I'm pretty please for my efforts and knowledge thus far. I'm learning more every day, and able to see some of my mistakes and take action before they get too bad!

Thanks for the kind words, I think the next one will be better. (I am a little concerned, I tried to get "creative" ;) with the shape!)

Sprog
8th April 2005, 02:17 PM
I'm in the process of applying finish to the second, and notice that this one doesn't line up very well either. I think there is quite a separation when cutting the blanks in half, then trimming them to the tubes... another lesson learned!

If you use the pen mechanisms with the ferrule in the centre, aligning the grain becomes less of a problem.