PDA

View Full Version : Footings for parpet wall - help please

Interwood
5th April 2005, 09:11 PM
My new neighbour's builder has just poured footings for his garage with a parapet wall which council have approved - to be built adjacent to our boundary.

Here in Perth the builder has removed sand for the footing along the boundary. Then without using any form work, has poured concrete for the footings. My problem is that 6 - 8 inches of concrete footing is now on my side of the boundary because 'sand fell in when they dug the footings trench'.

I would have thought that it would be illegal to do this. The boundary has just been surveyed twice and the marker peg is in clear view.

I have tried talking to the builder and people from his company. Nothing has been done. Owner is just refering me to the builder.

What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Interwood :mad:

johnc
5th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Interwood,

That really sucks, a bit of creep is a pain but that much is simply shoddy. I'd perhaps start with the Building Inspector or Surveyor if you have no luck with the builder or owner, at least they will fill you in on the most appropriate avenue for your complaint, and the earlier the action the easier it is to get the problem rectified.

Good Luck

John

journeyman Mick
6th April 2005, 12:42 AM
Bloke I know has a commercial property just across the road form the largest shopping centre in Cairns. A new building started next door to him so he paid to have his block surveyed. The building went up and he told the project manager that they were building on his property, he was ignored. At the end of the project the builder had it all surveyed and found, suprise suprise that they were about 600mm into his property. They approached Ross and offered to buy the strip of land off him for the valued rate. It came to about $80K. However out of this money he would have to pay subdivision costs, land department fees etc etc which would leave him with only a few grand. He told them to shove it and remove the building from his property. They had to demolish an entire wall, trim everything back and rebuild the 2 storey high block wall. Tell your neighbour to get it sorted NOW before it costs him a lot of money later. If it's on your property you own it. Contact the building department of your council if you have no joy.

Mick

simon c
6th April 2005, 09:19 AM
You could take another approach depending on what type of neighbour you want to be and what type of neighbour your new neighbour will be.

Is it causing you an significant problem or is it the principle that is the issue? If it is significant, then do as suggested and get it sorted out. If, however, it is just theprinciple then discuss it with your neighbour and may be come to some other arrangement. An apologetic neighbour who realises that he has caused you some inconvenience and who feels like he "owes you" may be useful in the long term. But don't put up with any rubbish, if he won't admit it is his fault then get it sorted.

Every time you're both talking over the fence with a stubby in your hand you can point out who's side you are both standing on.

Stylesy
6th April 2005, 06:34 PM
Interwood,

Have sent you a private message re this matter

Craig.

ozwinner
6th April 2005, 07:35 PM
Interwood,

Have sent you a private message re this matter

Craig.
Did you poor the concrete??

Al :confused: