PDA

View Full Version : Rawl plug equivalent for timber?

snowyskiesau
27th November 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm finishing off a Bunnings kitchen for a friend and have struck a hurdle with the doors.

Rather than buy the bunnings doors, I've made them from 18mm MDF.

The problem is securing the hinges to the door. or rather the screws into the MDF. The store bought doors have a plastic insert similar to a rawl plug but with ridges around the insert to hold it in the timber unlike the ones for masonry where the ridges run along the plug. The small screws hold very well in these plugs.

Despite a search, I can't find a mention of such a thing for sale. Any sources spring to mind?

As the screws are so short, I'm reluctant to screw directly into the MDF.

Hope this makes sense.

mic-d
27th November 2012, 03:41 PM
Have a look at this one (http://web2.hettich.com/hbh/Frameset.jsp;jsessionid=D792120CD5ECB839CA6F61F709F8CE65?groupId=%28%5B82%5D%29), is that what you want?
Edit - hmmm link didn't work, but on the page it takes you to select 'various accessories' and then 'various' in the next page.
Cheers
Michael

DJ’s Timber
27th November 2012, 03:58 PM
Have a look at this one (http://web2.hettich.com/hbh/Frameset.jsp;jsessionid=D792120CD5ECB839CA6F61F709F8CE65?groupId=%28%5B82%5D%29), is that what you want?
Edit - hmmm link didn't work, but on the page it takes you to select 'various accessories' and then 'various' in the next page.
Cheers
Michael

I think he might be after the one that is usually supplied for the hinges, do a search for product code 64819 on mic-d's link

snowyskiesau
27th November 2012, 04:43 PM
That one from the Hettich catalogue looks pretty close to what I need, just not 1000 of them :)
I'll call a few kitchen places tomorrow and see what I can scrounge, I only need a few.

As it happens, there will be a delay anyway as I have to remake the large pantry door -I managed to drill the hinge holes in the wrong spot :-. Just as well I'm not being paid to do this.