PDA

View Full Version : Hot water service

offshoresa65s
29th November 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi

I considered putting this in the Plumbing, ...... forum, but that shows it's some kind of RSS feed or something, so back to My Rural Block forum it is, maybe someone can advise.

At present our rural block and house is being set up for our retirement in less than five years time.

We leave the house unattended for days at a time, but never longer than a fortnight.

We turn all water tanks off and power at meter box off, ie. no power to house.

When we return everything gets switched on in terms of power and water tanks as well.

The house came with a 250l Dux Proflo hot water service. Distributed by Bunnings.

Sometimes the hot water service won't heat up. I then have to go to the purge valve at bottom of Dux Proflo tank, purge some water a few times and then the tank will heat up.

This seems a bit odd to me. I thought that the temperature would be thermostatically controlled.

I don't under stand how purge sometimes rectifies the problem.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

O

rwbuild
29th November 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi

I considered putting this in the Plumbing, ...... forum, but that shows it's some kind of RSS feed or something, so back to My Rural Block forum it is, maybe someone can advise.

At present our rural block and house is being set up for our retirement in less than five years time.

We leave the house unattended for days at a time, but never longer than a fortnight.

We turn all water tanks off and power at meter box off, ie. no power to house.

When we return everything gets switched on in terms of power and water tanks as well.

The house came with a 250l Dux Proflo hot water service. Distributed by Bunnings.

Sometimes the hot water service won't heat up. I then have to go to the purge valve at bottom of Dux Proflo tank, purge some water a few times and then the tank will heat up.

This seems a bit odd to me. I thought that the temperature would be thermostatically controlled.

I don't under stand how purge sometimes rectifies the problem.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

O

Normally, that size HWS is off peak with its own meter. The energy provider sends a signal through the power grid at least 2 times a day which the meter interprets and turns the power on, then after a set period of time, another signal turns it off.

Sounds like you may be arriving at the approximate time that the signal is sent and your actions coincide with that.

If you dont have an off peak meter, I would suggest you get a sparky to check it out

offshoresa65s
9th December 2012, 11:06 AM
Hi

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay for response. Hot water service a little bit hit & miss.

I noticed that the unit threw the fuse switch in the meter box, getting plumber in next week to take a look.

Cheers

O