PDA

View Full Version : Pricing 6"x9" Sanders

barrysumpter
20th October 2001, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone,

As I said before I like to buy the disposable tools before deciding to invest heavily in high quality tools.

We've also discussed GMC. Who are priced as disposable but for some reason have a decent quality.

Timbecom are selling Belt Sanders and Scroll Saws for a very cheap beginners price.

The brand name is Sherwood.

Has anyone compared these with Delta and Carbi-Tec models?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 20 October 2001).]

Iain
20th October 2001, 09:23 AM
I have seen the sherwood range and have concluded it is something of a mixed bag, the 1" belt 5" disc sander would have to be the same as Delta, it looks and feels identical, the scrollsaws lokk to be el cheapo, there was a thicknesser at the show last year that was selling for about $350 and appeared to be of very flimsy construction.
Approach that range of tools with very open eyes, I am sure there are some good products mixed in with the bad. Having said that, what is the warranty like and would you have to freight it to WA to be repaired, anoother major cost which would negate any saving on a locsally purchased product.
I am not canning Timbercon and their range looks good, just a few points to be aware of when a supplier is at a distance and freight is bloody expensive to Perth.

bfilmer
22nd October 2001, 03:22 PM
I have recently purchased the "sherwood" 6x9 belt disk sander from woodstock here in WA and I can say that yes while the build is not as great as say that of an "industrial grade" the item does the job well and for the price that I paid http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif certainly represents good value for money.
Your milage may vary with respect to long lastedness. Further to this I also purchased the craftec 900W router for $69 which is a rebadged GMC or also was know as a Red devil. I use it for handheld and will be used in conjunction with a bigger (mv12) router table mounted in the future. I thought hmm $69.. but 2 year replacement warrenty.. Well guess what. It failed.... but I took it back and got a newer upgraded replacement no questions. More grunt and they fixed all of the design faults of the original. Just thought some background might help with your decision...

John Saxton
22nd October 2001, 08:41 PM
Hi Barry,I have on of these that I have got a bloke interested in as I'm upgrading (but not to Shane's one).

I paid $399.00 about 4 years ago from Forward Tools in Malaga here in W.A. and am letting the bloke have it for $320 but it has 3 incomplete boxes of belts that I bought for it whilst at the Melbourne WW show about 3 years ago.

These are an ideal tool for the small shop and predominately of Taiwanese origin and are good sander with limited problems.

My reason for selling was that I'm upgrading to a rotary drum sander and I do not have the need or the space for two in the workshop.

My 2c worth Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno