PDA

View Full Version : Better than Studley!

stewart59
29th November 2012, 11:27 PM
Now this is cabinetmaking! Have a look at this exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Watch the video of the Rolltop Desk by David Roentgen. Here's the link:

The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Extravagant Inventions (http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2012/roentgen)

Enjoy

dr4g0nfly
30th November 2012, 06:32 AM
That's some roll-top.

Did anyone else notice when the person demonstrating it was opening th draws inside the roll-top, he'd taken his white gloves off! Then back on to shut it up and lock it.

malb
30th November 2012, 06:15 PM
Did anyone else notice when the person demonstrating it was opening th draws inside the roll-top, he'd taken his white gloves off! Then back on to shut it up and lock it.

I did notice that, particularly since you mentioned it before I watched the clip. It appears that the drawer pulls need to be canted to release the individual drawers (i.e another level of locks) and after doing a lot of white glove work metal polishing, I suspect that most people would not be able to execute the release while wearing gloves.

Christos
1st December 2012, 09:02 AM
It is interesting to see the details and the thought that went into making this piece.

yowie
8th December 2012, 02:37 PM
I think the Berlin Seretary blows the rolltop out of the water...