PDA

View Full Version : Some lidded boxes and bowls with finial bling.

tea lady
30th November 2012, 01:33 PM
Some little things I have been working on. I forget who posted them, but someone else had finials with beads in them. So I thought I would try incorporating beeads too. A little tricky cos you have to have holes in the beads big enough to put a long tenon through. I found a local glass blower who makes beads who I will get to make me some specially. These were just from spotlight. The finials themselves are Queen ebony and western myall. Black lids are ebonised tassie oak. Other lids are black walnut, red gum, southern silky oak, northern silky. Bowls are brown Malley burl, maple, southern silky, huon pine, and jarrah.

Mulgabill
30th November 2012, 02:39 PM
I like them a lot AM, nice work with the finials. :2tsup: Do we have another Cindy Drozda?:;

rsser
30th November 2012, 02:51 PM
Great work Anne-Maria.

dai sensei
30th November 2012, 03:08 PM
I like the finials and bead idea :cool:

Don't like the upstand lids though, sorry :-

tea lady
30th November 2012, 04:22 PM
I like the finials and bead idea :cool:

Don't like the upstand lids though, sorry :-:hmm: You mean how the lids are above the body? :C But I like em. :C

orraloon
30th November 2012, 05:02 PM
I like the glass in the finials. It makes them stand out. I cant decide on the high lids as I like the first one in the 3rd pic. Perhaps because it is lower profile than the rest or perhaps it is a closer colour match. Anyhow just my taste.
They do catch the eye and would attract second looks on any stall.
Regards
John

artme
30th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Beautiful TL!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like ém a lot!!:):):)

Allan at Wallan
30th November 2012, 08:22 PM
:hmm: You mean how the lids are above the body? :C But I like em. :C

Hi Anne-Marie,
Interesting results and well done for trying something
a little different.
Can't say that I like the lids, would have liked a little more
work on giving them a sloped side. However, if that
style appeals to you then that's all that matters.

It would be a dull old world if we all had to conform
and not have the opportunity to experiment.

Allan

powderpost
30th November 2012, 09:19 PM
Nice work TL. But........... I would like the lids to be domed a bit more, to match the general profile of the boxes. Hope you don't mind my comments.
Jim

ian thorn
30th November 2012, 09:44 PM
The fine work in making the finials is great and takes a light touch as for the lids beuty is in the eye of the beholder good one for doing somthing different I like them

Regards Ian

tea lady
30th November 2012, 10:01 PM
Nice work TL. But........... I would like the lids to be domed a bit more, to match the general profile of the boxes. Hope you don't mind my comments.
JimThat's what said. :S I guess the lids should kind of follow the profile of the base a bit more.

Thanks for all your comments guys. :cool:

I'm just happy I got something of my own finished. :C

gus3049
1st December 2012, 12:52 AM
Nice work but..... I don't like the beads and I don't like the lids!! Its not the shape exactly but the two sections don't seem to belong together.

The big problem with aesthetic judgement is that its influenced by one's experience, training and exposures. So many people therefore have a different view. I find much of todays 'must haves' badly designed and mostly boring but thats just because I grew up when I did and where I learnt 'design'. After a lifetime's involvement, its a bit hard to change one's patterns although I suspect there are some universal truths that still apply.

None of this should worry you. If you are happy with what you've done thats all that matters, clearly there are those here who like what you've produced and quite right too. I would like to see them done again with no flashy beads and lids that reflect the lovely bases.

There you go. I expect my work to gather similar negatives from some people. I would hate a world where a) we all liked the same things and b) no-one was prepared to state their position.

Keep them coming and keep showing us:)

I should add that I love the finials:rolleyes:

dr4g0nfly
1st December 2012, 08:27 AM
I forget who posted them, but someone else had finials with beads in them. So I thought I would try incorporating beads too.

I think your referring to my posting here, http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/banksia-pod-free-form-wip-160236/.

I glad the idea struck home with someone else. Imitation and flattery as they say,

You've done an excellent job there, some finely formed finials.

tea lady
1st December 2012, 10:32 AM
Nice work but..... I don't like the beads and I don't like the lids!! Its not the shape exactly but the two sections don't seem to belong together.

The big problem with aesthetic judgement is that its influenced by one's experience, training and exposures. So many people therefore have a different view. I find much of todays 'must haves' badly designed and mostly boring but thats just because I grew up when I did and where I learnt 'design'. After a lifetime's involvement, its a bit hard to change one's patterns although I suspect there are some universal truths that still apply.

None of this should worry you. If you are happy with what you've done thats all that matters, clearly there are those here who like what you've produced and quite right too. I would like to see them done again with no flashy beads and lids that reflect the lovely bases.

There you go. I expect my work to gather similar negatives from some people. I would hate a world where a) we all liked the same things and b) no-one was prepared to state their position.

Keep them coming and keep showing us:)

I should add that I love the finials:rolleyes:Well I know these are not kind of "perfect". My forms are still developing. But things don't develop unless you make stuff along the way. So all feedback gratefully accepted. If ya can't tell someone you don't know and who lives on the other side of the world what you think then who can you tell? :U

I think your referring to my posting here, http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/banksia-pod-free-form-wip-160236/.

I glad the idea struck home with someone else. Imitation and flattery as they say,

You've done an excellent job there, some finely formed finials.Ah yes. I love that piece. Although I think your finials are funny shaped. :C:D And crooked. (See what you started Gus. :p ) But I still love it. I like how its a whole sculpture. The little banksia pod has its own home base. Sometimes I feel that fine lidded boxes are a bit lost all by themselves on a shelf. They at least need a doily.:U

ticklingmedusa
1st December 2012, 11:33 AM
Nice :2tsup:

Paul39
1st December 2012, 12:03 PM
Tea Lady,

I think the lids on the large bowls in photos 1 and 3 are just perfect. The lids on the smaller ones may be a bit thick. I think the shapes of the bowls / boxes are wonderful. I love the grain / figure of the lids.

I very much admire the skill it takes to make finials, but I don't like finials.

tea lady
1st December 2012, 12:39 PM
Tea Lady,

I very much admire the skill it takes to make finials, but I don't like finials.Thanks for your comments. My partner doesn't' like finials either. He reckons they are pointless. :rolleyes::D Why not just have a knob? I dunno. I just like making them. Sometimes I don't ask myself questions until I have done it. :U

Paul39
1st December 2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your comments. My partner doesn't' like finials either. He reckons they are pointless. :rolleyes::D Why not just have a knob? I dunno. I just like making them. Sometimes I don't ask myself questions until I have done it. :U

I have a thing for making mushrooms. When I am cutting wood for the stove & boiler, I pull out spalted timber or pieces with interesting figure. I can't stop making them. I took10 of them to my retailer for the big tourist season. Apparently not one sold.

Fortunately I'm retired and turn for entertainment and a little crazy money.

Heilander
1st December 2012, 04:52 PM
Love 'em ! You have those fine finials down to a 'T' ?

gus3049
1st December 2012, 07:01 PM
d. If ya can't tell someone you don't know and who lives on the other side of the world what you think then who can you tell? :U

Absolutely:D:D Mind you, I strongly suspect that this wouldn't be the first time and then much closer to home.

Jonzjob, another ex-pat out here, doesn't like finials whereas I luvem. We have the odd conversation about this subject.,

As you say, we are all developing our skills, I've been turning for about three years so naturally, I know all there is to know. The rest of you will just have to keep learning and trying:rolleyes:

Phil Spencer
1st December 2012, 07:18 PM
I like them TL did you turn them on the Tough?

tea lady
1st December 2012, 11:21 PM
I like them TL did you turn them on the Tough?No I got a little jet. Still haven't got the tough out of the old shed. Been waiting for the ground to dry so I can get in there to pick it up.(Really steep drive. Got bogged once already. :C ) But the little Jet is great for things this size.

tea lady
1st December 2012, 11:23 PM
I have a thing for making mushrooms. When I am cutting wood for the stove & boiler, I pull out spalted timber or pieces with interesting figure. I can't stop making them. I took10 of them to my retailer for the big tourist season. Apparently not one sold.

Fortunately I'm retired and turn for entertainment and a little crazy money.
Ah you just didn't find the right shop. :U

Paul39
2nd December 2012, 10:54 AM
Ah you just didn't find the right shop. :U

This shop has been selling my bowls for three years. Some for 6 times what the smaller mushrooms go for.

All the stuff goes in fits and starts. Last year the slow season sold off 90% the years supply of turnings.

springwater
3rd December 2012, 08:00 PM
You know I'm not a turner...I reckon if you felt what your trying to do more it would come out in what you make better. What is the base/bowl, what is the finial ("what's the point" :D) and what is that bead about. The other way of seeing it is finding what a lot of people are attracted to, mass produce them to the billyo, sell them and live happily ever after from the sales :think: