PDA

View Full Version : Camphor bowl

bassmansimon
2nd December 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is a Christmas present (I'm well organised this year!) for my wife. A Camphor Laurel bowl, roughly 70mm tall and 220mm diameter. Finished with Ubeaut EEE then Shellawax Cream.

I'm still starting out on bowls etc, so this one is the thinnest bowl I have ever turned. The sides are about 6mm? I forgot to measure before I wrapped it up. The base has a foot so that it could be mounted in the lathe, but it actually sits on the rim further out from there, so that it is more stable. I hadn't seen that design before, but it sits quite well.

The blank had a hole all the way through it diagonally, and I'm glad about the way it turned out near the centre at the base.

Comments and some feedback for a newbie very welcome.
Simon.

wheelinround
2nd December 2012, 04:32 PM
Simon looks great like the foot idea I do similar but squarer if that sounds right on larger platters.

Did you use anything to secure the knot CA, epoxy ?

bassmansimon
2nd December 2012, 04:44 PM
Did you use anything to secure the knot CA, epoxy ?

Nope, I just left the void. The hole goes all the way through. I wanted it to look as natural as possible, so I didn't want to use epoxy.
Sorry - photos don't show it very well. I should have placed a white piece of paper under the bowl to show it.

sjm
2nd December 2012, 05:19 PM
Nice one!

Since you're just starting out, a simple way of removing the foot is to tape the bowl onto a large disk. Just screw a bit of scrap MDF onto a faceplate and turn it round. If you really want to, you can even cut a groove to suit the bowl. Personally, I don't - I just tape it on.

spankingpigeon
2nd December 2012, 05:43 PM
i love the look of that bowl the grain and colours are just awsome

ozhunter
2nd December 2012, 09:01 PM
That's a real nice bowl. Should get a few credits in the bank for that one.:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
4th December 2012, 06:38 AM
That is a dramatic grain and figure.

I think you're right to leave the knot out, it makes the whole thing.

I did the same once, most people looked and ignored it, but then one day the right person came along and - well it was a marriage made in heaven, she loved it and paid what I was asking.

bassmansimon
4th December 2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks Dragonfly.

I do enjoy the look of the knot. Hopefully my wife will like it too :)

artme
4th December 2012, 10:19 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: