PDA

View Full Version : first scavage run!! need a bit of help

mat_au
4th December 2012, 01:19 PM
well went out for my sister in-laws birthday last night and on the way there cam across some nice big logs some sore of gum i think so stopped had a bit of a look and well got home last night about 11pm and done a quick kids in bed, kiss the wife ill be back soon. Clean out the back of the car and went for a drive and loaded up the back of the car :D

So this morning went over to the old mans borrowed the chain saw and well been cutting away all morning.

So been watching a few videos on how to do this and i know it will be a bit of trial and error. ive cut the pith out of the middle and cut them in to half's and sliced then on to slabs to use as bowls blanks. After all the cutting looks like ill get about 20-25 bowls sizes from 12" to about 7" so over all a good find :D

so here is my problem ive put them under the car port and stated painting the end grain (going to have a happy wife once she finds the logs look the same color as the house)

so how long will these last like this? the larger ones i cant rough turn will i get my bigger lathe, and the smaller ones well i wont get to for at least a week due to my roster at work so any tips and suggestions would be great on this matter

turnerted
4th December 2012, 04:32 PM
If you wrap them in plastic or put them in a plastic bag it will hold them for a while .Sometimes I will leave logs which have been cut in half, in a garbage bin full of water untill I get round to work on them . This way you can hold them almost indefinatly, just change the water every so often . This is also said to hurry up the drying process when you get round to roughing them out .
Ted

wheelinround
4th December 2012, 04:43 PM
:photo3:

rsser
4th December 2012, 05:01 PM
Haven't found using house paint to seal end-grain worth it. Dedicated sealer or paraffin wax are far better.

You should rough one out when you get the time and see what the turning quality of the timber is like. Grain, voids, saplines etc. Some species of Euc. are a waste of time.

Otherwise +1 to wrapping a few lumps in plakky. Kitchen wrap works too.

mat_au
5th December 2012, 08:11 PM
i hadnet got around to getting any end grain sealer yet was a bit of a rush thing lol