PDA

View Full Version : Old Planes

oges
29th October 2001, 07:05 PM
Hi,
I did a search but couldnt find the thread I was looking for. I remember someone mentioning old box planes or whatever their proper names are on the BB once. I was wasting some time at The Entrance, NSW Central Coast today and was passing an antique/junk shop and they had a lot of old tools including these planes. They were much like a normal plane except the casing was made out a wooden rectangular box.

Anyway if that person is still here and this is the type of plane they meant I could have look at the planes for them, being an antique shop they will most likely want some ridiculous price.

Brett

Iain
30th October 2001, 06:25 AM
Brett, can't help you with pricing but I saw the same things at the Toukley flea market held on Sundays outside Coles supermarket, may be cheaper and the bloke looked like a regular, for memory he was Asian and had a lot of old gear and new fishing rods.

John Saxton
1st November 2001, 08:18 PM
Hi Brett, whilst your intentions are no doubt honourable, it is with some misgiving for anyone to buy unseen unless the intermediary has full knowledge in what the purchaser wants in terms of antiquities.

This in no way detracts from your abilities to judge the quality of the item/s.

I mention this because I know personally I would like to be able to see,feel and judge for myself the quality of the item.

There are collectors out there that use intermediary that recognise not only brand names but manufacturers stamps and know reproduction when they see it.I don't put myself in this category but would use one if I could not be present and only on the basis that it merited such attention.

I applaud your generosity,I also hope you are not put to a dilemma.People can be nasty if they find they haven't got what they want.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

oges
1st November 2001, 08:24 PM
point taken, i would be the same myself ....