PDA

View Full Version : Lever locking pliers - slide hammer adapter

nearnexus
7th December 2012, 05:07 PM
I saw a mention in an earlier thread somewhere of a slide hammer fitting that could be purchased for locking pliers.

So I thought, good idea, looks simple, I will make my own.

It is a simple job, and you can see the end result in the attached photo.

The shaft is threaded 7/16 BSW for the pliers, the slide hammer is a lump of scrap moly steel, and a roll pin keeps it all together as a unit.

So I then get out my OTHER, better set of locking pliers, and ### the thread is different - this one has 7/16 18 TPI BSF.

Sheeesh. Grit teeth, say suitable blessing to Taiwanese design engineers, and resign myself to making an adapter.

So a nice little project for a handy gadget, but it's anyones guess what thread your pliers will have.

I may bronze a nut onto the slide rod end to fit a spanner - to help screw it into the pliers, although it's hardly necessary.

You can see the difference in threads in the photo.

Cheers

Rob

Stustoys
7th December 2012, 11:10 PM
Nice one Rob.

I'd say I'd make one but I wont... not until I need it and then I'll be swearing at myself for not making it sooner

One thing I like to add to vice grips is a longer bolt and a lock nut.

Stuart

nearnexus
8th December 2012, 08:00 AM
Nice one Rob.

One thing I like to add to vice grips is a longer bolt and a lock nut.

Stuart

Good idea Stuart, I might look into that.

I see you can also get a slide hamer adapter which fits over the knurled knob on the end of the bolt, but only if the thread is screwed out a bit - which is a bit restrictive for then pulling small stuff.

Once again a longer bolt would help.

Cheers

Rob