PDA

View Full Version : Timber Suggestions

smidsy
7th April 2005, 11:43 PM
Hei Guys,
I want to make a pen for someone who is not really a friend but has helped me a heck of a lot - I plan on going the whole hog with a presentation case and all.
I've used Jarrah, Pine and Marri quite successfully but I want this to be special - anyone got any suggestions on timber.
Cheers
Paul

DanP
8th April 2005, 12:02 AM
Paul,

Black Palm comes up really well and is one of my recent favourites. Keep your tools sharp though it tears out badly if not sharp. Other than that, some of the burl timbers can look really good too.

Dan

Dean
8th April 2005, 12:35 AM
goldfield's burl is really nice if you get a nice lump.
You can buy that in those pre-drilled packs from carbatec and carrolls etc... but the grain can range from very boring to very nice I found.

KristianH
8th April 2005, 10:31 AM
If you have the money may I suggest:
bloodwood
blackwood
ebony
bois de rose
pink ivory
rosewood
purpleheart
walnut
bird's eye maple

macca2
8th April 2005, 12:06 PM
Paul, Have look at page 200 of your carbatec catalogue. Large variety of timber blanks, and some very interesting acrylic blanks.
I have also turned offcuts of Corian, which comes up real nice.

Macca

Ross
8th April 2005, 03:21 PM
Paul

Depends which style of pen are you planning?

Ross

Turner Corner
9th April 2005, 09:43 AM
Hey Paul,
I have been getting the best response from Eucalyptus Burl - really swirly and interesting grain patterns. I have recently come across some Hairy Oak from a place near Gladstone (I think the "proper" name is Flame Sheoak). These pens look fantastic and people seem to appreciate the grain.
PM me if you are interested in some - I will get a couple over to you.
Mark.

rsser
9th April 2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, if you want it to be out of wood, a strong figure like a burl along with a fine grain is the way to go. I like NSW red mallee burl myself.

The snythetics can come up really well too. They turn v. like wood.

gatiep
9th April 2005, 10:19 PM
Hey Paul,

How about a corn cob pen.....................definately different!

PAH1
11th April 2005, 09:46 AM
Hey Paul,
I have been getting the best response from Eucalyptus Burl - really swirly and interesting grain patterns. I have recently come across some Hairy Oak from a place near Gladstone (I think the "proper" name is Flame Sheoak). These pens look fantastic and people seem to appreciate the grain.
PM me if you are interested in some - I will get a couple over to you.
Mark.

Hairy Oak is not flame she oak, flame is a grain pattern not a separate species. Hairy Oak is Allocasuarina inophloia . Purpleheart makes a damn nice pen, as does just about all of the she oak species.