PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Mortice

Redback
8th April 2005, 12:20 PM
Ive seen those bits that go into a drill press that cut square holes.

I've also seen a morticing kit that attaches to the Drill Press.

Is the morticing kit attachment essential? I think Ive seen examples where only the morticing drill bit was used.

Whats the advantage and does anyone recommend getting such a thing.

I was just going to use a forstner bit and then clean the edges with a chisel, but this looks time saving.

RB

Wood Borer
8th April 2005, 12:40 PM
I understand they are good if you don't go for the dirt cheap ones but that applies to most tools I suppose.

I haven't got one but I am a hobbyist and I don't seem to waste too much time using a router and hand chisels or just chisels.

If you make heaps of mortise and tenon joints then perhaps they would be worth considering. If the reason you are thinking about buying one is because you have problems making mortise and tenon joints using other methods then a good option might be to improve your skills using the other methods and spend your money on a tool that performs work not possible with your existing tools.

silentC
8th April 2005, 12:55 PM
Is the morticing kit attachment essential? I think Ive seen examples where only the morticing drill bit was used.
It is essential because whilst the drill bit in the middle spins around, the square chisel on the outside must stay still and it's the attachment that holds it.

I've got one but don't use it because I prefer the router and Rocker's morticing jig. The main problems with the drill press attachments are that they are fiddly to set up and the hold down arrangements are not very satisfactory. You need something quite strong to hold the peice down on the table so that it doesn't lift when you raise the bit out of the mortice. Some people have had success using an xy vice.

Do a search on chisel mortiser, there's heaps of info here on how to set up and use them.

Stubchain
8th April 2005, 02:14 PM
I have just purchased a mortise machine (Delta) and also set up a tenon jig on the table saw. I am very pleased with the results, the joints are perfect and very square. I'm currently making a baby cradle that has over 70 M&T joints, I decided that a dedicated machine was the way to go for me. Next project is a baby change table that will have a few as well. The machine makes life a little bit easier, well it does for me.

beejay1
8th April 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi redback.
A drill press mortise attachement will do a job for you but fitting and removing the thing is a very fiddly job and one that I think you would get fed up doing on a regular basis. Advantage is of course that its cheaper than a dedicated machine.
With a dedicated mortiser you should be aware that most if not all budget machines will come with a 3/4" chisel bush which tends to limit the choice of replacement chisels to the cheaper end of the market. High quality chisels are more likely to be available only in 13/16" fitting to fit the higher end and trade machines.
It is possible however to get an adapter that will allow the use of 13/16" in 3/4"" machines,,its just a case of finding a source over there. Check with the retailer which fitting it has before you buy.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Rocker
8th April 2005, 06:09 PM
I find it hard to see how the ordinary hobbyist like myself, who might make ten pieces of furniture a year, can justify getting a dedicated morticer, which seems to me to be a machine that only a production furnituremaker should buy. I easily completed the 24 mortices and tenons for the web-frames of my latest cabinet with my home made morticing and tenoning jigs in a day to a high standard of accuracy. If I had had a morticer, I might perhaps have saved half an hour, but I would probably have had to spend that half hour later on tuning the machine and sharpening its chisels.

Rocker

GeoffS
8th April 2005, 10:31 PM
I make a lot of use of mine but I do have a cross feed vice under it. If I'd had to buy the vice the total price would have almost equalled a dedicated machine, however I already had the vice. Without the vice I would regard the device as useless. The same comment would apply to the dedicated machines that don't have a cross feed vice.
If you do a lot of M & T joints they are great. The router methods are OK however having to square the ends of the mortise (or round the tenons) is a nuisance. The other 2 major complaints I have with using the router are (1) the noise and (2) the mess. I have never found a satisfactory method of chip collection with the router being used freehand. At least with the drill press the mess is all in one spot!
In all my joinery and (so called) cabinet making I use M & T joints so I do give it a lot of use and I thus have a lot of practice at installing it. I can well imagine installing it would be a nuisance if you didn't use it frequently.
I like it but it is not for everybody -
Cheers

Jemoge
8th April 2005, 11:23 PM
The Vertiacc has been mentioned in the past,as a drill press attachment for drilling holes in any angle and will perform lots of other tasks,including a mortising attachment which can be set for multiple mortises by the setting of ajustable stops,In the next few weeks a 5min video will be added to the site to show what the Vertiacc is capable of.

This is not an advertisment but a serious attempt to give feedback.

www.vertiacc.com (http://www.vertiacc.com)

Jemoge