PDA

View Full Version : Olive bowls

turnerted
9th December 2012, 05:15 PM
G'day
Here's three olive bowls Iv'e just finished off which came out of the olive stump I scored about a year ago .I have been pushing these along so I can include them in our club sale which starts in just over a week . The first two are about 230mmx70mm and the third is 160mmx40mm . The finish is DO. Hope you like.
Ted244090244091244089244092244093244094

turnerted
9th December 2012, 05:20 PM
For some reason the pictures got mixed up, so in the first four pictures,the pairs are above and below one another . for the third bowl, they are side by side.
Ted

artme
9th December 2012, 05:29 PM
Yum!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A Duke
9th December 2012, 05:36 PM
For some reason the pictures got mixed up, so in the first four pictures,the pairs are above and below one another . for the third bowl, they are side by side.
TedI think it depends on the size of your screen. I get 5 in the top row and 1 on the second row.
Nice job anyway and thanks for sharing.
Regards

wheelinround
9th December 2012, 06:19 PM
Ted very nice Olive has a real nice scent when turned.

Will the sale be on at the old Fire Station and when?? We could do with a drive and your fellows always put some excellent things out there. Besides Fish n Chip down the harbour is the other draw card.:;

mick59wests
9th December 2012, 08:08 PM
excellent bowls. I'll have to try and keep my eyes out for some olive. What woodturning group are you part of?

cheers

Mick

turnerted
10th December 2012, 04:27 PM
Ray. Yes our sale is at the old firestation in Kiama starting 18/12 pm and finishing on 24/12 afternoon .
Mick. I am a member Kiama Woodcraft Group and Bankstown branch of Sydney Woodturners.
Ted

smiife
10th December 2012, 07:44 PM
hi ted ,
well done ,they look great,i would love to get some olive but have
never seen any around did you buy it or grow it????????
nice bowls by the way:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Jonzjob
10th December 2012, 07:53 PM
As well as te vines there's loads od olive tree around here, but getting hold of any is a different matter :C I managed to get some last year that had just been pruned, but it is all small stuff.

Those bowls are delightful and a nice change to the ones that French turners seem to chuck out. They are normally thick and heavy. Most of the ones I've seen look very clumsy.

Christos
11th December 2012, 08:17 AM
Now that is encouraging. Much to see in the grain of this tree.

turnerted
11th December 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Smiife . The property owner next door had the tree cut down when he was preparing the place for sale .I have about 30 roughed out bowls drying from this. I now also have a large olive rootball that the new owner dug out of the back yard .
Ted

Toymaker Len
11th December 2012, 05:20 PM
We found an old olive orchard in Maclarenvale S.A. that had been pushed over to make way for pasture a couple of years ago. I got a trailer load of this wonderful wood. Smells just like kallamatta olives when worked. It amazes me that someone would cut down an olive to "improve" a property.