PDA

View Full Version : Dust Masks

Ron
12th November 2000, 08:48 PM
I've bought the lathe, basic tools, lessons and safety gear.
Unfortunately, as a spectacle wearer for close in work, I have found that wearing both mask and glasses results in fogged glasses.
Very difficult turning something you can't see.
After turning just a few small practice pieces today, I found that the alternative(no mask) isn't a good idea so would value some input from others who may have had the same problem.
Thanks

Iain
12th November 2000, 09:27 PM
I have a friend in the optical business who sells defogging 'stuff'. It was secret for years but I found out that it was just liquid soap rubbed on the glass and then buffed off. Works like a charm for a day or two then do it again. Washing up liquid will do the job and you don't need much. Failing that try a respirator which ventilates at the sides which should fix the problem. Sounds like you are using a paper mask.
Also try the soap on the bathroom mirror, saves a lot of cuts while shaving.

jamesy
13th November 2000, 08:43 PM
If your spectacles are fogging then it means that the seal of your mask is not satisfactory. If you're using disposables, purchase good quality charcoal filled ones with a valve on the front and metal pinch cleat at the nose bridge, otherwise, keep playing with your mask until the seal is right. I'm in the same situation as yourself.

Wish I could afford a ventilated face shield!!!!

------------------