PDA

View Full Version : AUCTION (Sat 9th) Ex Carbatec Melbourne

Rebus
8th April 2005, 04:57 PM
Greetings,

I have no connection with Carbatec (apart from having been an occasional - OK frequent :D - customer in the past) and I offer no comment on the recent events.

I was out in Bayswater this morning and I thought I would drop into the ex Carbatec store to find out what was happening.

The store is open and trading as Gustec - Tools for wood.

They are holding an auction tomorrow, Saturday 9th of April. Viewing starts at 9:00 and the auction at 12:00 noon. $20.00 cash registration fee (I assume refundable) and accepting "cash, cheque or EFTPOS".

I checked out the lots they had on display and they included:
Small Tools, Bandsaws, Vicmarc 175 lathe (drool), Dust collector fittings, Dust Collectors, Drill Presses, Squares, Vises, Holesaws, White wheels (grinding), Clamps, Sanders etc. and a lot more that I didn't note.

I would assume that they have reserves on the lots but there may well be some bargains to be had !

Not all the stock is up for auction - just the excess to clear the way for new suppliers stock.

I remarked that they hadn't yet put the lot numbers on the Festool range :eek: and they laughed.

Regards,

Gumby
8th April 2005, 05:18 PM
Ive been out there too. Looks like all the Carb-Tec stuff is going, plus some bits 'n pieces. My experience with these types of auctions is that you get a whole lot of people looking for a bargain, coupled with the thrill of the auction and the feeding frenzy type atmosphere results in the stock going for almost normal retail anyway. Migth be worth a look but there seems to be only one of each item so I wouldn't expect to get carried away thinking you are going to get anything really cheap.
There were a lot of people there today too.

Sturdee
8th April 2005, 06:08 PM
I was there this morning as well. Must have missed you guys. I agree that the auction is not a sell out of stock but sale of surplus, slow moving items.

In fact the place seemed better organised than has been for a long time.

Peter.

Gaza
8th April 2005, 08:40 PM
Just rember, Auction means no return's policy and then ADD Buyers / auction fee plus GST. to hammer price

Beware

Shavings
8th April 2005, 11:02 PM
Last auction price included GST and there was no buyers premium, so price on hammer fall was the price you paid.
There where a few bargains but also quite a bit that went at almost catalogue value. Handy to have a current price catalogue with you on inspection to determine value.

Gumby
9th April 2005, 03:24 PM
Well, as expected, there wasn't much cheap stuff available, unless you were at the top end of the price range.

Some examples:

1HP Dust extractors (Carba-tec) $230

Kity 419 saw bench (8") $800 (I kid you not!)

SW 1401 Bandsaw $400

SBW 3501BCE Bandsaw $700

SBW 3502DI Bandsaw $600 (with fence)

CT 2042 Dust Extractor $$425

CT 2401-S Dust Extractor (1HP) $300

Scheppach SCH-BASA T03 Band saw $500

A Small brad nailer $130 (the same as SuperCheap Auto sells for $99 with a stapler, bag and lots of spare brads ) UNBELIEVABLE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Some people had absolutely no idea what they were doing and as I expected, got caught up in it all. :rolleyes:

ozwinner
9th April 2005, 07:05 PM
Some people had absolutely no idea what they were doing and as I expected, got caught up in it all. :rolleyes:

So what you buy?? Come on fess up!!

Al :D

Gumby
9th April 2005, 09:08 PM
:D I came out empty handed Al, not like customers in your olde shoppe :D

echnidna
9th April 2005, 09:43 PM
Always lotsa wildlife at auctions
Plenty of woodducks

Gumby
9th April 2005, 10:14 PM
Always lotsa wildlife at auctions
Plenty of woodducks

*QUACK* :D

Iain
10th April 2005, 09:17 AM
*QUACK* :D
Was that a confession??? :D

ozwinner
10th April 2005, 09:40 AM
:D I came out empty handed Al, not like customers in your olde shoppe :D
Problem is, some of it goes out without being payed for.:mad:
We have almost stopped shoplifting by rearrangeing the counters, putting a camera on the back gate etc.
But Im sure we will never ever stop it.

Al :(

Gumby
10th April 2005, 10:01 AM
Was that a confession??? :D

No, only kiddin' :D

Al,
My son used to work part time at Bunnings (when he was at school) and said that their theft rate is huge. He now manages a clothing store and caught a woman (around 50 years old he thought) pinching a cap ! She just put it on and walked out. he went after her, told her politely that she is supposed to pay for it and he saw her put it on in the shop. She insisted that she had brought it in with her, having purchased it the week before, which she hadn't. There was nothing he could do since she had left the shop. He couldn't belive that somebody that age would even bother ! :rolleyes:

ozwinner
10th April 2005, 10:21 AM
I kicked an old man in his 60's out of the shop last month.

My wife caught him putting hand fulls of screw into his pocket weeks earlier, she couldnt do much about it being there on her own, but she wrote down his rego number.

When he came in again she told me to check his rego to make sure its the same bloke, mainly because all you bald old men look the same......:D

Anyway, the old dude nearly had a heart attack when I told him he wasnt welcome in the shop anymore, he went even paler when his missus started asking why he was being kicked out, and banned from the shop.

I didnt even swear at him, which was a total supprise, even to me!! :eek:

I saw another bloke last week, sticking something into the lining of his jacket, it was hot day and he had a jacket on, dead give away for a shoplifter.
Anyway I hovvered around at the front door, the ony way out was past me.
He was bricks, you could just see it, he eventualy left after hidding out the back somewhere, and handed the item to me on the way out.

echnidna
10th April 2005, 04:15 PM
No, only kiddin' :D

Al,
My son used to work part time at Bunnings (when he was at school) and said that their theft rate is huge. He now manages a clothing store and caught a woman (around 50 years old he thought) pinching a cap ! She just put it on and walked out. he went after her, told her politely that she is supposed to pay for it and he saw her put it on in the shop. She insisted that she had brought it in with her, having purchased it the week before, which she hadn't. There was nothing he could do since she had left the shop. He couldn't belive that somebody that age would even bother ! :rolleyes:

If he was absolutely certain she had pinched it he should have said the security cameras will prove it. Then watched her reaction to that statement.

bitingmidge
10th April 2005, 04:33 PM
If he was absolutely certain she had pinched it he should have said the security cameras will prove it. Then watched her reaction to that statement.

Sadly more abuse is usually the result!!

In one food establishment I owned we lost 400 of each, cups, saucers and plates in a little over a year.. they were real good Chinese China too... cost us not much more than disposable ones.

A friend who ran a reasonably upmarket coffee shop, spent on average $3,000 per year replacing cutlery.

But I still can't figure how they got away with two tables and eight chairs from one of our shops over the course of a year!!!

It's a pretty sad reflection on our fellow man I think, when they think that a $2.00 cup of coffee has enough margin in it to give them a full dining setting as well as the cutlery!

Without exception, when caught in the act, no matter how discretely the matter is raised, this particular species reacts with abuse and violence (verbal or otherwise!). What DO they watch on tele???

Cheers,

P (Still smiling though!)
:D

Marc
10th April 2005, 05:01 PM
Shoplifting in Hardware house was high to a point that a casual shopper like me could observer it happening almost every time even before entering, they had separate automatic doors for in and out, and all the thief had to do was wait for someone to enter and run for it. The last time I remember an middle aged lady run out with what looked like a grill for an oven probably worth $10. Sad really.
Today Bunnings has a couple of guys at the door asking to check for the docket and you can hear calls for security to check for camera one or two or whatever, almost every 10 minutes or so.
Another sad reflection of a "something for nothing" mentality can be seen at the return counters where people line up returning damaged good with some elaborate story, to obtain a refund or exchange on an item that was obviously used and abused.
PS
What happened to Carbatec, are they broke? Is Carbatec a franchise or a single company?

Rosethorn
10th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Carba-tec Brisbane is the main store and the others are franchises.
-Rosethorn

ozwinner
10th April 2005, 08:11 PM
What DO they watch on tele???
Probably them Subway adds that sent them over the top.....

vsquizz
10th April 2005, 10:06 PM
By the sandfly: It's a pretty sad reflection on our fellow man I think, when they think that a $2.00 cup of coffee has enough margin in it to give them a full dining setting as well as the cutlery!
I'm currently running behind time building a limestone wall and doing pad works for a child care centre north of Perth. Because we are under the pump and I have to go south this week to start the next one I worked the team on saturday to try and get the wall finished.

Got a flat on the Bobcat mid morning and needed to chuck the spare on...Guess what, some knucklehead stole the wheel spanner and pinched all the valve caps. I LOST THREE HOURS with a team of blokes standing around doing diddly squat while I roared around trying to find a socket or wheel spanner to fit a Cat Bobcat:mad: Not happy Jan.

The spanner was the only thing on the machine not bolted or welded in place.

A neighbour later told me he saw some kids playing on the machine when we weren't on site for a few hours. So now I'm going to load the machine on the truck every night and take it 1.5 hours each way per day. The customers will end up paying for my time. All because of scumbags raised by the current (I include my) generation.

Not happy tonight.

bitingmidge
10th April 2005, 10:35 PM
So now we're talking about flogging stuff, instead of that other thread that's been done to death...

Building sites are sooooo easy that theft from the almost isn't worth raising,

But my three personal bests are:

A whole house stolen (removed and relocated 300k's away). The best bit about that was that we didn't find out till the tenant got back from holidays and rang to find out where her house was!!!

The contents of two houses near completion removed, that is kitchens bathroom fittings, light and switches. Done over a long weekend by guys with guard dogs and vans signwritten like security guys.

All the wiring (that is ALL the wiring) removed from a pre-school centre frame over a weekend. I can only assume some desperate wanted to melt it down and make a set of copper cookware for his mum.

Sorry you've had a bad time of it Squizz,,, don't know if my misadventures will cheer you up or not..but I recovered from them all eventually!!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

vsquizz
11th April 2005, 10:41 PM
I'm still laughing about the house but fuming about the lost time. Yeah I know we are off track but I don't think its the first time??.

Lost a house ROFL...

So next time your contractor turns up late have a heart, it may not be all his fault.

Cheers

Iain
11th April 2005, 10:47 PM
The classic theft, I thought, was the 15 ton copper boiler from Pentridge in the early 70's.
It was a few weeks before anyone realised it was gone :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
11th April 2005, 11:13 PM
Some blokes knocked off a few hundred yards of paving from a footpath in Freemantle when the America's Cup construction stuff was happening too.

Just rolled up with fluoro singlets and a truck, and kept loading pallets till they had enough!

Cheers,

P

Sturdee
11th April 2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah I know we are off track but I don't think its the first time??.

Who cares if it is off topic, the auction has been and gone and the posts are interesting.

Peter.

johnmc
12th April 2005, 11:31 AM
Walked up the stairs to work yesterday morning and noticed a trail of dirt. Someone overnight had pinched a cycad from the recently re-landscaped garden. Nothing else just a single plant !

PAH1
12th April 2005, 12:14 PM
Walked up the stairs to work yesterday morning and noticed a trail of dirt. Someone overnight had pinched a cycad from the recently re-landscaped garden. Nothing else just a single plant !

Cycads are collectors items and can be very valuable, tree ferns can be as well although not in the same league as cycads.

It also pays to watch your staff, a while ago a large ag firm bought a cotton farm and eventually decided to fire the manager. They gave him 3 months notice, after he left things started appearing, aircraft (plural), a helicopter, some rather large earthmoving equipment. Several million dollars were spent without anybody flaging it as wierd, the manager did not steal a cent as all the goods were delivered to the farm and not him.

NidekFurniture
13th April 2005, 12:03 AM
I kicked an old man in his 60's out of the shop last month.

Thats why i dont trust anyone, doesn't matter how old you are, there are too many pricks out there!