PDA

View Full Version : looking for Yosegi Zaiku veneer

GulfcoastGuy
11th December 2012, 12:37 AM
Does anyone know of a source for veneer sheets of Japanese Yosegi Zaiku? I'm considering trying my hand at some puzzle boxes and I'd like to veneer them in authentic traditional patterns.

http://www.asianartmall.com/about/yosegi/full-yosegi-1.jpg

GCG

AlexS
12th December 2012, 07:46 AM
I can't give a name, but there is a large shop in Hakone, with a workshop below it, that may be able to help you. I'll chase around on Google Maps later and see if I can find the address for you.

artme
13th December 2012, 01:35 PM
I have a small notebook with that on the cover. It was given to me by a Japanese
exchange student some years ago.

That of course is no use to you!:no:

GulfcoastGuy
13th December 2012, 02:32 PM
I can't give a name, but there is a large shop in Hakone, with a workshop below it, that may be able to help you. I'll chase around on Google Maps later and see if I can find the address for you.

Thanks, and an e-mail address would help since I'm way over the big blue.

I have a small notebook with that on the cover. It was given to me by a Japanese
exchange student some years ago.

That of course is no use to you!:no:

The guys that make these seem to keep their work close, but you'd think there should be somewhere you could get your hands on it.

Thanks guys for the responses.

GCG

GulfcoastGuy
15th December 2012, 04:29 AM

Is this the place?

IZUMIYA - Hakone Yosegi Zaiku - Himitsu Bako - Japanese Secret Trick Puzzle Box - ONLINE SHOP (http://www.yosegi.net/)

If so thanks for the lead. I sent them an e-mail request.

GCG

AlexS
27th December 2012, 07:17 PM
GulfcoastGuy, that's not the place I was thinking of, but it's just up the road and would probably be able to help. My daughter bought a magnificent marquetry dragon from that place.

GulfcoastGuy
28th December 2012, 01:38 AM
They don't sell just the veneer sheets so that's a bust. If you have anything else it'd be appreciated.

GCG