PDA

View Full Version : Planes for beginners

Chris S
7th November 2001, 01:18 AM
Hi,
Recently started on woodworking and the tool box is light at the moment. I need to get a plane next so I can actually get down to building things.
I'm probably looking at second-hand due to a tight budget. Does anyone have any useful pointers on whether Stanley or Record are generally the better buys, and any good sources for reasonably-priced second hand tools in Perth? I've also heard that the later Stanley planes are not good quality - does that apply to all of them, or just to the "Handyman" range?
Thanks, and hope I'm not asking really dopey questions.

Chris

Sandy Johnston
7th November 2001, 07:51 AM
Hello Chris,

Don't worry about brand when starting out buy the best you can afford. Shure a $75 plane may last long enough to pass on to your grandchildren but you could get something to get you underway for far less. Check out the weekend markets and classified - look at auctions , deceased estates etc.

Good luck and happy hunting
Sandy across the ditch

John Saxton
7th November 2001, 09:02 PM
How do Chris,There are some good places around Perth to check out for planes one of my favourites is Jack Lissamans in Gosnells.
The shop is full of second hand tools and he often advertises in the Sunday Times.
Bills Machinery in Gnangara is also another choice or Browns Machinery on Great Eastern Hwy.
Also check out the numerous second hand stores.
When buying second-hand check for a level sole,clean blade(minimal chipping on the edge of the blade),clean mating face of the frog and cap iron but most of all use your eyes to see if the price asked is justified against a 'new' model price.
I have bought a few good planes off of Lissamans and found them great to deal with.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno