PDA

View Full Version : Remove bolt with hole from chair

Shona1
12th December 2012, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm restoring some old dining chairs and the bottom cushion has come off easy with some bracket unscrewing but the back is not so simple to figure out! Underneath the cushion/back is a bolt with a hole in it reaching into the chair frame and across the bottom of the cushion. I can't remove the backing without removing this bolt but it's proving impossible to remove with any of my knowledge. I've tried all the tools I can to slide it out - any ideas?

Stuck!!
Shona

NCArcher
12th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Try placing a screwdriver or nail through the hole, as a handle, and screwing the 'bolt' out.

Shona1
13th December 2012, 11:27 AM
Try placing a screwdriver or nail through the hole, as a handle, and screwing the 'bolt' out.

Hi NCArcher,

Thanks for your fast reply. I've tried this but it doesn't screw out no matter how hard I try - the thing won't budge. I've also tried the obvious putting a screwdriver into the hole and then using a hammer to bang it out but it still doesn't budge. I'm wondering if there is a bolt on the other side of it inside the wood? I know that doesn't make much sense but it just won't come out.

mic-d
13th December 2012, 12:36 PM
Is there a plug on the other side of the bolt? Or there may be a slot on the edge that maybe hidden by that board.

Shona1
13th December 2012, 12:40 PM
Is there a plug on the other side of the bolt? Or there may be a slot on the edge that maybe hidden by that board.

Hi Mic,

Unfortunately the other side of the bolt is completely clean. There is no way to get to it except the part coming out in this photo...

mic-d
13th December 2012, 12:44 PM
Hi Mic,

Unfortunately the other side of the bolt is completely clean. There is no way to get to it except the part coming out in this photo...

But there may be a slot under the board attached to the edge.

Cheers
Michael

Shona1
13th December 2012, 12:49 PM
But there may be a slot under the board attached to the edge.

Hi Michael,

Here's a photo of the other side of that bolt. I can't really see any way for it to come out but sliding from the first photo's angle. Can you?

Shona1
13th December 2012, 12:51 PM
P.s. Here's a photo of the full chair for reference.

mic-d
13th December 2012, 12:58 PM
There's a board in that first photo that isn't in the latest shot, which I thought might hide a slot in which a nut would be dropped. Obviously not there in the second photo... No ideas. If there is no plug in any side at the level of the pin then it must have been pressed in.

Shona1
13th December 2012, 01:03 PM
There's a board in that first photo that isn't in the latest shot, which I thought might hide a slot in which a nut would be dropped. Obviously not there in the second photo... No ideas. If there is no plug in any side at the level of the pin then it must have been pressed in.

Oh I see. Yes, sorry Michael, I didn't think of that. The photo was taken on a bench so the board you see is the bench. Sorry...

enelef
13th December 2012, 01:15 PM
With the information so far, it must be either glued in or a bolt.

I would lean towards it being a bolt because of the hole through it and being removable would enable changing the fabric.

Don't forget to try turning it both ways?

Shona1
13th December 2012, 01:55 PM
With the information so far, it must be either glued in or a bolt.

I would lean towards it being a bolt because of the hole through it and being removable would enable changing the fabric.

Don't forget to try turning it both ways?

Thanks enelef,

I can get an allen key in there and turn it but once I turn the hole to the side I then can't turn any further because the hole is hidden into the fabric, I've tried using needlenose pliers to spin it from the end but they won't spin it the full way around in either direction.

enelef
13th December 2012, 02:03 PM
in the words of the wise - hmmm bugger.

There must be a way to get it out - but from Melb it escapes me.:~

Shona1
13th December 2012, 02:09 PM
Bugger exactly. I've just given up and belted the hell out of it with a hammer and the backing loosened up enough for me to get in there and pull the bolt out (no screw, no glue!) THAT worked! Not exactly convenient since now I've ruined one side of the chair which defeats the purpose of restoring them in the first place. Just tried doing the same thing to the bolt on the other side though and no matter how much I belt the back and loosen it this bolt isn't coming out. Bugger...

enelef
13th December 2012, 02:23 PM
Could try sticking a scewdriver in the hole and tapping that outwards with the hammer to remove the pin then - may work

Shona1
13th December 2012, 02:24 PM
Could try sticking a scewdriver in the hole and tapping that outwards with the hammer to remove the pin then - may work

Yep - see my 1st comment. Tried that :-S

"Hi NCArcher,

Thanks for your fast reply. I've tried this but it doesn't screw out no matter how hard I try - the thing won't budge. I've also tried the obvious putting a screwdriver into the hole and then using a hammer to bang it out but it still doesn't budge. I'm wondering if there is a bolt on the other side of it inside the wood? I know that doesn't make much sense but it just won't come out."

enelef
13th December 2012, 02:29 PM
yes - but now you *know* it is not a threaded device - back then you were guessing. And you're pretty sure the rest are only held by friction and old wood.
You can apply a bit more force this time

Shona1
13th December 2012, 02:33 PM
yes - but now you *know* it is not a threaded device - back then you were guessing. And you're pretty sure the rest are only held by friction and old wood.
You can apply a bit more force this time

I see what you mean. I'm doing it right now but still nothing unless I really hammer it up well first. I'm thinking I might just have to do that to all of them. The annoying thing about the screwdriver-and-hammer method is that anything small enough to fit into the bolt's hole is thin so the things end up snapping.

enelef
13th December 2012, 02:35 PM
Could use a BAMF flat tip screwdriver. Put the tip in and tap the handle end to apply direct force to pop it out

Shona1
13th December 2012, 02:46 PM
Could use a BAMF flat tip screwdriver. Put the tip in and tap the handle end to apply direct force to pop it out

Thanks enelef. I'm working with everything I have and I think a variety of bashing, pulling, leveraging and breaking is doing it. Not exactly how I wanted this to pan out but it's happening!! lol.
Thanks everyone for your help :U

Kiwi Bloke
26th April 2016, 08:03 AM
Im finding this problem fascinating. At first, I was thinking a Lag type bolt,, however I should have been able to be unscrewed. or... Could it be, that the timber that it is in, has been laminated over the bolts head, after the bolt was placed into the hole. I can understand the frustration your having. I will watch this with interest. Best wishes.

joe greiner
26th April 2016, 03:26 PM
Im finding this problem fascinating. At first, I was thinking a Lag type bolt,, however I should have been able to be unscrewed. or... Could it be, that the timber that it is in, has been laminated over the bolts head, after the bolt was placed into the hole. I can understand the frustration your having. I will watch this with interest. Best wishes.

After 3 1/2 years, he's probably given up.

But if not, and for anyone else, I'd note that he was able to wiggle it round each way with an Allen key. I'd consider a few cycles of heating and cooling with a heat gun and ice to break the purchase, then with the Allen key replaced in the hole, place a block at the side rail and pry against the leg of the Allen key to pull the "bolt" out of the rail.

It was probably assembled by the inverse of this process.

How did you find this thread in the first place?:?

Cheers,
Joe