PDA

View Full Version : Teacher

keppar
9th April 2005, 10:49 AM
Hi All. I am in need of some one to teach me the art of wood turning. Have read a lot ,bought some videos and listened to all your advise. My progress is very slow ,so I thought some personal teaching would suit. I live in Albury area ,but will travel to Melbourne if nessesary ,If you could supply me with some contacts I would be gratefull

rsser
9th April 2005, 12:57 PM
Hi Keppar,
I've learned from Andrew Potocnik here in Melbourne and got a lot out of it.

He publishes in AWR, and you can do a google to see some of his work on the web. A lot of what you'll see is creative turning and other woodwork, but he's a qualified teacher and will help you progress regardless of your starting point.

smidsy
9th April 2005, 03:00 PM
Have you thought about finding a wood turning club in your area - aside from the teaching aspect, you can learn so much just from watching others work.
Cheers
Paul

keppar
10th April 2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Rang Andrew and he said he no longer teaches classes Other contacts would be nice

Groggy
10th April 2005, 10:02 AM
When I lived in Albury there were a number of classes at the TAFE, have you tried there?

keppar
10th April 2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks Will try TAFE first thing

Kev Y.
10th April 2005, 10:16 AM
Keppar, I thoght this would have been the OBVIOUS place to look as well!

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/vicwood.html

I did a course with vic several years ago and am thinking of a re-visit.

rsser
10th April 2005, 04:10 PM
And Andrew won't do individual lessons any more?

Yes, Vic Wood, if he still does his two-day intensives.

Maybe Steven Hughes.

Mulgabill
10th April 2005, 06:06 PM
Keppar,
You may try to contact the Woodturners of Goulburn Valley Inc in Shepparton.
John Griffin, Secretary,Tel: (03) 58311606
or;
Albury-Wodonga Woodcrafters Inc, c/- Ed Kilo, 2 Griffith Street, WODONGA (sorry no contact phone number)

They may run occassional courses or know of local contacts.

keppar
11th April 2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks all Would you have a contact source for Steven Hughes?

rsser
11th April 2005, 10:17 AM
No, sorry; Northern suburbs somewhere I believe. Oh, and it's Stephen. He's not listed on the VWA website.

My guess is that'd be an individual lesson proposition too if he still teaches. Check out his articles in AWR to see if there's an email.