PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning disaster - well not quite.

Mobyturns
15th December 2012, 10:17 AM
Found this the other day, not sure if it has been posted before & appologise if it has.

Woodturning Disaster - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlhWF4M9CO4)

Shows a good slowmo of a bowl comming apart. Lucky person!

RETIRED
15th December 2012, 12:34 PM
It has been posted before but that is OK, a little reminder every now and again never hurts.

Caused quite a furore on some American boards.

A Duke
15th December 2012, 12:40 PM
Love the disclaimer at the end for Lawyers and like minded types.
Regards

Mobyturns
15th December 2012, 07:37 PM
It has been posted before but that is OK, a little reminder every now and again never hurts.

Oops. No doubt it cause quite a bit of discussion. The thing that strikes me with this one is the flimsy face shield he is using. I'm surprised he got off so lightly.

Trent The Thief
18th December 2012, 05:03 AM
Oops. No doubt it cause quite a bit of discussion. The thing that strikes me with this one is the flimsy face shield he is using. I'm surprised he got off so lightly.

The really heavy duty airtrend shields cost and arm and a leg, and the Triton's with the helmet seem to have been discontinued here (I don't know why).

Still, you're absolutely right. That chunk could easily have killed him had it bashed him in the temple. After seeing that vid, I've hung up my faceshield (just like his) to save for spraying and ordered a Uvex faceshield.

gus3049
18th December 2012, 05:21 AM
I find it astonishing that turners get so up close and personal to the wood.

When roughing, I always stand well to the side. OK a lump can go anywhere but its most likely to fly out straight. Only when the final shape is done, will I get in close to do any detail work or fine finishing.

I've seen too many bits of wood zoom past me to take the risk.

This man was extremely fortunate.

artme
18th December 2012, 08:33 AM
I watched this a few days back and wad surprised that he didn't
he didn't do more investigating before attempting to turn that.

A probe into the punky stuff at the very least.

Colin62
18th December 2012, 09:26 AM
I strongly suspect that he's doing more investigating before switching the lathe on these days :)

A Duke
18th December 2012, 10:05 AM

Hey ,
Send him a set of your safety videos.:):wink::D
Regards