PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpening

John Saxton
24th October 2001, 08:56 PM
I came across this link that gives an excellent ex'pose on sharpening.
http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/sharptoolsandequip.html

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

barrysumpter
1st November 2001, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where I can take my ax and my fencing pike to get them sharpened?

I'm in SE subs of melb.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

ubeaut
1st November 2001, 12:53 PM
Jeez Barry - You mean to tell us that in amongst all of that that Triton equipment you haven't got a grinder. Well I'll be blowed. I guess Triton don't make one.

Maybe you should have a club night on sharpening and use the TAFE eqyipment.

Most saw doctors and mobile sharpening services will do the job for you, but in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a bench grinder and do it yourself.

Cheers - Neil:}

Gino
6th November 2001, 10:07 PM
Good one john.

fcm
21st November 2001, 12:16 PM
If your still looking for somewhere give Richmond Saw & Tool Sharpening a try (near the corner of Swan & Church St Richmond - Melb.).

Diamond files are well worth the investment, but I got sick of the inlaws presenting their blunt knives ever time we visited.

As for angle grinders, I've seen some good equipment ruined in the blink of an eye.

Mark

ubeaut
21st November 2001, 11:55 PM
Anyone who takes an angle grinder to an edged tool should be taken out and given a good flogging.

Don't all stand in line saying you just used an angle grinder. I don't mean that kind of flogging.

Roger Peine
5th December 2001, 10:27 AM
I have had really great service from "Blademaster" who are a mobile service or; if you would rather, they will pick up and drop off next day. There prices are really good. In the yella pages.

Evan Pavlidis
9th December 2001, 03:30 AM
Barry,

Try Bunnings, Bizz Buzz Hardware or Mitre 10.
They all have sharpening services if you don't have a bench grinder.

Cheers,
Evan

Black Bear
17th February 2009, 08:13 PM
I once saw a blade sharpener, like the optional attachment on a Makita Planer that attached to the planer after relocating the belt drive.

The one I saw was a stand alone small bench (type) grinder with a angled wheel and an angled rest for the blades to slide on.

It is ideal, I think, for sharpening blaeds of jointers, and I reckon I could do my 300mm tickensser blades on it as well.

Now, As the politicians say, having said that, let me say this, does anyone know if these sharpeners are available, if they are within a small price bracket and if they would be successful for the home bloke.

All suggestions treated with the greatest respect.

PS: transformer oil from your local elecrtricity supply authority, mixed with the correct amount of kero, is about the best honing oil I have ever used. It is super fine and uncontaminated. AND does not clog up the honing stones.

The supply authorities change the oil on the transformes on a regular basis, sometimes filtering the oil and reusing it, other times tossing some out.

It is used in electrical transformers as a coolant, and I think it is vegie oil.

I supplied some lapidary blokes with some and they used it for final grind/polish on stones and they loved it.

fletty
17th February 2009, 10:04 PM
PS: transformer oil from your local elecrtricity supply authority, mixed with the correct amount of kero, is about the best honing oil I have ever used. It is super fine and uncontaminated. AND does not clog up the honing stones.

The supply authorities change the oil on the transformes on a regular basis, sometimes filtering the oil and reusing it, other times tossing some out.

It is used in electrical transformers as a coolant, and I think it is vegie oil.

I've worked with transformers and transformer oil for the last 30 years and it is amazing stuff. It is definitely mineral oil, usually napthanic, and only comes from a select few oil fields. There is a bit of a push to use vegetable oil in a few locations where a spill would be disastrous but mineral oil still accounts for 99%. In addition to sharpening it has a few other 'foreign order' applications. One I admit to using back in the days when I serviced my own vehicles was during oil changes. Drain out the old oil, refill with transformer oil, run the motor for 5 minutes and redrain. The crud that came out with the oil was absolutely frightening but the motor was spotless inside and out.
It IS very good for sharpening because it has no additives. Even sewing machine oil had additives to stop it from going "off". Good stuff!

Fletty