PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Cutting Wood

BenHillier
20th December 2012, 04:20 PM
Hi, I am really not the greatest when it comes to wood, so I was wondering if someone could shed some light:

I have a bunch of these rough cuts that I did with a circular saw and was wondering what would be the best
way to get it down to the pencil line while keeping a perfectly square edge.

Thankyou very much!
- Ben

Wongo
20th December 2012, 05:29 PM
A straight edge, a router and a flush trim bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm576bsYPps

mic-d
20th December 2012, 07:16 PM
Or if you don't have a router, get a finer blade (more teeth) for your circular saw and run it against a straight edge.

Robson Valley
21st December 2012, 03:46 AM
Finally, I clamped a piece of junk wood to the bench and drew a line.
Just after I started the cut with a Skil saw, I quit and put the shutoff saw back into the cut.
I measured very, very carefully and made a nick with a 3-cornered file
in the front of the Skilsaw shoe to mark exactly where the left side of the blade was cutting.
a) finer-tooth blade is a big help.
b) a very sharp blade is a big help.
c) running the saw against a straight-edge is the most help.
d) a much better bench saw with an 80 tooth x 25cm/10" TC blade did wonders.

I know a guy who does relief carved door panels. Hard to believe but he uses a Skil saw to hog out
large areas of low relief. A Lancelot blade in an angle grinder it is not. But it works!

dr4g0nfly
21st December 2012, 07:21 AM
A Plane!

China
22nd December 2012, 01:20 AM
What he said :aro-u:

pmcgee
26th December 2012, 06:54 PM
A fine-toothed handsaw (12 ppi) with little set to the teeth :)

enelef
27th December 2012, 08:16 AM
assuming the distance from the line to the edge is less than 1mm (on average) - use a block plane - coming in from each end of the board to reduce tear out.
If the distance in more than a couple of mm - use a fine saw to cust along the line. - Can't cut along a straight line? Practice some more on off-cuts.:)

ian
27th December 2012, 08:51 AM
Hi, I am really not the greatest when it comes to wood, so I was wondering if someone could shed some light:

I have a bunch of these rough cuts that I did with a circular saw and was wondering what would be the best
way to get it down to the pencil line while keeping a perfectly square edge.

Thankyou very much!
- Ben
hi Ben, welcome to the forums
what wood working tools do you already have?
what is your budget?
A bunch of us could easily spend big dollars "solving" your problem, but knowing what you're trying to build and what tools you own or can borrow will really help.

Twisted Tenon
30th December 2012, 07:41 PM
Hi Ben
welcome to this forum. There is heaps of good device to be found here. It looks like you made the cuts free hand, if that is the case you may want to clamp a straight edge to the piece before you cut.

TT

joe greiner
31st December 2012, 04:09 AM
A fine-toothed handsaw (12 ppi) with little set to the teeth :)

Further to that, scribe the line with a utility knife, and scribe a shallow V-shaped trench on the waste side. The vertical cut guides the handsaw, and the sloping side of the trench holds it in position.

Cheers,
Joe

cadas
1st January 2013, 10:18 PM
There is no reason with a circular saw why you can't cut to the line.

First, with a straight edge, use a utility knife to cut along the line, this will reduce the tear out you are getting.

Then measure your saw from the blade to the edge of the saw sole plate.

Clamp a straight edge that distance away from the line and run the saw through slowly.

Straight cuts come from running the saw against a straight edge.

Bloss
2nd January 2013, 10:03 AM
Saw guides are cheap as chips - and allow accurate cutting to a line at most angles using a circular or hand saw eg: Protractor & Saw Guide : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/protractor-saw-guide_c3750) or if you want to get fancy try this Aussie invention Aus Angle (http://www.ausangle.com/)