PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Pine Sphere

torchwood
21st December 2012, 10:04 AM
Gday all, do you ever get an idea in your head and it won’t go away until you make it. This cypress pine sphere just had to be made. It has a 3" diameter. Sanded to 1200 and then the usual uuee polish. I needed to try and see how round I could make it. No reason for it, it will serve no purpose, but now it’s out of my head. Must be part of the addiction.There’s no hope I tell ya! A big thank you to all who helped and encouraged me this year. And a Merry Christmas to all the forum members. Cheers Harry

Bruce White
21st December 2012, 10:39 AM
Well done Harry - you finally got aROUND to it!

enelef
21st December 2012, 10:46 AM
credit where credit is due. It takes balls for that sort of thing.
:B

Paul39
21st December 2012, 11:02 AM
Cypress Pine Sphere
Does the pine come with the red streak? Very nice.

I make mushrooms, eggs, and weed pots when I have a too small piece of interesting timber. I'll have to try a sphere.

A famous turner once said "the less useful something is, the more money I can get for it".

torchwood
21st December 2012, 11:24 AM
Cypress Pine Sphere

Does the pine come with the red streak? Very nice.

I make mushrooms, eggs, and weed pots when I have a too small piece of interesting timber. I'll have to try a sphere.

A famous turner once said "the less useful something is, the more money I can get for it".

Yes, the red streaks and lines were in the wood (the only interesting thing on this piece of wood)
As for that quote, I hope the customers feel the same.:D Cheers

Christos
21st December 2012, 06:33 PM
Gday all, do you ever get an idea in your head and it won’t go away until you make it. ........... but now it’s out of my head........

Lets see if we can implant something else in your head?

Well done on the sphere.

Jonzjob
21st December 2012, 09:24 PM
Well done mate !! That is obviously well within your sphere init already :D Nice finish too.

I do believe that you took the more difficult route by putting a foot on it ! It isn't seperate is it? If you don't have the foot you can make a chuck to hold it between concave centers and turn the sphere lontitudenally through 90º to take the knibs off the 'ends' and make it completely spherical.

JC ! I'll have to find a dark room to lie down in after those long words :o

TTIT
21st December 2012, 10:34 PM
You got to that pretty quickly really - I've been turning about 10 years now and only did my first sphere this year - and so far it has been my last :shrug: :U

dr4g0nfly
22nd December 2012, 04:03 AM
I bet you had a Ball turning that :B

You don''t give dimensions or finish details though. Care to share?

artme
22nd December 2012, 07:10 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: