PDA

View Full Version : My new set-up

dai sensei
22nd December 2012, 10:05 AM
I took a package at work and retired last month. I always wanted a van of some sort and used some of my package to buy a new car and camper. The car is a Mazda BT50 dual cab, automatic 3.2 turbo-charged diesel with a 1.95m tray, underside tool boxes, Ironman load savers (to help with loads) and a few other accessories.

246459 246457 246458

The camper is a Active Campers' pop-up Avantage slide-on camper, with solar power, dual deep cell batteries and a heap of other accessories.

246460 246461 246462

246463 246464

I haven't taken any photos inside yet as I am going to make a few mods first, adding shelves, microwave/oven etc. It has queen bed (expandable to king if I do meet a group of Swedish back-packers :rolleyes::U), kitchen with fridge/stove/sink/fridge, plus toilet and shower (in entry). Here are a few from Active Campers' web site (Vantage Slide on Camper « Active Campers – 4WD Slide On Campers (http://activecampers.com.au/our-products/vantage/))

246465 246466 246467 246468 246469 246471

Got some work to do over the next few weeks, then I head off with my trailer in tow (with turning/milling gear :U) carefully loaded, heading to Melbourne and return over 3 months. Lots more trips to be had, this is just the first.

Cheers

Avery
22nd December 2012, 10:10 AM
Looks like a great setup. I'm jealous.

tdrumnut
22nd December 2012, 10:25 AM
Well done Neil, good luck with your travels heres hoping they are all safe ones.
Cheers Rumnut

BobL
22nd December 2012, 11:31 AM
Yep dead jealous. My redundancy payout has to go straight into my super. Might be going for a small off road camper trailer some time in the following year.

Ruddy
22nd December 2012, 11:45 AM
Enjoy it...looks like a good plan to me.

DJ’s Timber
22nd December 2012, 11:49 AM
Nice one Neil :2tsup:

2 or 4wd?

Scott
22nd December 2012, 02:19 PM
Very jealous. I'm 17 years away from achieving that. Love the car/camper combo, very slick. Enjoy your retirement, well deserved :)

dabbler
22nd December 2012, 04:48 PM
Good looking setup. Is the enough solar/battery to power your mobile lathe ?

Grommett
22nd December 2012, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the world of the grey nomads. We plan on doing your trip in reverse next winter.
Great looking rig.👍

Optimark
22nd December 2012, 09:26 PM
Slide-ons are great, we've had ours for a couple of years now. I retired in August this year and we've just arrived home after a two and a half month trip to places various.

You may though start to stretch the vehicle a bit if your trailer has a heavy ball weight, there is a lot of weight behind the rear axle as it is.

Our vehicle is a space-cab chassis, which also has a restricted tray back, however we have had our chassis extended with a wheel base now of 3,500mm; best thing we've done. QLD is where you get your chassis extended, if you ever contemplate it.

We are in Melbourne, if your interested we could meet up.

Mick.246529

dai sensei
23rd December 2012, 12:32 AM
2 or 4wd?

4WD, knew I forgot something :rolleyes:. I have been caught out a few time without 4WD trying to get timber out from farms.

Good looking setup. Is the enough solar/battery to power your mobile lathe ?

Nah, that would be asking a lot. I will only be using the lathe when I have 240V access. Mind you, I do have a mobile 13hp (10KW) generator I could pack if need be :U

You may though start to stretch the vehicle a bit if your trailer has a heavy ball weight, there is a lot of weight behind the rear axle as it is.

Our vehicle is a space-cab chassis, which also has a restricted tray back, however we have had our chassis extended with a wheel base now of 3,500mm; best thing we've done. QLD is where you get your chassis extended, if you ever contemplate it.

We are in Melbourne, if your interested we could meet up.

Yes, definitely stretching its capacity. I put the load helpers on to ease the dragging rear end issues, but I will have to ensure the trailer is packed well so the tow ball load is minimised. The camper unloaded is 500kgs, so allowing for 85 ltr tank, 2 batteries, cloths, food, tools and all my extras (and myself/others), it will be probably close to the ton. The payload of this Mazda is only 1.14t, so I want to keep the ball weight down to "liftable unaided". Mind you, I will be taking it over the scales, measuring all axles to check axled loads and GCM.

I will be in Melbourne late Feb, so yes we could catch up, I will be travelling to a few places - 's, Jim's, Neil's (ie the harbour loop :U) plus others. I will also be going to the Wagga Wagga Turnabout if you are into turning.

Cheers

Sturdee
26th December 2012, 09:56 PM
I will be in Melbourne late Feb, so yes we could catch up, I will be travelling to a few places - 's, Jim's, Neil's (ie the harbour loop :U) plus others. I will also be going to the Wagga Wagga Turnabout if you are into turning.

Cheers

And whilst you're in Melbourne I'll be up on the Gold Coast visiting my in-laws during the last week in Feb. Was planning on calling in and saying g'day but now not possible. :C

Peter.

dai sensei
26th December 2012, 11:27 PM
And whilst you're in Melbourne I'll be up on the Gold Coast visiting my in-laws during the last week in Feb. Was planning on calling in and saying g'day but now not possible. :C

Peter.

:doh: :U

dai sensei
4th January 2013, 08:15 PM
Ok I have almost finished the fit-out, just some minor little shelf caddies, then make the bed and fill the shelves etc.

Electrics - I added a few 240V and 12V power points, plus an inverter (300W constant, 600W max) for fan and chargers. The power points are in the open, but the rest and supporting cabling/junction boxes are under the seats. I wasn't happy with having these exposed to moving items, so resized some old fly wire screens from the house to cover them, I also added a few vents around the inverter (these things get pretty hot even with its own fan). Under the sink the power point for the fridge and heater plus the circuit breaker needs access, but the actual water heater needed some protection for the canned items that will fill this cupboard, so again I added some modified old fly wire screens.

248142 248143
Kitchen shelf - Primarily for the microwave (also an oven and griller), but I made the remainder of the shelf into a plates/bowls/cups etc cupboard with a lift-up lid. Photos show them with the main camper roof down and cupboard closed, then roof up and cupboard open.

248148 248149

Fold-up shelves plus TV - I needed fold up shelves on both side, one for the fan the other for bedside needs. I made simple boxes that fold up on either side. I also mounted the TV via a pivoting stand so I could watch it from the seating area, or whilst in bed, plus able to fold out of the way whilst sleeping/travelling. Under one shelf is a powerboard for all 240V run off the inverter (fan/chargers etc).

248151 248153 248152 248154 248176

Small vacuum & bathroom - I mounted the vaccumunder the table, but I also put in a few switches to the inverter, plus the multi 12V plug under the seat. This way I don't need to reach in the cupboard to turn things off. In the bathroom I also put in a small mirrored cupboard, a soap/shampoo rack and toilet roll holder etc. Note I have to cover the toilet rolls with plastic bags to ensure they don't get wet when I have a shower. The shower handle actually lifts out of its holder via a flexible hose and connects to the roof holder.

248156 248155

Outside to come

Cheers

dai sensei
4th January 2013, 08:28 PM
Ok outside I put the vent cover and TV/aerial mount, but I also modified the ladder. The ladder was fine for when on the ute, but when off and lowered, it was too big. So I basically cut it in half, slicing it with a piece of timber, but made so when using just the top section the adjustable feet can be inserted.

248160 248159 248158 248157

I also did some plumbing, joining the bathroom area outlet to the sink/heater drains, so there was actually only one outlet. That way when needed, I can add the grey water hose extension, to drain it away to sump outlet or container (required in some national parks) as needed. All this is actually under the camper at the end, just beyond the ute tray floor.

Cheers

Scott
4th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Amazing what you can fit into these things these days. This might seem like a really dumb question, but can you occupy the van whilst it isn't on the back of van?

dai sensei
4th January 2013, 10:01 PM
Amazing what you can fit into these things these days. This might seem like a really dumb question, but can you occupy the van whilst it isn't on the back of van?

Yes. I will be using it whilst in transit on the ute, but when I want to stay for a while and go 4x4 driving, I'll disconnect the trailer and can set-up the camper on its own. In the lowered form off the ute, it is a lot easier getting in and out, due to less steps.

ps I can also still stand in the unit when the top is folder down, to raid the fridge or make a quick cupper whilst travelling :2tsup:.

gawdelpus
5th January 2013, 07:44 AM
Very comprehensive and informative rundown :) I don't know if the square feet on the legs when the unit is free standing, would be all that good in a camping situation ( soft ground ) etc , might make sure you have some suitable sized "plates" as pads for those occasions :) Make a loading checklist as well ,so nothing gets left behind :) Cheers ~ John

Scott
5th January 2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your answer, it looks as though it might over-balance when you're using the sleeping area. You'll have to be careful when being "over-active" :D

It's certainly a great setup Neil, well done.

dai sensei
5th January 2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your answer, it looks as though it might over-balance when you're using the sleeping area. You'll have to be careful when being "over-active" :D

Not that there is likely to be any activities :-, only wishful thinking :U, tipping was also a concern of mine. I was told completely unloaded, they tested this by putting loads right at the end, and it took 300kgs before it started to tip. The legs have also been tested with their safe load 400kgs.

Scott
5th January 2013, 10:59 AM
...tipping was also a concern of mine. I was told completely unloaded, they tested this by putting loads right at the end, and it took 300kgs before it started to tip. The legs have also been tested with their safe load 400kgs.

Being close to 100kg myself, I'd probably put some sort of prop under the sleeping area (note, only if this were me). It'd add some sort of piece of mind.

dai sensei
5th January 2013, 12:00 PM
Being close to 100kg myself, I'd probably put some sort of prop under the sleeping area (note, only if this were me). It'd add some sort of piece of mind.

:U I'm 125kgs :o.

I tend to back the ute up underneath, so if it did tilt, it would only be travelling ~400mm down to the tray and not all the way down to the ground. The cantilever is designed for downward bending under its own weight not uplift due to a prop, plus no end beam support along the far edge, so not sure what damage could be done with a prop. A prop may do more damage than without.

The guy who manufactures them is not small either, not as big as me though, and he and his wife have used theirs often over the past 2 years without any issues.

If I was to consider a prop, I would probably use a beam and column, with say 30-50mm closed cell foam bearing layer on the beam. That way it would actually have to start titling before it came into play.

I'll see how it goes on my first trip.

RETIRED
5th January 2013, 01:25 PM
Neil. You need to put a shelf under the TV when it is in travelling mode. The brackets can sometimes vibrate loose or snap. DAMHIK.:rolleyes:

Wild_Dingo
5th January 2013, 01:56 PM
Just wanted to say two things

1) Good on yer Dai Sensei well done... now get out there and travel the highways and byways!!

2) Thank god that for some reason I cant see the photos!!!

Having bought and moved into a bus (Nissan Civilian) back in March last year and been on the road for pretty much all of that time all I can say otherwise is ITS FREEKIN AWESOME!!! :)

Good luck and enjoy!
Shane

dai sensei
5th January 2013, 10:01 PM
Great to hear from you Shane, been a while since we met over in Perth, I still have some of that veneer you gave me.

Not sure why you can't see the photos, what computer have you got?

cheers

plantagenon
27th January 2013, 01:54 PM
Great looking set up Neil. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: It seems to have everything that anyone could want for an extended trip, including the kitchen sink. The diesel will tow it without any problems. I'm after the same sort of ute but only a 2wd.

BTW, I agree with . Secure your TV or it will come off the wall. You can't leave them hooked up in caravan when travelling or they will snap off the screws. A shelf or adjustable straps to support its weight will probably do the trick.

Have a great trip and take it easy.

Greg

dai sensei
27th January 2013, 11:55 PM
That's what I like about this mount, there is a bracket that is bolted to the wall, but the main pivoting arm fits over the bracket (like a sleeve). Simply loosen a knob screw and the TV and pivoting arm comes off, so I can secure them for travelling :2tsup:. Sorry , forgot to reply.

Wet weather has delayed my departure. Supposed to leave today, but now looking at Tuesday at earliest, will have to cut short visit at Tuncurry (was to do diving plus visit rellies). The trailer is very very full, the rain must have shrunk it :rolleyes:

Perfect Pens
28th January 2013, 10:37 PM
Hi Neil,

Just found this thread now after John mentioned it to me the other day!! All I can say is what a great little setup :2tsup: looks awesome and hopefully should serve you well. Nothing like doing things in style mate !!
Have a safe trip and keep us up to date with your travel log :D

Cheers
Tony.

Axelvds
21st February 2013, 05:56 PM
Hi,I'm interested in the same slide-on and was wondering ow you went. Did the slide-on work well? Not too much sway while driving the ute? How's the ute itself? Did the battery setup work well? Is 80 liters enough for camping with shower?Cheers, Axel

dai sensei
21st February 2013, 09:02 PM
I love my unit, well made and no real issues, except the dual cab's rear axle can't take it loaded :~ (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f119/all-packed-not-ready-go-165722/). I managed to get the loads within limits and the car travelled really well, the sway was minimised by installing Load Savers, but I had to do something about the GVM so I am having a Lazy Axle fitted whilst in Melbourne (ps I will be selling the Load Savers). If you are considering any side-on, check to ensure you car can actually take it, with a load in it. This one's 500kgs quoted weight is for when it is VERY EMPTY, more like 1000kgs lightly loaded, plus your car's load capacity is when it too is completely empty.

I got the 2 batteries and solar power extras, so the 12V power lasts at least 3 days, running the fridge my CPAP machine and a few lights. The water is 85 litres and last again 3 days so long as the showers are very short and you don't waste any (but I am on my own). As I said previously, it is a well made unit, with only quality components and all fitting etc in SS.

Cheers

Foo
26th February 2013, 03:58 PM
But have you used it in anger yet?:)

Foo