PDA

View Full Version : Jet drumsander querie?????????

sandman
10th April 2005, 11:09 PM
I have set up new 22/44 Pro drumsander unit & am very happy with initial testing.
What I would like to know is the following:
Unit comes complete with 1 x 3" wide #80 grit cloth backed sandpaper which spirals around drum.
Problem is that I have purchased quality 4" & 6" wide rolls of papers in various other grits and require info on how to cut taper on them to fit to drum correctly.
What is the trick?????
I don't want to have to rip down cloth backed paper from 4"/6" down to only 3" and have a useless (very expensive) scrap piece left over.
Kind regards Sandman.

bitingmidge
10th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Cut a strip of 6" paper (normal newspaper will do) and wind it on to get a prototype.

Cheers,

P

stephenmeddings
11th April 2005, 05:10 PM
My brother just baught one of those and he is very happy as well. If you already have the paper then you will just need to loose that extra 1". As for the taper just lay the supplied one over top of your new roll and cut with a sharp knife. You can by different grits in long rolls to suit but you just need to cut the taper and length. Talk to the Woodworking Warehouse (Braeside) they should be able to help you out.

sandman
11th April 2005, 09:16 PM
Tried what I thought was right, however, the angle of taper seems to change when going to a wider paper. Also using wider paper doesn't quite seem to work out right at the other end when spiralled aroud drum.
don't wish to waste anymore precious paper until I find out the correct way to do it!
Thank you both for your input so far,
Regards Sandman.

echnidna
11th April 2005, 09:35 PM
I Split my 6" paper into 2 of 3" strips and make 2 belts at a time.
I used the original belt as a pattern .
Keep telling myself to make a pattern outa 3mm mdf but keep ignoring myself.
I'd probably just trim 1 " off the 4" stuff.

QldWoodie
12th April 2005, 10:59 AM
You can work it out mathematically.

Measure the diameter of the drum exactly. Let's say this is 4 inches. Then the circumference = one wrap, perpendicular to the axis of the drum is pi x 4 inches = 3.14159 x 4 = 12.5664 inches. This is the length of the diagonal on the outside edge of your first wrap. After the paper wraps around the drum it needs to advance 6 inches along the drum for the wraps to line up. Use pythagorus therom (remember that!) Right angle triangle - one side 6 inches, diagonal = 12.5664 inches. Other side = 12.5664 squared, minus 36 (6 squared) - take square root = 11.04 inches along line of your 6 inch wide paper.

Thus - measure 11.04 inches along the edge of your paper. Draw a right angle. Draw diagonal line. This line should be 12.566 inches long. Cut. Same at other end. You can also work out the length of paper mathematically once you know the length of the drum, but enough from me for one day

Qw

zymurgy
12th April 2005, 05:43 PM
Sandman,

May I enquire as to what these units cost.

Gordon.

sandman
12th April 2005, 11:17 PM
Purchased on sale (as pictured in Oct AWW Mag) for $2200 + Jet DC1200 Dust extractor with large pleated filter, another $1000+.
The papers are very expensive via JET so I purchased 4 grits. (#80, #120,
#180 & #240). I got them at a reasonable price ($650 for 50m of each roll).

Are for real with the maths on this??
I'll give it a go tommorow night.
If it does work out, I'm gonna learn to recite the formula & tell every smart **** I know just to **** em!
Drum is 5" diameter x 22" long.
Now do the math on that!!
Thanks for all the input folks, good job, especially that "formula"!
Regards Sandman.

QldWoodie
13th April 2005, 03:40 PM
Drum is 5" diameter x 22" long.
Now do the math on that!!
Well, now I don't normally do free maths on account of the wearing out effects on the brain, but try this:

The cut-off at each end should be a diagonal 15.7 inches long, which requires you to strike off 14.5 inches from the end for 6 inch wide paper. You will have a similar triangular cut-off shape at the other end (make sure you make the long side on the opposite side of the sandpaper). If you make the total length 72.1 inches long it should be right. BUT (Important BUT!) because you are using 6" wide paper not 4" the holding clip on the in-board end might not line up. But this is another problem for another day.

Qw

sandman
14th April 2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks QW, I will try that & let you know.
Regards Sandman. :)

sandman
19th April 2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your comments all.
Qld Woodie, you are very clever & your formula's would work a treat if the length of drum was correct for the width of paper being wrapped!
Problem as you cleverly forecasted was that when wrapped, the point of end taper may not be in correct position on outfeed end of drum to attach!
In the wash up after a few trials with newspaper (as also suggested) I cam to the conclusion that I had to cut all papers to 3" wide.
This now leaves me with some 1" strips of sandpaper for turning.
It's quite a time consuming task to cut it all up. I have made a template with 3mm white backing board (mDF) using the original supplied sheet of sandpaper. So far, so good.
Thanks again for your help foks.
Kind regards,
Sandman.

Bob Willson
19th April 2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Sandman
You don't have to cut the paper, it will tear.

sandman
20th April 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Bob,
I realise it tears but, over approx 3metres in length I thought it may stray a bit! Also the crowd I purchased from (SIP in Melb- Swedish s/paper)
said best way was a "good" pr scissors! Unfortunately it only comes in 4" or 6" wide rolls.
what's your experience in tearing long strips like?
Kind regards Sandman.

Wayne Davy
20th April 2005, 09:43 PM
Sandman,

Straight edge and blade knife is the go I've found. I like you got some paper for my cheap carbatec version in 4" and could not get it to fit so in the clips so had to cut it down. Forget the scissors - too much like hard work. Oh, put a new blade in the blade knife and it goes real easy.

Bob Willson
21st April 2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Sandman

I have found that cheap paper runs off a bit, but good paper tears straight as a die.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter if it is a bit off so long as it is a bit smaller rather than larger. Gaps in the windings don't hurt a bit.