PDA

View Full Version : Sweet looking backsaw.

planemaker
28th December 2012, 08:30 PM
Hi all. Attached are photo's of another recent backsaw I completed. The handle is made from Queensland Maple. A superb timber to work with.AFT - 351 Plummer Street Port Melb. PH: 9646 1081 (http://www.afttimbers.com/maple%20QLD.htm)

Regards; Stewie.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/backsaw%20pictorial/DSC_0018.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/backsaw%20pictorial/DSC_0019.jpg

wolften
28th December 2012, 08:38 PM
...very nice looking saw.Gotta love that QLD maple.

planemaker
28th December 2012, 08:59 PM
...very nice looking saw.Gotta love that QLD maple.

Hi wolften. First time user of Qld. Maple. Its superb timber to work with. Very happy I purchased a full slab of it.

Stewie;

IanW
29th December 2012, 08:54 AM
... First time user of Qld. Maple. Its superb timber to work with...

Stewie -it's up there with the best, alright, though the really highly figured stuff will test your planing skills! Its only 'fault' is that the grain is a little coarse, so takes a bit of fussing to get a really nice finish like you've got on yours. Nicely done, again.......

Cheers,

planemaker
29th December 2012, 03:19 PM
Stewie -it's up there with the best, alright, though the really highly figured stuff will test your planing skills! Its only 'fault' is that the grain is a little coarse, so takes a bit of fussing to get a really nice finish like you've got on yours. Nicely done, again.......

Cheers,

Hi Ian. The extra effort to achieve a good finsh with this timber is all the worth when the natural color & highlights start to really shine through. Here is a 2 more recent backsaws I have completed.

Jarrah Handle.
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/backsaw%20pictorial/DSC_0020.jpg

Tas.Tiger Myrtle.
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/backsaw%20pictorial/DSC_0016.jpg

Regards; Stewie.

section1
29th December 2012, 03:54 PM
These are excellent saws I just spent a fortune on the same type from LN, btw how much did the timber cost you if I may ask. I'd like to use some maple on some clocks.

planemaker
29th December 2012, 04:17 PM
These are excellent saws I just spent a fortune on the same type from LN, btw how much did the timber cost you if I may ask. I'd like to use some maple on some clocks.

You will find this timber superb to work with.. It would be unfair of me to quote you the price I paid for the slab I purchased. 2.4m x 600mm x 43mm. But I can supply you the link to the seller. He has much more available.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f222/tropical-hardwood-slabs-160096/

Regards; Stewie.

artme
29th December 2012, 04:42 PM
Yep!! Certainly very photogenic work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

section1
29th December 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that Stewie I may give it a go.

planemaker
29th December 2012, 05:11 PM
Yep!! Certainly very photogenic work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks artme. Purchasing a quality digital camera helped improve my photo work a lot.

Stewie;

Nanigai
29th December 2012, 06:06 PM
Nice saws Stewie, your work on the handles is impressive, well done.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers, Ian

chook
29th December 2012, 08:37 PM
Pictures like these are good for me to see. Every time I am tempted to think I am a bit clever somebody posts a picture like yours and I realise just how far I have to go. Beautiful looking piece of work. Apart from humility these things have encouraged me to have a go at some new things myself and particularly making my own tools. My next project (or my next after my next) is a brass inlay cutting gauge. I bought an old Spear and Jackson saw and a saw file so that I can learn to sharpen saws as a preliminary to making one. I have had one go at sharpening a saw-a Veritas rip saw- and I don't think I made it any worse!

planemaker
29th December 2012, 08:56 PM
Nice saws Stewie, your work on the handles is impressive, well done.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian.

Stewie;

planemaker
29th December 2012, 09:08 PM
Pictures like these are good for me to see. Every time I am tempted to think I am a bit clever somebody posts a picture like yours and I realise just how far I have to go. Beautiful looking piece of work. Apart from humility these things have encouraged me to have a go at some new things myself and particularly making my own tools. My next project (or my next after my next) is a brass inlay cutting gauge. I bought an old Spear and Jackson saw and a saw file so that I can learn to sharpen saws as a preliminary to making one. I have had one go at sharpening a saw-a Veritas rip saw- and I don't think I made it any worse!

The best of luck chook with your ongoing woodwork projects. I am no different to yourself. Seeing what others are able to achieve with their hands continues to amaze me.

Regards Stewie;

Isaac S
30th December 2012, 02:23 AM
Your saws just get better and better, Stewie. I really like the woods, too. So different from what we have here.

planemaker
30th December 2012, 12:54 PM
Your saws just get better and better, Stewie. I really like the woods, too. So different from what we have here.

Thanks for the feedback Isaac. If you able to keep this forum updated with photo's of your saw making work I am sure the members here would be most appreciative.

Stewie;

RayG
30th December 2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Stewie,

Very Impressive work, I like the clean crisp uncluttered lines that you've been able to achieve. I think that you've mastered the detail and classic lines, every saw seems to be better than the last. Not an easy thing to do with such beautiful work.

Just perfect! Love it! :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

planemaker
30th December 2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Stewie,

Very Impressive work, I like the clean crisp uncluttered lines that you've been able to achieve. I think that you've mastered the detail and classic lines, every saw seems to be better than the last. Not an easy thing to do with such beautiful work.

Just perfect! Love it! :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

Thanks Ray. I had the benefit of some very good mentors.

Stewie;